Last Poster #7

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We are the 70% or so of the country who are vaccinated. "you guys" are the victims of a pretty intense misinformation campaign that has politicized something that should be apolitical.

Is that what you're talking about?

Yeah, you did, but not in the way you think. You're all mixed up. You start by talking about antibiotics, then mush that up with vaccines, which leads you to some just incorrect conclusions. Then you start leaning on your experience with cattle, and then come back to realizing that they're apples and oranges. Which... you said someone else was doing.

You're all over the place here. And that's to be expected, because this misinformation just doesn't hold up to even the most casual scrutiny.
I have never heard of Elanco but it looks to be a similar product.

I did not start the line of diatribe with all the shady inferences about the vaccination, I believe that was you. You seem to enjoy feeling like you have baited people, which is just sad.

I did not start the conversation about antibiotics, just added my direct, personal experience which you seem to have none of. This is the line of reasoning which is not apples to apples. I simply provided reasons why. If it is too hard for you to follow the logic of the conversation I suggest you do not respond, especially when you clearly have no idea what you are even talking about.

Clearly you have no idea what I mean by answering my own question.

While is am (1/2) vaccinated I will never include myself in the 'we' group. I will

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've never heard the term "virus shield" before. Is that a real thing, @Dirty Dog ?

Regarding the vaccine, we new at the outset that they were about 95% effective against the alpha strain. Even against the delta variant, we can see clearly that the vaccine is doing a great job of managing symptoms and minimizing the severity of the vaccine in those who have breakthrough infections. The ICUs are full again, and it's almost entirely people who are not vaccinated.

The tragic thing here is that some folks are looking desperately for a miracle cure, and are willing to inject de-worming medicine, or the latest is gargling iodine and betadine. But the vaccine does work. It functions as designed, and if people would just get vaccinated, it would literally create the herd immunity we need. It doesn't have to fix everything. It just needs to limit the number of severe cases to a manageable level, and stop or slow transmission to help avoid future mutant strains/

Some day, we should talk about how you guys have screwed up antibiotics, but that's a completely different conversation that has nothing to do with vaccines or viruses.
Ivermectin fights a strain of Covid in bovine livestock. I have no idea if it works on humans or is even offered as such. I do know it has a very broad range of benefits.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had a heck of a scare with my puppy yesterday. I attached her leash wrong and she bolted out of it into the street. It's a fairly busy street on a steep hill.

With this new found freedom she wanted to play keep away from dad. And she's very fast. I had one shot at a flying tackle and took it. Coming down on top of her I was afraid of breaking her legs so I scooped her in a death grip and rolled.

Got her. But this morning I look like an infomercial for bandaids and Neosporin. Cracked my elbow so hard on the pavement I initially though I broke something. I have good breakfall, but not without at least one of my arms.

Damn, I'm sore. But I tell you one thing, if it wasn't for training in Martial Arts I never would have been able to do that. It teaches you to think while on the move under stress.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Ivermectin fights a strain of Covid in bovine livestock. I have no idea if it works on humans or is even offered as such. I do know it has a very broad range of benefits.
I’m interested in hearing more about ivermectin and COVID in cows. I believe you give your cows ivermectin, but that doesn't mean it works for covid. When we adopted one of our dogs, he had heartworms, and we used ivermectin, among other things, to treat them. But that's a parasite and not a virus.

I had a heck of a scare with my puppy yesterday. I attached her leash wrong and she bolted out of it into the street. It's a fairly busy street on a steep hill.

With this new found freedom she wanted to play keep away from dad. And she's very fast. I had one shot at a flying tackle and took it. Coming down on top of her I was afraid of breaking her legs so I scooped her in a death grip and rolled.

Got her. But this morning I look like an infomercial for bandaids and Neosporin. Cracked my elbow so hard on the pavement I initially though I broke something. I have good breakfall, but not without at least one of my arms.

