Learning TKD and Hapkido concurrently...good idea?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First of all, I would like to say...Hello! I spent a good amount of time browsing the board while my account awaited activation and I have to say that I'm very impressed by the helpful nature and overall knowledge of most users here. I hope to contribute in the future, but for now I just have a rather broad question...

Would it be a good idea and/or productive to learn Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido concurrently?

I'm currently a yellow belt at a TKD (and only TKD) school that teaches WTF style. I love it and my only regret is not having started before I was 25 years old. I don't have much to compare my experience with, but so far I'm impressed with the instructors/masters and the discipline of the students...it's been a great experience in every aspect. Nevertheless, I recently heard about another nearby school that teaches TKD and Hapkido (also Kali/Eskrima...but stick fighting doesn't appeal much to me at this point) and I'm very tempted to switch so that I can cross train in both MA's.

My main reason for wanting to learn TKD and Hapkido is the fact that my TKD instruction thus far has focused almost exclusively on kicks. I have no problem with lots of kicking, but I can't help but feel that I could become a much more well-rounded and effective martial artist if I was able to practice Hapkido as well (e.g., being able to incorporate throws, upper body strikes, locks, etc.).

I'm mainly concerned with biting off more than I can chew. I don't want to be unnecessarily confused by learning both MA's (although TKD and Hapkido are taught at separate times...not literally simultaneously) at the same time and I don't want to diminish my ability to be effective at either.

What do you guys think? Should I stay put at the school that I'm already happy with or take a chance at broadening my horizons?
A lot of it depends on you and your circumstances.

For one, can you physically handle two full MA curriculums simultaneously? Usually, it is best to go to class at least four days a week in one art. Two arts with four classes per week means that, unless one of the dojangs is open on Sunday, you will have at least two days with double classes. Can you handle that?

For another, what kind of time do you have outside of professional and any family commitments? Each art can be a huge commitment in and of itself, and two together will be time consuming. Can you fit in class pretty much every day of the week and still meet your other commitments? If you do not have the time to devote to both the classes and to practice of the techniques, then regardless of anything else, it will not be productive.

Also, since you indicate that HKD woudl be at a different school, can you reasonably afford paying tuition at two schools?

Learning style is another factor. Not everyone can train in two arts with some common but differently executed techniques.

I train in both and teach one. I think that it can be done and can be done productively. But not everyone can do so or do so productively.

Usually, I feel that it is best to get a solid footing in one before taking on another. I had many years in taekwondo plus two years in a taekwondo class that had some hapkido derived SD techniques mixed in before I studied hapkido as a separate art. That was me. Some people can study two arts new to them at the same time and will thrive.

Welcome to MT!

Daniel

OP
T

Tyrant171

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their thoughtful responses!

Quick update...

I decided to reboot my martial arts journey and train in Hapkido exclusively. I've switched schools and am now training under Grandmaster Gedo Chang out of Naperville, IL. Love it so far!!

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed TKD, but the school wasn't exactly the best fit for me. Very family oriented (nothing wrong with that, but I was usually the oldest person there by at least a half decade) with a focus on WTF style competition and very little sparring, except for the "sparring clinic" held on saturdays at an extra cost. Also, the school schedule was very limited. With a long commute and sometimes long nights at work, I was only able to attend class 2 days a week, if that.

By contrast, with HKD, I've found Grandmaster Chang's teaching style to be very reality-based, with sparring almost every class but with no emphasis on points scoring. The sparring, compared with my old TKD school, is super intense, which I love. Also, the schedule is much more in sync with my schedule and I will be able to attend 3 times a week easily.

I was only a month into my yellow belt when I left TKD, but I've already found it difficult to change many of my habits. I've found that many of the techniques of TKD and HKD are similar yet slightly different, which makes it that much harder. I can only imagine trying to learn TKD and HKD, correctly, at the same time. With what little experience I have, I'm definitely inclined to agree with those who advocated learning only one martial art as a beginner. On the bright side, Grandmaster Chang is also a 5th Dan in TKD and said that he peppers in a fair deal of TKD techniques, so I don't have to leave it behind entirely.

My only about regret about leaving TKD for HKD is that this board is so lively and the HKD board is... well... not so much.

Thanks again, guys!

Latest Discussions