Aches and pains... Oh my!

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just recently started in a new class: Ba Gua! Well, I'm also doing TKD still (obviously), but my legs were sore after the new class. They weren't so bad that night, but I had TKD the following evening. To make things worse, my instructor had the entire class do all of the forms from white belt up to your respective rank- I'm brown belt (almost black)... So that means I did thirteen (and half of one I'm still learning). Of course, they all have to be good, low stances- can't just walk through them. Well, by the time I got to # 11, I was practically walking through the rest.

So, if your legs are especially sore, how do you handle it? Are there any suggestions for next time, to make the next night not so painful (outside of dropping the new class)? Stories?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I just recently started in a new class: Ba Gua! Well, I'm also doing TKD still (obviously), but my legs were sore after the new class. They weren't so bad that night, but I had TKD the following evening. To make things worse, my instructor had the entire class do all of the forms from white belt up to your respective rank- I'm brown belt (almost black)... So that means I did thirteen (and half of one I'm still learning). Of course, they all have to be good, low stances- can't just walk through them. Well, by the time I got to # 11, I was practically walking through the rest.

So, if your legs are especially sore, how do you handle it? Are there any suggestions for next time, to make the next night not so painful (outside of dropping the new class)? Stories?

Like I said, welcome to the dark side.

It will pass give it time.

I will tell you what my Xingyi sifu told the entire class one day after stance training (and bagua has stance training :EG: )

If it is pain in the joints talk to your instructor and he/she may need to adjust your stance. If it is muscular pain, deal with it, it comes with the territory.

Possibly mean, but he was right and he actually said "shut up, I don't want to hear it" not "deal with it" but I am much nicer than he is, and please don't tell him I said that :uhoh: .

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This won't help during the class, but it will help the day after. At the end of class, lay on the floor with your legs up the wall (move as close to the wall as possible - have someone stand by your head and let you push on their legs to help you get your butt to the wall). Lay there for about 10-15 minutes. This will help the lactic acid drain out of your legs, and you won't be as sore the next day.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mental toughness it only hurts when you laugh remember not to laugh

tkd_Jaz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't know how you feel about taking supplements but I take something called Cell Mass after my TKD classes and it really helps your recovery. The next day I might be just a little sore or not at all. It doesn't do miracles but it sure helps. Also taking creatine supplements like N.O. Explode helps. (I work out a lot so I take both because they work toghether good)

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
give it some time after awhile you wont be in pain anymore. you did do alot of forms that night so it's understandable your legs would be sore.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A lot of it will just be muscle soreness that you can't change (you are after all tearing the muscle fibers in your legs, which in turn makes the grow back bigger and better!)

I would say make sure you stretch after class, really push it (not to the point of pain, but to discomfort). That should help with the soreness. But like others said, it's just part of it. Makes you know you didn't waste your time in class!

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Strength training. It is the only way I make it through my day to day. If I don't do it regularly my legs will start getting sore until I resume it. It may sound crazy, but it works.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I feel if I'm not sore a couple of days after a hard class I haven't worked hard enough. We did patterns and patterns and patterns for most of the lesson last night preparing for our grading and I've got sore shoulders right now.

It'll pass if it's muscle soreness, like Lauren said it'll ease in time as your muscles get stronger and more used to the work. Going at the same rate, I'd say two to three weeks, after 6 weeks you are ready to up your game again :uhyeah: