Last Poster #7

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last night I got bored, so I made dark chocolate and macadamia nut cookies. Why not white chocolate? Diversity matters.

Tonight it's a massive flank steak I've been marinating for a day in a Dr. Pepper Cream Soda mix.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Air temperature when I got up this morning......-2F.... but it is warming up..... it is now 0......supposed to get all the way up to a balmy 12F today..... briefly...... before the temps plummet back to single digits... but it could be worse..... just about 20 minutes north of me it is -10 at the moment......yup....its winter in the Adirondacks......

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Air temperature when I got up this morning......-2F.... but it is warming up..... it is now 0......supposed to get all the way up to a balmy 12F today..... briefly...... before the temps plummet back to single digits... but it could be worse..... just about 20 minutes north of me it is -10 at the moment......yup....its winter in the Adirondacks......
One thing I don't miss.........all the above.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We are expected to get into single digit lows in a few days here in middle TN. I can do without that.
My wife and I moved to TX from NYS to be with son and family. One year later son and family were transferred, job related, to TN. After three years in TX we are thinking about TN also.....Nothing here in TX for us, not going back to NYS. Decisions..........Decisions.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My wife and I moved to TX from NYS to be with son and family. One year later son and family were transferred, job related, to TN. After three years in TX we are thinking about TN also.....Nothing here in TX for us, not going back to NYS. Decisions..........Decisions.
What part of the state would you be looking at? Middle TN is rapidly changing, for the worse. Way too many people moving in changing the country/rural nature of the state. East & west TN are still fairly rural. A 70 or so mile circumference from Nashville is getting completely congested. Traffic truly sucks; last time I checked, Nashville ranked #2 for worst traffic.
No state tax (yet) but the tax structure is FUBAR. Road system has been getting worse and worse since Gov. Ned Ray McWherter left office (87-95). Things are kind of a mess and downright dangerous. Crime, especially violent crime is far worse than it has ever been. Davidson County has put some steep building restrictions in place (35k impact fee, etc...) in an effort to slow down building developments.
We have a good amount of farmland at three different locations and are very invested in the lifestyle (4th generation cattlemen). If it was not for that, Texas is where I would be moving now that we are empty nesters. We have had incredible offers for our farm south of Dickson, but I am not willing to sale knowing what would come of the land. I have lost most of my leased farmland because people are selling out while prices are high. People just do not seem to get the inflation this is causing across the board.

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

NOT GOING BACK TO NY!!!!!!!

Actually can't blame you at all....but it is not about the weather in my case...it is about everything else though...I rather like the weather, but then I have been called crazy many times before.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My wife and I are heading off to New Orleans tomorrow. We were going to be heading to Italy for 2 weeks but with the news, she didn't want to spend that long away from the kids while she's still feeling okay. So we are going to spend 5 nights in the Big Easy. One of her dreams we never got to was a gondola ride in Venice. Well, I found a guy in N.O. that has an authentic gondola built in Venice and does rides. So while it won't be Venice at least she can get in the gondola. We are looking forward to the food.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My wife and I are heading off to New Orleans tomorrow. We were going to be heading to Italy for 2 weeks but with the news, she didn't want to spend that long away from the kids while she's still feeling okay. So we are going to spend 5 nights in the Big Easy. One of her dreams we never got to was a gondola ride in Venice. Well, I found a guy in N.O. that has an authentic gondola built in Venice and does rides. So while it won't be Venice at least she can get in the gondola. We are looking forward to the food.
man, I understand, but I was rooting for you there. Italy is awesome.
Enjoy the Big Easy!

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
man, I understand, but I was rooting for you there. Italy is awesome.
Enjoy the Big Easy!
She was afraid we would get stuck there if Omicron gets worse and she said she would rather do a shorter trip together and then take some trips with all the kids while she's still strong enough so we are planning a few family getaways in the next few weeks.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What part of the state would you be looking at? Middle TN is rapidly changing, for the worse. Way too many people moving in changing the country/rural nature of the state. East & west TN are still fairly rural. A 70 or so mile circumference from Nashville is getting completely congested. Traffic truly sucks; last time I checked, Nashville ranked #2 for worst traffic.
No state tax (yet) but the tax structure is FUBAR. Road system has been getting worse and worse since Gov. Ned Ray McWherter left office (87-95). Things are kind of a mess and downright dangerous. Crime, especially violent crime is far worse than it has ever been. Davidson County has put some steep building restrictions in place (35k impact fee, etc...) in an effort to slow down building developments.
We have a good amount of farmland at three different locations and are very invested in the lifestyle (4th generation cattlemen). If it was not for that, Texas is where I would be moving now that we are empty nesters. We have had incredible offers for our farm south of Dickson, but I am not willing to sale knowing what would come of the land. I have lost most of my leased farmland because people are selling out while prices are high. People just do not seem to get the inflation this is causing across the board.
My son and his family live just out side of Dickson east a few miles. We looked at Dickson because it was close to family but decided we would fare better in Mount Juliet, it seemed a safer place in an over 55 community. Because of a sellers market the price wars are totally out of hand and houses aren't on the market very long. I thought the move to Texas would be our last and we like it here very much but without family what's the point...

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My son and his family live just out side of Dickson east a few miles. We looked at Dickson because it was close to family but decided we would fare better in Mount Juliet, it seemed a safer place in an over 55 community. Because of a sellers market the price wars are totally out of hand and houses aren't on the market very long. I thought the move to Texas would be our last and we like it here very much but without family what's the point...
We live in Dickson. Our farms on the north side of the county and just south of the county in Bon Aqua.
You say east; White Blugg, Pegram or Kingston Springs? I agree that the market is stronger here but the crime rate in Mt. Juliet and Ashland City is horrendous. I honestly don't know what to tell you. If you do not mind being a little farther father from Nashville, you may want to look at Humphrey and Houston County. Humphreys would be closer to Dickson and Houston would be about the same distance as Mt. Juliet, although there is no super straight drive. For a larger town Clarksville would be closer and may even be closer for Mt. Juliet depending on where you are.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We live in Dickson. Our farms on the north side of the county and just south of the county in Bon Aqua.
You say east; White Blugg, Pegram or Kingston Springs? I agree that the market is stronger here but the crime rate in Mt. Juliet and Ashland City is horrendous. I honestly don't know what to tell you. If you do not mind being a little farther father from Nashville, you may want to look at Humphrey and Houston County. Humphreys would be closer to Dickson and Houston would be about the same distance as Mt. Juliet, although there is no super straight drive. For a larger town Clarksville would be closer and may even be closer for Mt. Juliet depending on where you are.
I'll private message you tomorrow to take the conversation off this thread if it's ok with you?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well we got more on the way... Boston is at 18 right now..... but divide that by 3 and that is where we are right now..... but tomorrow morning, it is supposed to be -2 again...... I know you're jealous :D
We got down to 13° at 4:00 this morning. Then we will swing up to 36° by 3:00pm.

Latest Discussions