Leg Blocks

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have looked at some different kenpo sites, that list their kenpo techniques. Nackord Kenpo karate, United States kenpo karate, Baker family kenpo karate, just to name a few. I didn't see any defense for kicks that used a leg block. I know this doesn't mean you guys that do Parker/Tracy/American kenpo don't do leg blocks. Just want to here from you. If you don't know what I am talking about. It is where you bring your leg up driving the knee into the leg. Do you have any stop hits where you kick the incoming kick.

Bob Thomas:asian:

K

Kirk

Originally posted by Kempojujutsu

I have looked at some different kenpo sites, that list their kenpo techniques. Nackord Kenpo karate, United States kenpo karate, Baker family kenpo karate, just to name a few. I didn't see any defense for kicks that used a leg block. I know this doesn't mean you guys that do Parker/Tracy/American kenpo don't do leg blocks. Just want to here from you. If you don't know what I am talking about. It is where you bring your leg up driving the knee into the leg. Do you have any stop hits where you kick the incoming kick.

I THINK I know the answer to that, but I'm sooo
not qualified to say. I'll be majorly excited if what I'm thinking
is in fact correct.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
. Do you have any stop hits where you kick the incoming kick (where you bring your leg up driving the knee into the leg)Bob Thomas

Great Question Bob,

Allow me to give my perspective...... In the lower levels of Kenpo we stress a more passive defense. But as one advances to the higher levels of the Art, one adds dimension. By that I mean "A good defense is a great offense" We turn once thought to be passive or defensive maneuvers into "striking blocks or maneuvers". So, exactly what you stated is a very real option for anyone. It not only cuts of the opponents offense but aids in timing an halting the mounting of momentum which increases the ability to surprise the opponent by a strong attacking response and bring mental confusion to the attacker.

You bet we do... it also aids in the execution of take downs and sweeps.

:asian:

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Bob Thomas:asian:

As with defending punches or weapons one of the best places to block at is, where the punch or weapon starts. Usually the elbow(sometimes shoulder, depends on your angle). If you check or strike at the elbow when the attack is started you can stop the attack before the attack has gained momentum. The same thing can be done with the legs. Either the hip or knee (or even foot and ankle) will stop the attack from being executed. Thus being more aggressive and maybe even more effective.

Michael

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I see white, yellow and orange belts use leg blocks all the time, although it's just them getting scared and bringing their leg up to try and kick the same time you do. :shrug:

K

Kirk

Originally posted by Klondike93

I see white, yellow and orange belts use leg blocks all the time, although it's just them getting scared and bringing their leg up to try and kick the same time you do

*Whistle innocently*:rolleyes:

R

Rainman

If you look at book four of infinite insights there are leg parries. With the concepts, theories and principles we are able to use them in various ways. If something is not seen in techniques it may be seen in basics, drills, freestyle... Some people have sticking feet drills that are not on any Kenpo sight that I know of yet they exist.

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If your hands can do it your feet can also. How many of you that have been caught on the ground and have done 5 swords(six hands)with your feet? Try it. It is fun.

Michael

K

Kirk

Originally posted by AvPKenpo

If your hands can do it your feet can also. How many of you that have been caught on the ground and have done 5 swords(six hands)with your feet? Try it. It is fun.

Interesting concept! Good aerobic exercise too!

OP
K

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Let's see things your hands can do but your feet can't? Slam dunk a basketball, wipe your butt, pick your nose, Use any kind of Power tool, LOL

Bob Thomas

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Let's see things your hands can do but your feet can't? Slam dunk a basketball, wipe your butt, pick your nose, Use any kind of Power tool, LOL

Bob Thomas

Well have you watched Tool Time lately....................:D :rofl: :D

Michael

C

Chiduce

I think leg blocks are very useful for competition and usefull for the lowerbelt ranks when producing a suki. At least they can figure out that something is not quite working right with their counter attacking offensive! Yet; seriously leg blocks are useful overall. Though, we do not use them in our system or the system which i teach. I think it just depends on the system or style and proper application to jam a prospective leg assualt! Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

F

FLY

Personally, I use my leg to block most kicks (when sparring). I raise my lead leg/knee and slightly drop my corresponding elbow to my knee. Since my leg is already up there, I will generally kick immediately after the block.
I also use the same type of block (it protects to groin ;) ) sometimes when I'm closing in (just out of punching range) combined with an inward block or whatever, immediately followed by some handwork etc....

