Lack of manners (response !)

DarrenJew

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Confucius once said:

“It is not the failure of others to appreciate your abilities that should trouble you, but rather your failure to appreciate theirs.”

Many comment on any forum tends to bring out many kinds of people. Some tend to know (think they know) everything, some excel at criticism, some are very constructive when criticizing, and few are genuinely sincere. The ones that bug me the most are the spammers... trying to sell a product or service over the web through a forum.... In the last example... I ask mayself... how can I see appreciation where others cannot?

The ancient Chinese have a word "Li" which roughly translates to etiquette. It is sometimes translated as ceremony, or form, but it means more than that. Li means right behavior toward everyone and everything; towards your family, your neighbor, toward earth and heaven and God. The Way, the Tao itself, depended on everyone’s Li, for how could it flow through and harmonize all things, if blocked, because of "lack of manners" disruption and chaos would result and eventually everyone will revert to savage barbarians. Most martial arts find their roots in not only skills of a warrior, but also that of a scholar. I expect to see many good things on posted on this forum.

OP
A

Autocrat

Firtsly.... Thaks.
Secondly... wow.
Thirdly... about what I expected and who I expected.
Fourthly.... sorry if yiu viewed the thread as poor taste, inane, sad, pathetic, insulting etc.... I just prefer being prevocative and antagonistic rather than laid back... so again I'll apologise if it has rubbed people up the wrong way or given the wrong impression.
It's merely a matter of principal and perspective.... just by reading through some of the archived posts here, there is more than enough users here to answer most questions or point others in the right direction.... yet if you look at the posts with the most responses, they're either antagonistic, proforma and done to death - yet still keep posters posting, or placed by long term members or high profile people..... very few newb's get attention/answers/help/info when they start.... I swear it's the medium we are using. It's the same in most forums.... I don't know why... may be it's subconcious yet we assume something about newbies.... hell, I'm guilty of it in some of the forums I belong to, (I have a post-it with "BE NicE" scrawled on it to remind me!).
Just thought I'd see if I could generate some awareness, discover any reasons, and see if set people responded with set answers.
On the up side, I get a Yes and a Yes.
On the down side, I got a final yes as well!
(I wonder if others will post after this ?)

Still, the medium is great for info-passing, the quality of postee's is invariably good.... it's merely the posts that lack... (not particularly here... forums in general!). The ratio of initial questions to answers is moderate... yet I'm certain that when the question is asked q week later, it gets more responses... any one know why?

Again, I apologise for any negativity this has generated... not the intent at all... and thank you all again.

Seigi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I Read threads to educate myself & times that i do not reply are when i feel i am not educated enough on the subject or feel that i would just be repeating what has already been stated over & over again. I try to focus on what is truly important in life!

Peace :whip:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Autocrat, my teacher taught me an important (but basic) lesson very early on. Please let me share it with you:

"People are just not going to behave the way you want them to."

Dunno what to tell you but advise you to enjoy the boards, deal with the disappointments from lack of posters, and concentrate on making your own contribution to the board.

Enjoy!!

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I personally feel a sense of obligation to reply only when I start a thread asking a question and people are kind enough to reply in a serious, thoughtful way. Then I owe it to them to respond with thanks. There are a lot of experienced, knowledgeable people here and I have benefitted tremendously from their advice. Telling them that they and their responses are appreciated is the least I could do. Try doing that, extending courtesy and respect and appreciation and you'll get some good answers from qualified people on your threads.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I reply to a thread it is because I have some information to give or a question to ask about the subject. I try to stay out of threads that deal in politics, religion, etc, because in most cases people have their minds made up on such subjects and are not going to change their mind no matter what is said.
When someone asks a question on this forum it is looked at by others and those that can usualy do respond, If the question is one that has been asked many times it may get links to refer to andd a new disscussion because there are always new people who have thoughts on many subjects.
If a question is asked about the martial arts it usualy gets answered if anyone here has any knowledge on the subject. The poster may not like the answere he gets but that happens from time to time.

BushidoUK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Unless i have something of interest to say, then I stay quiet.
I like to read the mostly well informed replies and try to only respond to those areas of which i have any knowledge, and where I believe the point I want to make has not yet been made.

OP
L

LT2002

I don't always post on sites and it takes a while before I even want to sign up.

Sometimes it is as simple as I close the wrong window and need to go back into it :lol:

OP
A

Autocrat

Well... seems to have hit a nerve or two as well now... didn't really want that... but willing if it occured. Just to make it clear, again I will state the reason for starting this....

The Thread was provocative in intent so as to test the responses and the responders.... I wanted to see who would post what.

If you read back through this thread, and look at the names... these are the names that appear in almost all the other thread s throught the forum, whether it be in the area of particular style they practice, or not!

Further more, if you read the tonal use of language by the posters, you'll notice certain things. Some are attempting to be helpfull, the majority go slightly defensive, one or two get offensive and guarded, and there is one in particular that is pathetic. (No, not mine *grin*).

