Leg Blocks

W

WilliamTLear

Originally posted by Kempojujutsu

We have a kempo principle, that any kick done below the belt line is block or checked with the legs. Anything done above the belt, we block with forearms or elbows. The reason with don't use the down block for a kick. 2 reasons; 1st you have to drop your one hand to block it and that allows them an opening. 2nd is the leg is like a big dump truck and your arms is like VW Bug if they hit the bug does stop the truck, but it is usually destroyed. Yes I may have stop his income kick with my down block but at what cost if I can't use that arm after the block.
Bob :asian:

I've done downward blocks against many, many very real kicks... and have never injured my arm doing so. What kind of Kick/Block do you have in mind, so that I can picture this a little better?

Sincerely,
Billy Lear

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Man I jammed 2 of my fingers on my left hand blocking a kick.. that was at least 3 months ago and they are still hurting like crazy~!! It was during a sparring match and the guy's kick I blocked (downward block) didn't even show any emotion. .not a single.. "are you alright?" I stomped around the studio holding my hand for a few minutes.. and went right back to the match..
I also blocked once back Christmas time with a shin block.. next day ended up at the ER with cellulitis.. I am now quite the 'Armadillo' Shin pads forearm guards.. I wear a full glove on my jammed finger hand.. open one on my right.. No matter how you block.. there is potential for injury..

W

WilliamTLear

Originally posted by KenpoTess

No matter how you block.. there is potential for injury..

That's something I can agree with.

QUESTION:

What kind of kick was it that you blocked when you jammed your fingers? And was it a downward block or a pushdown block that you were doing when you hurt them?

Thanks,
Billy Lear

P.S. Seig... Elbow checks are cool too.

OP
K

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have never heard of a push down block.The block (down block) I am talking about is like most traditional down blocks. Arm is up in fighting / guard stance, swing arm in semi circle till it comes close to your thigh. I am not here to change anyone from the down block to the knee block. All I am saying is we don't teach the down block for a round/shin/front kick, I believe it is to easy to hurt your forearm or hand. Plus you drop one hand down which leaves that side of your face open. You can do fakes with your legs. Fake he tries to block it hook punch him into the middle of next week. If the down block is that great of a tool. Why don't most Muay Thai guys use it. The Muay Thai I have seen they either leg kick the kick or leg block it, or side step and parry it with a cup hand. They don't meet force with force. They know there arms are too valuable to use for blocking a leg kick.

W

WilliamTLear

Originally posted by Kempojujutsu

I have never heard of a push down block.The block (down block) I am talking about is like most traditional down blocks. Arm is up in fighting / guard stance, swing arm in semi circle till it comes close to your thigh. I am not here to change anyone from the down block to the knee block. All I am saying is we don't teach the down block for a round/shin/front kick, I believe it is to easy to hurt your forearm or hand. Plus you drop one hand down which leaves that side of your face open. You can do fakes with your legs. Fake he tries to block it hook punch him into the middle of next week. If the down block is that great of a tool. Why don't most Muay Thai guys use it. The Muay Thai I have seen they either leg kick the kick or leg block it, or side step and parry it with a cup hand. They don't meet force with force. They know there arms are too valuable to use for blocking a leg kick.

Now that you put it into context... I totally agree! I would never try to execute a downward block against a round-house kick from a stationary stance either, If I were going to employ a downward block I would either move toward my attacker to jam his kick while simultaneously bashing him in the face with my other hand... or circle away from my attacker, before executing the block, so that I don't absorb the impact of the kick at it's apex (where maximum damage from a round-house kick occours).

As for meeting force with force... Borrowed force is a useful tool only if you are using a hard weapon against a soft-tissue target. Shin Bone against Forearm isn't a good idea. I agree with you there too.

Lastly, let me explain what a "Push-Down Block" is:

It is similar to a downward heel-palm strike. In the ideal phase it can be executed against your opponenets quad while he's trying to knee you in the groin (like a shoot-fighter would). If done correctly in this type of situation it could cause a charlie-horse effect, and inflict considerable pain to your opponents leg.

Take Care,
Billy Lear :asian:

OP
K

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by WilliamTLear

As for meeting force with force... Borrowed force is a useful tool only if you are using a hard weapon against a soft-tissue target. Shin Bone against Forearm isn't a good idea. I agree with you there too.

Lastly, let me explain what a "Push-Down Block" is:

It is similar to a downward heel-palm strike. In the ideal phase it can be executed against your opponenets quad while he's trying to knee you in the groin (like a shoot-fighter would). If done correctly in this type of situation it could cause a charlie-horse effect, and inflict considerable pain to your opponents leg.

Take Care,
Billy Lear :asian:

Bill, I would have to agree with you also with both items above. Using their force to drive a very hard weapon into their leg (knee / elbow would be great. Also I guess we do that push down block against that knee attack. Also use the elbow. I am glad we both agree on the same things.
Bob :D

W

WilliamTLear

Sometimes it's hard to realte without putting things into context... alot of flame wars come about because of mis-understandings, and mis-communication.

Hasta,
Billy

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by WilliamTLear

That's something I can agree with.

QUESTION:

What kind of kick was it that you blocked when you jammed your fingers? And was it a downward block or a pushdown block that you were doing when you hurt them?

Thanks,
Billy Lear

P.S. Seig... Elbow checks are cool too.

Billy.. it was push down block and the 6'3" guy kept on extending his front kick.. middle and ring finger went back and jammed good.. I suspect I broke them.. never went to the docs.. but do they ever still hurt.. ~!!
I wear my 'lobster claw mitt on that hand .. never again will that happen ..

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was going to say, I just use my ribs hoping to hurt the foot :D

Move, don't be there when it lands.

This is true, but I have training partner that kicks real fast, and sometimes this isn't an option.

:asian:

Latest Discussions