Last Poster #7

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I would not like it with despair.
I would not like it anywhere.
I do not like over salted thin sliced ham.
I do not like it, sam-i-am……er a I mean steve :D
In related news, Better Off Ted holds up well and was (is) really funny.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chinese martial arts forms... Where are your openings at?!?! When I do my Goju Ryu forms, I know I'm ready cause I did my little opening... I don't have that mental preparation for some of these chinese forms. I just st-start the form, right now? Like riiiight now right now? Oooh... Here goes nothing. *deep breath first*

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chinese martial arts forms... Where are your openings at?!?! When I do my Goju Ryu forms, I know I'm ready cause I did my little opening... I don't have that mental preparation for some of these chinese forms. I just st-start the form, right now? Like riiiight now right now? Oooh... Here goes nothing. *deep breath first*
Haha, yes I love the opening bow etc for that little mental preparation too.

Ah @donald1 I didn't know you were a Goju guy! Am very much interested in Goju ryu, and out of all the clubs I've tried it peaks my interest the most, so am definitely searching them all out

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Haha, yes I love the opening bow etc for that little mental preparation too.

Ah @donald1 I didn't know you were a Goju guy! Am very much interested in Goju ryu, and out of all the clubs I've tried it peaks my interest the most, so am definitely searching them all out
I've always enjoyed doing it. I'm working on a new bo form, shushi no dai(I think that's the correct spelling). I helped some students with kumite. Overall fun class today.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

You start from the beginning

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You start from the beginning
Been a while since I done a Kung-Fu form but I remember there being an opening or beginning movement.

Along the same vein of question, when I competed in forms I definitely got myself 'ready' before going into ready position. Does that make sense?
Some folks ready position is just over the top for me. Purely for show it seems.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Been a while since I done a Kung-Fu form but I remember there being an opening or beginning movement.

Along the same vein of question, when I competed in forms I definitely got myself 'ready' before going into ready position. Does that make sense?
Some folks ready position is just over the top for me. Purely for show it seems.

Beginning in many CMA styles, is wuji.

wuji01.jpg

others are

jet-li-salute.png

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The two styles that I've (briefly) done..in fu jow pai, each form had it's own 'start'. So while there wasn't any specific "each time you bow go into a horse stance and kiai", there was clearly a start to prepare for each form. In taichi, if you do the form directly there was no start. But before each form (and actually in between each drill/activity with my instructor), you did this thing where you just stood straight and tried to relax as much of your body as you could for about 10 seconds, as kind of a reset/fresh starting plate for the new activity. With that there's not really a need for a separate'start'.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The two styles that I've (briefly) done..in fu jow pai, each form had it's own 'start'. So while there wasn't any specific "each time you bow go into a horse stance and kiai", there was clearly a start to prepare for each form.

Chinese martial arts is not Japanese or Korean martial arts. All Chinese styles simply start at the beginning. Whatever the first posture of the form you are doing is, that is the beginning. Cana be different in Competition based CMA, that generally begins with a Chinese martial arts salute.

From my POV and years in TCMA, this search for a "start" is over complicating things. Simply begin.

In taichi, if you do the form directly there was no start. But before each form (and actually in between each drill/activity with my instructor), you did this thing where you just stood straight and tried to relax as much of your body as you could for about 10 seconds, as kind of a reset/fresh starting plate for the new activity. With that there's not really a need for a separate'start'.

All Taiji should start with that standing you are talking about, that is the "Start" it is Wuji standing, think of it as a meditation.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Chinese martial arts is not Japanese or Korean martial arts. All Chinese styles simply start at the beginning. Whatever the first posture of the form you are doing is, that is the beginning. Cana be different in Competition based CMA, that generally begins with a Chinese martial arts salute.

From my POV and years in TCMA, this search for a "start" is over complicating things. Simply begin.
This might just be a result of my experiences beforehand. The beginning of the forms were slow, so I just unconsciously consider them a start.

All Taiji should start with that standing you are talking about, that is the "Start" it is Wuji standing, think of it as a meditation.
I thought so, but could only speak for the one place I tried. Didn't want to generalize it. And yeah meditation is a good word for it.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Latest Discussions