Damn, I'm sore. But I tell you one thing, if it wasn't for training in Martial Arts I never would have been able to do that. It teaches you to think while on the move under stress.
Glad your puppy is okay.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yeah, not all that surprising. Couple of notes. If you get it, and presuming you survive without long term ill effects, they still recommend the vaccine. That's mentioned in the article. Also, from the article

This is kind of like polio. Reinfection of polio was very rare, and most kids who survived it were immune for the rest of their lives. They were also dealing with significant physical issues for the rest of their lives like paralysis. I see this as kind of like that. :)

I know it still recommends the vaccine. I had the vaccine, I still got Covid. But I believe I had a much easier time of it because of the vaccine

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Semi related, not so fun fact. COVID is the leading cause of line of duty deaths for police, by a lot.

167 out of 280 so far this year and it’s speeding up. The number on June 30 was less in the 70s.

243 out of 372 last year

Each are more than the total number of line of duty deaths in 2019, which was 151.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’m interested in hearing more about ivermectin and COVID in cows. I believe you give your cows ivermectin, but that doesn't mean it works for covid. When we adopted one of our dogs, he had heartworms, and we used ivermectin, among other things, to treat them. But that's a parasite and not a virus.

Glad your puppy is okay.
Just google covid and ivermectin.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Semi related, not so fun fact. COVID is the leading cause of line of duty deaths for police, by a lot.

167 out of 280 so far this year and it’s speeding up. The number on June 30 was less in the 70s.

243 out of 372 last year

Each are more than the total number of line of duty deaths in 2019, which was 151.
then again, in certain jurisdictions, there was a tendency to not jump on the scientifically proven common sense bandwagon in terms of mitigating measures.
(In short, too many cops neglected to wear masks, or get vaccinated.)

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Ah geez man, sorry to hear, so glad you managed to grab her, always really scary when that happens :s, recover well

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Understanding that helps you understand why antibiotics are irrelevant, and why it's so important to control transmission. Every transmission from one sick person to another is a chance for a mutation. We can reach herd immunity in a few different ways. The best way is for everyone to get vaccinated and control the spread of the disease. If everyone would get vaccinated, I bet we'd see virtually zero transmission within 2 months.

Other ideas... we could let thousands of more people die and hope that their unnecessary sacrifice combined with the people who are vaccinated leads us to eventual herd immunity before the virus mutates into a strain that is virulent and resistant to the vaccine.

Or, maybe we could establish a quarantine island, like a leper colony, and just put all the anti-vaxxers in there. That's not a very good idea. I
Yeah definitely.

Although most of what I've read seems to say the vaccine may lower transmission a bit, but doesn't prevent it, is that what you mean in reference to seeing virtually zero transmissions?

I need to research more haha, always thought the vaccine didn't prevent transmission entirely.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yeah definitely.

Although most of what I've read seems to say the vaccine may lower transmission a bit, but doesn't prevent it, is that what you mean in reference to seeing virtually zero transmissions?

I need to research more haha, always thought the vaccine didn't prevent transmission entirely.
With delta, I think you can still give it to others. But your chances of getting the virus are much lower and if you get it your symptoms are likely to be much more mild.

the goal remains herd immunity.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

243 out of 372 last year

Which is why I ain't going back to work until this thing is over. And I've had both shots, the booster shot and a flu shot. Next week I'm going to get vaccinated for shingles and pneumonia.

Maybe I'll never go back to work. The pup tells me I shouldn't. Maybe she knows something, she's always been straight with me.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah. I did and I saw nothing about COVID. It’s a deworming, anti parasitic medicine. Maybe you can post a link?
Yes, that is it primary and original use but it is on the very long list off label used medicines.

To be clear, I am not advocating one way or the other. But there is about as much information on the web for using it as there is against using Ivermectin. It is out there, just look for it.
Here is a random one I grabbed.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yes, that is it primary and original use but it is on the very long list off label used medicines.

To be clear, I am not advocating one way or the other. But there is about as much information on the web for using it as there is against using Ivermectin. It is out there, just look for it.
Here is a random one I grabbed.
Is that for cows? You said you use it for cows to treat COVID-19.

Latest Discussions