Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
No whining...just protecting the dishes.... I don't want to go buy more at the moment :D

Consider yourself lucky. For my entire life, I have always been overly sensitive to sounds. Whining is one that immediately causes a full-blown headache.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Consider yourself lucky. For my entire life, I have always been overly sensitive to sounds. Whining is one that immediately causes a full-blown headache.

About 5 years ago I was told by an MD, after an injury to my ear that caused a ringing that did not want to go away, and after much testing to see if my hearing would be ok, followed by his amazement that the ringing actually went away, that one ear hears incredibly well for a person my age and the other hears incredibly well for a human..... but I have learned to tune a lot of things out over the years :)

However the whispered conversation (that I can hear very clearly) in cubical land in my office drive me insane

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
About 5 years ago I was told by an MD, after an injury to my ear that caused a ringing that did not want to go away, and after much testing to see if my hearing would be ok, followed by his amazement that the ringing actually went away, that one ear hears incredibly well for a person my age and the other hears incredibly well for a human..... but I have learned to tune a lot of things out over the years :)

However the whispered conversation (that I can hear very clearly) in cubical land in my office drive me insane
Do you have to be responsive to phones and such? If not, noise cancelling headphones (even without music playing) really help. It's amazing.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My main chore around the house as a kid (besides cutting grass and shoveling snow) was washing all the dishes.
When I met my wife we had an agreement - whoever cooks, the other does the dishes. So, when she cooks I do the dishes....and when I cook....I do the dishes. Still can't figure out how that happened.
Parents should have been named me Maytag or something.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you have to be responsive to phones and such? If not, noise cancelling headphones (even without music playing) really help. It's amazing.

See...I have to answer phones, so I can't do that. I think that is the only thing I miss about my last job.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My main chore around the house as a kid (besides cutting grass and shoveling snow) was washing all the dishes.
When I met my wife we had an agreement - whoever cooks, the other does the dishes. So, when she cooks I do the dishes....and when I cook....I do the dishes. Still can't figure out how that happened.

Had 2 wives (not at the same time)....it always seems to work out that way :D

Last edited:

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score

I had a poor buddy who went through something similar, albeit (in my opinion) much worse.

He had been married for a couple years, and he had a daughter (about 2 years old at the time). At his job, they had mandated 20 hours per week of overtime because they were migrating from one database system to another. He split it up across the 5 day work week, so he was doing 4 hours of overtime per day. That's FIVE 12-hour shifts.

Then he had to come home and (1) make dinner, (2) do the dishes, (3) bathe their daughter, and (4) get her to bed.

I am all for equality of the sexes. I don't think a woman's place is in the kitchen or doing all the child rearing...but damn! If you are sitting home on you a$$ all day watching Judge Judy all day while your husband is working a 12-hour shift, would it be THAT much to ask to at least cook dinner?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
When I try to cook, I tend to be pretty good about cleaning as I go. My wife... not so much. But typically, if it's us, we team up and get it done pretty fast. It's not that big of a chore any more unless I'm making something fried (which I don't do often, but I do like a traditional, chicken fried steak from time to time).

When I was a kid, my brother and I had to do the dishes every night, and we didn't own a dishwasher, so it was all wash and dry by hand. That was a pain in the butt.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I had a poor buddy who went through something similar, albeit (in my opinion) much worse.

He had been married for a couple years, and he had a daughter (about 2 years old at the time). At his job, they had mandated 20 hours per week of overtime because they were migrating from one database system to another. He split it up across the 5 day work week, so he was doing 4 hours of overtime per day. That's FIVE 12-hour shifts.

Then he had to come home and (1) make dinner, (2) do the dishes, (3) bathe their daughter, and (4) get her to bed.

I am all for equality of the sexes. I don't think a woman's place is in the kitchen or doing all the child rearing...but damn! If you are sitting home on you a$$ all day watching Judge Judy all day while your husband is working a 12-hour shift, would it be THAT much to ask to at least cook dinner?
That's as much his fault as hers, IMO. In a relationship, tacit agreement is functionally the same as overt agreement. In other words, if your buddy decided to put up with something, that's on him as much as it's on her.

I'd be careful, though, of presuming she did nothing. It may be true, but you never know all of what happens behind closed doors.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's as much his fault as hers, IMO. In a relationship, tacit agreement is functionally the same as overt agreement. In other words, if your buddy decided to put up with something, that's on him as much as it's on her.

I'd be careful, though, of presuming she did nothing. It may be true, but you never know all of what happens behind closed doors.

True. But in all fairness, there were other things I did in fact witness in their relationship (too much to go into here) that lead me to believe it was true as I said it above.

And you are right. He should have set his foot down, or bailed.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A dishwasher? I be the dishwasher, bro.

And the worst part is the pans. My wife is particular about her pans. She has these stainless steel pans with copper bands. So - first have to wash them, then clean them with stainless steel cleaner, then copper cleaner, THEN wash them again to make sure all that cleaner is off there. Such is my lot in life.

Me? I use cast iron pans mostly. Easy, peasy, Japanesey.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
I do pretty much all the cooking and clean up and I am the one particular about kitchen utensils and their treatment. Took many times of explaining to my wife that kitchen knives do not go into the dishwasher and that there are settings on the stove in between 0 and 10....that last one hasn't fully sunken in yet but we've only been married for 17 years, so there's time :p

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
A dishwasher? I be the dishwasher, bro.

And the worst part is the pans. My wife is particular about her pans. She has these stainless steel pans with copper bands. So - first have to wash them, then clean them with stainless steel cleaner, then copper cleaner, THEN wash them again to make sure all that cleaner is off there. Such is my lot in life.

Me? I use cast iron pans mostly. Easy, peasy, Japanesey.
Me too. Cast iron or enamel.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I try to cook, I tend to be pretty good about cleaning as I go. My wife... not so much. But typically, if it's us, we team up and get it done pretty fast. It's not that big of a chore any more unless I'm making something fried (which I don't do often, but I do like a traditional, chicken fried steak from time to time).

When I was a kid, my brother and I had to do the dishes every night, and we didn't own a dishwasher, so it was all wash and dry by hand. That was a pain in the butt.
You are like my wife. My wife is like you. When she cooks, the kitchen is mostly clean by the time she's done. When I cook, she walks in after dinner and asks, "What the hell were you doing in here?"

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me too. Cast iron or enamel.
Agreed. We have some stainless ones, too. Those get no special care. Scrub 'em and put 'em away. The cast iron gets the usual cast iron care. We picked up some antique enameled ones (le Creuset before it was le Creuset), and those get a soft cleanser if they need it.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My wife will clean the pots and pans she uses after she cooks..... and then I will clean them after she cleans them..... she tends to use hot water and her hands and that is all.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sometimes I really hate offices, especially when it comes to sharing things in the fridge. People can be so damn unforgiving of simple, honest mistakes. There was creamer in there, which was already open and unlabelled. I figured it was community creamer, so I grabbed some for my coffee. Now someone just came down to my desk, asking if I have seen anyone stealing creamer because there is some missing, etc. I said, "Well, I used some that was in there unlabelled. In the past, that has been 'community creamer.'" They said, "You didn't even ask!" I said, "How can I ask if it isn't labelled? Am I supposed to ask the entire office?" So now I am the office pariah creamer thief guy.

I don't know about anyone else's office life experience, but in mine: no label usually means "community creamer." Plus not to mention, EVERYTHING ELSE in the fridge has a name written on it. Did they run out of time when they got around to the creamer or something? I don't know.

Well, no more coffee for me anyway. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions