Last Poster #7

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
In coffee news, my daughter wrote a short report on “Near Infrared Spectroscopy as an Analytical Sensory Quality Control Method for Coffee”.

I guess the idea is that chemists are trying to use spectroscopy to identify the various characteristics of coffee. From reading through the studies, it looks like they are having some success reliably rating things like body, acidity, bitterness, and aroma. But that said, the coffee tasters are still needed to profile flavors and diagnose roasting characteristics and potential flaws.

I may be the only one, but I think it’s pretty cool.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would have loved to have met him. My friend and sometime writing partner, Sandy Gimpel, has told me about him. She's been a stuntwoman in Hollywood forever. Her first gig was being the stunt double for Billy Mummy in the original Lost In Space TV series. She's still working today, a million years later. Anytime they need an elderly woman to do something like walk across the street during a wild car chase they call Sandy. Sweet, happy woman. Tough as nails, even now.
Wow! Did she know Paul Gale or James Wing Woo? They both did stuntman work in Hollywood from 1960s to 1980s.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
I use up every inch of two monitors plus the open laptop, which I use as a third monitor. Sometimes, when I’m reviewing a lot of documents or memos, I’ll turn a monitor so that I can see an entire page on one screen.
I am guessing you have not done too much CAD work. Two 32" screens are the norm.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wow! Did she know Paul Gale or James Wing Woo? They both did stuntman work in Hollywood from 1960s to 1980s.
I think so, she pretty much knew everyone because she's been doing it so long. I'll ask her the next time we speak.
I recently asked her what was the most fun shoot she ever worked. She didn't hesitate, immediately said "The Rock." (Sean Connery/Nicholas Cage/Alcatraz film)

She said they shut down part of San Francisco for five days. (Looks like the same part of Frisco as Steve McQueen's Bullet was filmed on to me.) She said it was absolutely nuts. Blowing up trolly cars so they went fifteen feet in the air, smashing up dozens upon dozens of police cars and unsuspecting driver's cars. She said everyone working that day said it was the coolest shoot they had ever been on.

To me, the best part of it was - the scene had nothing to do with the plot of the film, it was just the director's (Michael Bay) idea to have a really cool car chase.

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Every. Single. Day.

Seriously, it's a feeling I grapple with constantly, I've never really known. For years and years I tried to force myself to know, high school certainly drilled it in that we had to know our career, had to know what we were going to do etc. It became such a pressure that I did things just because I felt I had to.

I finally just came to terms with that sense of unknown and uncertainty, and tried to trust a bit. The trajectory has really been interesting, and it's more like riding the wave of where life is taking me. Some people know, and that's great. But not everyone does, and I think that's something to cherish, as it leads one down a different type of path.

I've never been truly fulfilled with any job I've had, but I can see that they've all served a purpose.

Accumulating things and following the traditional way of life is not for everyone. Of course, some things are darn handy to have, and they come if you truly actually want them and apply yourself. But I'm finding I have to follow my own intuition and path in all this if there's to be any semblance of fulfillment.

Comparing myself with others destroyed me, and was (IS) something I had/have to work on. I had to let go of comparing, and rather looking at others as sources of inspiration rather than superior/inferior comparison.

Nothing to show for it you say.. to me, the fact that you're HERE, living, and being your authentic self shows everything. All the other "stuff".. to me doesn't even factor in, and doesn't compare to you just being here. Accumulating achievements is something I left a time ago, yet I found that they happened naturally as a result of just following what I value and love in life, rather than aiming to achieve.

I certainly haven't gotten it all sorted out. I think there are many who on the surface seem to but don't really. Then I don't really understand what it means to have it all "sorted out" or "something to show for it". I would absolutely inquire deeply into what you actually mean when you say that, find the root of it. Our mindset and frame of reference is powerful, any unexamined assumptions can really get us into quite a pickle, as we compare ourselves with everyone else based on some false notion of something we don't even really value!

All just my own ponderings, take or leave as you like haha :)
Thanks bro, what you said really helped me and encouraged me. Good to know I'm not alone and there is others like me out there. I spend my time on things that are important to me, like the arts, that's enough for me, it's the expectations of others that makes Me think the way I did in my original post. It's true I don't know where I'm going, but your post inspired me to want to enjoy the journey. Thanks for that my friend!

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
well, I'd live with my Mum in a heartbeat. And I am a wee bit older.
There is something really nice about living with family - if yu get along.
The Job (excuse me, career) is a means to an end. It is ok to just make a living. from it.
32?
Whippersnapper.
A person can be complete without a spouse (or partner or what have you). Besides, who knows.
'other than the arts'
well, that is a pretty big thing,
it gives you joy, fulfillment...
It is enough.
Thanks what you wrote made me see it in a different way. Thank you.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
In coffee news, my daughter wrote a short report on “Near Infrared Spectroscopy as an Analytical Sensory Quality Control Method for Coffee”.

I guess the idea is that chemists are trying to use spectroscopy to identify the various characteristics of coffee. From reading through the studies, it looks like they are having some success reliably rating things like body, acidity, bitterness, and aroma. But that said, the coffee tasters are still needed to profile flavors and diagnose roasting characteristics and potential flaws.

I may be the only one, but I think it’s pretty cool.
Oh cool as, did not know your daughter was also into coffee!!!

Yeah there's fascinating research going on... and for sure Q-grade cuppers should absolutely be a part of the whole process. Good stuff, such a full-bodied topic.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever not know where you're going in life? I'm not depressed or anything, but I suddenly realized I'm turning 32 next month and I honestly have nothing to show for it. I don't have my own place still live with a parent for various reasons, don't have a car or license, no significant other, and my career seems to be going nowhere. None of this depresses me but I do think about it from time to time and tell myself I need to get my stuff together. Other than the arts I don't have much to show.
So... what are you waiting for? In 3 years, you can run for President of the United States.

