Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
And you’re entitled to it. I get it. But I encourage you to enjoy the spirited discussion. I miss some folks, too. Some of the folks I miss left because of some of the folks you miss (I hope that makes sense).

And also it’s a little humorous to me that guys who have been here for just a few years are acting like they know what things were like “in the good old days.”

Edit. I don’t mean you. :)

Steve lets leave it at, what you are calling spirited I am calling arguing for the sake of arguing and frankly I no longer have time to feed into it. But I am happy you are enjoying MT.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Me and my best friend used to sit around talking about the "Good old days" ,,,,flirting with girls, just hanging out.... we were 12 at the time of these ..reminiscences.o_O

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Steve lets leave it at, what you are calling spirited I am calling arguing for the sake of arguing and frankly I no longer have time to feed into it. But I am happy you are enjoying MT.
Thanks. I prefer to enjoy things for what they actually are, and remember things for what they actually were. Rose colored glasses are bad juju and lead to unhappiness and frustration. I try to be neither naive nor jaded, aiming for somwhere in the middle. Realistic but not pessimistic. It works for me. Your mileage may vary.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Got a note on ancestry from a 2nd cousin (my grandmother’s identical twin sister’s son). Never met the guy. He’s 89 and looking for information on his mom. Pretty neat.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thanks. I prefer to enjoy things for what they actually are, and remember things for what they actually were. Rose colored glasses are bad juju and lead to unhappiness and frustration. I try to be neither naive nor jaded, aiming for somwhere in the middle. Realistic but not pessimistic. It works for me. Your mileage may vary.

No rose colored glasses here

a symbol to live by

latest

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Got a note on ancestry from a 2nd cousin (my grandmother’s identical twin sister’s son). Never met the guy. He’s 89 and looking for information on his mom. Pretty neat.
I wish my heritage went back further here in the States. Ancestry. Com only can go back to my great grand fathers. One coming from Poland and the other from Canada. I pretty much know the history, my grandparents only passed a few years ago. But my mom's grandfather who came from Canada has Abanaqui Indian background and I wish I knew more about that.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I wish my heritage went back further here in the States. Ancestry. Com only can go back to my great grand fathers. One coming from Poland and the other from Canada. I pretty much know the history, my grandparents only passed a few years ago. But my mom's grandfather who came from Canada has Abanaqui Indian background and I wish I knew more about that.
I have some newbies, from Scandinavia, but a lot of direct ancestors who have been in America since before the revolution. My mom has done a lot of research on my side. I’ve been working on my wife’s family.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have some newbies, from Scandinavia, but a lot of direct ancestors who have been in America since before the revolution. My mom has done a lot of research on my side. I’ve been working on my wife’s family.

My mom has worked for 50 years on our family genealogy and supposedly we can be traced back to Queen Boudica but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

I'm thinking about ordering some 23 and me kits for Christmas this year. I think she would get a kick out of testing the family.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Cherokee and Navajo ancestors on my mom’s side. I know 3 generations on the maternal chain, but nothing on her father’s side. My dad’s dad’s dad came from Germany as an orphan as a baby, so we lose that chain there. My dad’s mom’s family is the only part I could maybe trace further on Ancestry.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Mostly German Heritage, with Irish, Scottish, English and a dash of Norwegian, but some of that German is actually Prussian. Father side goes back much further in the US than my mother's. Mother's side I am 3 generation. Father side, much further, not exactly sure at the moment,I would need to pull out the family tree. But I do know I had 2 uncles in the Civil war. Now my wife's family...likely goes back a good 6000 years in one country...but that country is China..... most definitely as far back as Han dynasty.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If your German ancestors came through Hamburg, the trail would stop their, as in WWII the archives burned up.
Bremen was spared.

My grandmother did some research, I think my Uncle his those charts.
Back in the days it involved a lot of leg work, dropping in at local offices to look at birth certificates and the likes.
And of course, the language barrier some times, expecting a well educated newspaper guy, realizing he was a day laborer....oh well....
My mother in law traced some ;lines back to the civil war...Private X showing up at the field hospital 'without horse'.
I guess it beats 'without shoes'
or worse.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If your German ancestors came through Hamburg, the trail would stop their, as in WWII the archives burned up.
Bremen was spared.

My grandmother did some research, I think my Uncle his those charts.
Back in the days it involved a lot of leg work, dropping in at local offices to look at birth certificates and the likes.
And of course, the language barrier some times, expecting a well educated newspaper guy, realizing he was a day laborer....oh well....
My mother in law traced some ;lines back to the civil war...Private X showing up at the field hospital 'without horse'.
I guess it beats 'without shoes'
or worse.

They are all pre WW II

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They are all pre WW II
well, yeah, but the archives got burned down in WWII in Hamburg.
So all records as to where folks were from are gone.
Unless you have entries in family bibles, and actual documents with towns on them....

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
We are very fortunate. I have literally thousands of pictures of my family back a very long way. My wife’s grandmother was also adopted, so while we have a lot of pictures of her from when she was young, it’s very hard to find out who her people were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions