Those with bad hips...

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
What do you do to help with your painful hips? One thing that I have found very helpful are leg swings twice a day.

If you do leg swings in the morning and the night I found that the pain lessens and your kicks get higher. The leg swings that I do are front and side. Almost like doing stretch kicks but just swinging the leg not kicking.

Only let you legs come to about 90 degrees and do 3 to 4 sets of 10 to 15 swings for each leg and each type of swing.

I use to have extream hip pain in my left side when doing any round kick or side kick. I still do but after starting the leg swings the pain as lessend. My kicks have improved and I am shocked that this works.

I read an article that stated that we do not use the hip joints at full range of motion enough to keep them from shortening thus causing the pain. I started these simple leg swings twice a day (has to be twice a day, morning and night) and it did indeed work.

Just thought I would share.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip!

I have a dumb question...forgive me if I am asking something really obvious...but do you pivot to a complete 90 degrees on your supporting leg when you do round kicks? Not pivoting enough might explain your hip pain in the first place.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
This also helps because you are strengthening the muscles in the area to help support the joint. Pain is your body's way to protect itself from injury.

For example, sit on the floor with legs straight out in front. Now move just one leg out as far as you can to one side. If you have decent amount of flexibility you can almost get it out to the side as you would on a full split, yet many people CAN'T do the splits that far with both legs. Physiologically there is no muscle that connects both legs to each other. So the only thing holding you back is your body's mechanism to protect itself.

This also is not for cases where there IS a diagnosed cause for the pain.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip!

I have a dumb question...forgive me if I am asking something really obvious...but do you pivot to a complete 90 degrees on your supporting leg when you do round kicks? Not pivoting enough might explain your hip pain in the first place.
No dumb questions, just dumb answers. But yes I do. This is only on the left side for me and I tend to think this is due to lack of use. I think this is why the leg swings have helped for me.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What do you do to help with your painful hips? One thing that I have found very helpful are leg swings twice a day.

If you do leg swings in the morning and the night I found that the pain lessens and your kicks get higher. The leg swings that I do are front and side. Almost like doing stretch kicks but just swinging the leg not kicking.

Only let you legs come to about 90 degrees and do 3 to 4 sets of 10 to 15 swings for each leg and each type of swing.

I use to have extream hip pain in my left side when doing any round kick or side kick. I still do but after starting the leg swings the pain as lessend. My kicks have improved and I am shocked that this works.

I read an article that stated that we do not use the hip joints at full range of motion enough to keep them from shortening thus causing the pain. I started these simple leg swings twice a day (has to be twice a day, morning and night) and it did indeed work.

Just thought I would share.

Beer... Alleve & Ibuprofin cocktails... Flexall 454... hot epson salt soaks

Stetching... swing kicks... smash kicks... warming up thoroughly... internal kung fu... Yee Gee Kim Yeung Ma to stretch the outside of my hips & flexors...

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Go to your local weight machine outlet and get yourself a free weight milti hip machine. About $200. Best thing you can do for your hips.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
1. Good range of motion and strength / flexibility exercises.
2. Glucosimine Chondroiton.
3. Agree that proper pivot relieves streee on the joints.
4. Inuprofen, alleve, Tylenol.
Had been prescribed Celebrex but best scrip was Indomethicin. Cheap but some people may have stomach issues. I did not.
5. Cortisone injection worked great for 6 months. Second one not so much.
6. Surgery, removed all painful parts and threw them in the trash.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll suggest that if you are experiencing significant pain during certain types of kicks (or even non-significant pain) you may either be doing the kick incorrectly, or you may be pushing it harder or higher than you should. Kicks that rise up to the side, like roundhouse and side kicks, can cause trouble for the hip joint if you are pushing the height.

You may get away with this for a while if you are young enough, but if you persist in this kind of approach to training, it is likely that you will suffer for it in later years.

As was mentioned before, pain is your body's way of telling you something is wrong. While stretching and other methods that have been mentioned may help you increase your ability and minimize the pain, don't ignore the fact altogether. Maybe bringing down the height a bit could give you many more years of solid, injury-free training, while persisting in kicking so high might significantly shorten or even end your training. Hip replacements are really no fun.

Train smart and train for life. Train dumb, and you might have to stop.

garrisons2

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'll try the leg swings, ty. question, do you support yourself with a wall or bar and I assume that you swing from the 3 to the 9 oclock position and back again ,correct? btw on a RH kick we have been taught to pivot the supporting leg 180, not 90

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll try the leg swings, ty. question, do you support yourself with a wall or bar and I assume that you swing from the 3 to the 9 oclock position and back again ,correct? btw on a RH kick we have been taught to pivot the supporting leg 180, not 90
Yes standing at a bar I swing the leg from about just past 6 to 3 or 9 oclock, depending on your swing direction. You only need to swing 90 degrees not 180. 3 to 9 is 180.

Also yes when you kick the support foot in a Hook, Round, or Side kick should be 180 to the target. So the supporting foot needs have toes pointed away from the target.

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I do a similar set both morning and night as well.
But it's a lot of kicking.

Forward, sidewards and backwards both sides.

Knee height - 12 x ¼ speed
Waist height – 12 x ½ speed
Chest height – 12 x ¾ speed
Shoulder height – 12 x 90% speed
Head (maximum) height – 12 x full (safe) speed

Works like a damn magic bullet. One student I recommended to try it is 77 years old, and he's already seeing the benefits.

Along with static, and strength and isometric training, this is a killer stretch routine.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do a similar set both morning and night as well.
But it's a lot of kicking.

Forward, sidewards and backwards both sides.

Knee height - 12 x ¼ speed
Waist height – 12 x ½ speed
Chest height – 12 x ¾ speed
Shoulder height – 12 x 90% speed
Head (maximum) height – 12 x full (safe) speed

Works like a damn magic bullet. One student I recommended to try it is 77 years old, and he's already seeing the benefits.

Along with static, and strength and isometric training, this is a killer stretch routine.
Yep that it is the ticket. Good routine. The hip joint is one joint that never gets a full range of motion workout and is one of the first joints in the body to go becasue of this.