You can wait for "something to happen" or move out "when things change." Or, you can decide what you want to do, and set yourself a course to achieve that goal. Don't like your job? Figure out what you need to get the job you want. Want a place of your own? What'll it take to make rent? Maybe you rent a room rather than an apartment, or rent rather than buy... but you can control when that happens. Want to hike the Appalachian Trail or the Pacific Coast Trail... or walk from the tippy top of North America all the way to the bottom of South America? Set the goal, figure the steps to take, and get started.

No driver's license? That's easy... go to DMV. That might be a good starting point... it's fairly easy, and can open doors for you to do other things.

Here's the simple truth: YOU can't control everything, but you can make plans, adapt to changes, and choose how you respond to things.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Oh cool as, did not know your daughter was also into coffee!!!

Yeah there's fascinating research going on... and for sure Q-grade cuppers should absolutely be a part of the whole process. Good stuff, such a full-bodied topic.
It is indeed a full-bodied topic. Sadly, this isn't something she's really going to dig into longterm. She's more focused on medical bioengineering. I think this was a fun side project she chose because she's familiar with the general topic of specialty coffee and need to do a report to finish up some coursework.

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It is indeed a full-bodied topic. Sadly, this isn't something she's really going to dig into longterm. She's more focused on medical bioengineering. I think this was a fun side project she chose because she's familiar with the general topic of specialty coffee and need to do a report to finish up some coursework.
Steve there's something going on with my dad's coffee and I wanted to ask you. He's been drinking maxwell house master blend and house blend then Colombian, I know your coffee is more higher quality, but my Dad has been drinking those 3 for a long time. He bought a can 2 weeks ago and said it tasted weak and not how it usually taste, so he went to a different store and bought a new one... same problem. He thinks a. That either they have changed the product or b. It's his coffee maker. He uses a Mr coffee maker. But yeah what do you think.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think so, she pretty much knew everyone because she's been doing it so long. I'll ask her the next time we speak.
I recently asked her what was the most fun shoot she ever worked. She didn't hesitate, immediately said "The Rock." (Sean Connery/Nicholas Cage/Alcatraz film)

She said they shut down part of San Francisco for five days. (Looks like the same part of Frisco as Steve McQueen's Bullet was filmed on to me.) She said it was absolutely nuts. Blowing up trolly cars so they went fifteen feet in the air, smashing up dozens upon dozens of police cars and unsuspecting driver's cars. She said everyone working that day said it was the coolest shoot they had ever been on.

To me, the best part of it was - the scene had nothing to do with the plot of the film, it was just the director's (Michael Bay) idea to have a really cool car chase.
Wow, what an awesome story! Thanks for sharing that.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Life in the tropics is at times difficult. What a spring it's been so far. First we had an invasion of ants, when they were defeated we were inundated with fruit flies, about a bajillion of them. Now it's mud wasps making nests all over the outside of the house and rats in the rock wall around the property. We'll get rid of all of them. Hopefully we'll have some time off from such critter invasions for a while.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The only reasonable response to such a critter invasion is....

dcccc1599e477dc4b33bdd890295a0eb.gif

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The only reasonable response to such a critter invasion is....

dcccc1599e477dc4b33bdd890295a0eb.gif
It's tempting, that's for sure.
My landlord (great guy), who lives beside me, will take care of the rats. But he told me a story that gave me the willies. He said that forty years ago there was a rat infestation upcountry where we are. He told me that one time, when there was a combined effort to get rid of them (the State, County, and the residents) - the rats ran downhill, through his yard and my yard in a panic to escape. He said there was a river of squealing rats, hundreds and hundreds of them, charging downhill. He's an older Japanese farmer who was born here and nothing bothers him. He said it was the oddest thing he's ever seen. Took about ten minutes for all of them to run by.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It's tempting, that's for sure.
My landlord (great guy), who lives beside me, will take care of the rats. But he told me a story that gave me the willies. He said that forty years ago there was a rat infestation upcountry where we are. He told me that one time, when there was a combined effort to get rid of them (the State, County, and the residents) - the rats ran downhill, through his yard and my yard in a panic to escape. He said there was a river of squealing rats, hundreds and hundreds of them, charging downhill. He's an older Japanese farmer who was born here and nothing bothers him. He said it was the oddest thing he's ever seen. Took about ten minutes for all of them to run by.

Which is why I would need one of these if I lived there

giphy.gif

By the way the Vietnamese centipedes are enough to keep me from living in Hawaii....a plethora of stampeding rats just gives me another reason to not live there

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Steve there's something going on with my dad's coffee and I wanted to ask you. He's been drinking maxwell house master blend and house blend then Colombian, I know your coffee is more higher quality, but my Dad has been drinking those 3 for a long time. He bought a can 2 weeks ago and said it tasted weak and not how it usually taste, so he went to a different store and bought a new one... same problem. He thinks a. That either they have changed the product or b. It's his coffee maker. He uses a Mr coffee maker. But yeah what do you think.
Hey. I’m not sure what would help. Generally if the coffee is to weak and it’s out of a can, you could add a little more. If he’s never cleaned the coffee pot, that might be worth a shot, too. Run some vinegar through the pot or buy some descaler.

That said, may man, you can do better than coffee out of a can. :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Which is why I would need one of these if I lived there

giphy.gif

By the way the Vietnamese centipedes are enough to keep me from living in Hawaii....a plethora of stampeding rats just gives me another reason to not live there
Amongst all the critters, it's cane spiders that freak me out the most. They're not dangerous, and they look like baby Teddy Bears compared to pictures of Australian spiders that I've seen, but they creep me out none the less.

That flame thrower is a good idea.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Latest Discussions