This reminds me of an assembly we had when I was still in high school....from behind a curtain somebody started playing the drums, he was amazing. I had never heard anyone play like this guy. Then they dropped the curtain.........
He had no arms. Everyone's mouth just dropped. He was holding the drum sticks with his toes and playing a full set of drums better than anyone I ever heard anyone play with both arms.

This guy was used to not having arms, and he could do many daily tasks with just his feet (including picking his nose ;) )

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was in an Open Karate tournament a few years ago. Was fighting with a TKD guy, time was almost up I was 3 points to 1 and this guy was pissed cause he was behind. And I was relaxed and was enjoying the match. Anyways he threw an absolutely out of control roundhouse (I think he was trying to break my ribs LOL) so I blocked his kick with my lead leg, countered and scored once again. Now he was really pissed. After center judge calls time he threw his gear down and threw a regular temper tantrum (the guy was in his mid 30's also). I took 1st and he recieved 2nd. After everything was over I went downstairs to change, and here comes this guy limping pretty bad. I asked him how his leg was doing. He said 'well I was doing fine till I got to the stairs' He lifted his gi up and he had blood from his knee to his ankle. I kinda chuckled to myself, because I thought he kinda deserved it for acting like a baby.

Michael

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
Leg blocks, leg checks, and leg buckles are an important part of Kenpo and not a few other arts. Stop kicks are an excellent way to interrupt an opponent's attack, but timing is everything. Too early or too late and you'll get nailed. No big deal in the ring, but unacceptable on the street. Hapkido utilizes what is known as a "scoop" kick, using the inside arch of the foot to the shin/ankle area. Often used as a distraction, it's also an excellent stop kick at medium/close range.

Chiduce, please check your private messages. Thanks.

Respects to all,
Bill Parsons

T

tonbo

I have used leg blocks quite often, actually. Most of the time, I *mean* to when I use them, but occasionally, they are what you might literally call a "knee-jerk reaction".....

My experience has been that a well-timed leg block can really mess with your opponent's timing (and balance, as well!!). Not to mention that they are fun to use, since most people tend to watch the hands more than the feet.....and most of the "kickers" that I have come up against figure that their kick will be so devastating, they don't need to watch anything themselves....so a timely leg block followed by a groin kick can really be a wake-up call.....:eek:

Anyway, the block I have developed most over the years is the dreaded "face block", where I use my face to intercept my instructor's strike. It's coming along quite well, now. Never seems to faze him, though....he actually seems....well.....pleased...

Messes him up if I manage to actually "pull" my block and move my face......I think that pleases him more.....and challenges us both....

Peace--

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by FLY

Personally, I use my leg to block most kicks (when sparring). I raise my lead leg/knee and slightly drop my corresponding elbow to my knee. Since my leg is already up there, I will generally kick immediately after the block.
I also use the same type of block (it protects to groin ;) ) sometimes when I'm closing in (just out of punching range) combined with an inward block or whatever, immediately followed by some handwork etc....

This reminds me of an assembly we had when I was still in high school....from behind a curtain somebody started playing the drums, he was amazing. I had never heard anyone play like this guy. Then they dropped the curtain.........
He had no arms. Everyone's mouth just dropped. He was holding the drum sticks with his toes and playing a full set of drums better than anyone I ever heard anyone play with both arms.

This guy was used to not having arms, and he could do many daily tasks with just his feet (including picking his nose ;) )

this is almost identical to what I like to do in sparring. simply raise the lead leg, do a shin block on the incoming kick; but by preference I usually do a shin block on a round kick or front kick then go into a front/round combo or hook/round then follow with a ridge hand or back fist. but people do get quite perturbed with me when I shin block cause I'm almost immune to it anymore, but it always hurts them. myself and one other guy in my class have forced two people to purchase shin pads for sparring because of our shin blocks and the lack of feeling in them.

also notice that the technique used for shin blocking (bringing lead leg up at the knee and using the shin and bringing the corresponding elbow down to the knee) is pretty much identical to the way you execute a sideways slap fall.