This was not meant to turn ugly, invite insult or upset people. merely a demonstration of what I was stating... that a lot of questions, enquiries, requests for help etc. are posted, and hardly any response given, bar a few core posters. Not just here, but in forums in general... and I wanted to draw peoples attention to that fact.

The majority of posters to this thread have been pleasant in their responses... great. Some were a little patronising... not to worry, considering how this thread has made me appear, it's not suprising! Shame about some of the other posts, but you can't change the way society makes some people feel, or their responses, so I just feel sorry for them! *sigh*

So, to sum up.....
I wanted people to notice the pattern, and possible alter it slightly... becoming more helpful and sharing.....
it's not nice for the newbies when the post something, see it's been read xxx amount of times... and not one flaming bleeder had bothered to condone even posting a request for clarification!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was all, just a slightly pro-avtive measure, (OK, maybe you view it as antagonistic, surly, childish, currish, aggressive, pathetic, limp, lame, inane or what ever else.... sorry for that, not my intention!)

Instead of "oh", and the occassional "really, I don't think so", and the expected "well, the reason is..." lines, I also get slammed with "What a ridiculous thread."

So much for being helpful!

Sorry for attempting to improve the forum and help others out.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Autocrat said:
Well... seems to have hit a nerve or two as well now... didn't really want that... but willing if it occured. Just to make it clear, again I will state the reason for starting this....

The Thread was provocative in intent so as to test the responses and the responders.... I wanted to see who would post what.

If you read back through this thread, and look at the names... these are the names that appear in almost all the other thread s throught the forum, whether it be in the area of particular style they practice, or not!

Further more, if you read the tonal use of language by the posters, you'll notice certain things. Some are attempting to be helpfull, the majority go slightly defensive, one or two get offensive and guarded, and there is one in particular that is pathetic. (No, not mine *grin*).

This was not meant to turn ugly, invite insult or upset people. merely a demonstration of what I was stating... that a lot of questions, enquiries, requests for help etc. are posted, and hardly any response given, bar a few core posters. Not just here, but in forums in general... and I wanted to draw peoples attention to that fact.

The majority of posters to this thread have been pleasant in their responses... great. Some were a little patronising... not to worry, considering how this thread has made me appear, it's not suprising! Shame about some of the other posts, but you can't change the way society makes some people feel, or their responses, so I just feel sorry for them! *sigh*

[So, to sum up.....
I wanted people to notice the pattern, and possible alter it slightly... becoming more helpful and sharing.....
it's not nice for the newbies when the post something, see it's been read xxx amount of times... and not one flaming bleeder had bothered to condone even posting a request for clarification!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was all, just a slightly pro-avtive measure, (OK, maybe you view it as antagonistic, surly, childish, currish, aggressive, pathetic, limp, lame, inane or what ever else.... sorry for that, not my intention!)

Instead of "oh", and the occassional "really, I don't think so", and the expected "well, the reason is..." lines, I also get slammed with "What a ridiculous thread."

So much for being helpful!

Sorry for attempting to improve the forum and help others out.]
well sorry you feel this way it always important to give a reason behind the motive. So many here have to see the pattern of a thread before they post others just like to read, me myself and I always have something to say so I post alot. If you notice the one's that post rarely really have some great advice and the one's like myself have knowledge but we tend to post on everything and try to give some advise. So here's mine to you, do what makes you happy one man can't change the world but one man can make a difference and I'm sure this thread had made some people notice what you have and in some way you will bring that help to this forum
smileJap.gif

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not to be trite, but I stand by my original response. I've initiated threads that have received little feedback as well and so have many others. You can always pop back onto your own thread and post a second time to bump the thread so people see it a second time.

One might also remember that though we all be MT geeks, we do still have lives and we might surf many threads and distribute our precious time carefully. Some of us work on this board and read as many threads as possible to monitor language and conformity to the rules - that requires a fair amount of time.

Give yourself some more time on the board to see what happens and if people start responding to you more. But I can tell you that griping will not get you far.

So you've played your game and got what you wanted - congratulations, and I hope you feel better about being a part of MT. Now - off to posting, eh?

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I, for one, find when coming to a new place... one generally 'feels' out the area before trying to make changes or raising the ire of the 'residents'..
Get to know the people and put down some roots -- hold out a hand in friendship and hopefully become 'Part of the whole'..

~Tess

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I can only imagine who Autocrat was calling pathetic, but personally I like to spend more time training than talking about it...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
I, for one, find when coming to a new place... one generally 'feels' out the area before trying to make changes or raising the ire of the 'residents'..
Get to know the people and put down some roots -- hold out a hand in friendship and hopefully become 'Part of the whole'..

~Tess
That's exactly how I did it... it was akin to stepping into a pool of sharks... didn't want to get eaten alive by saying the wrong thing or not establishing myself. But now... ubba gabba I'm one of ya'll... :D :D :D

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
MACaver said:
That's exactly how I did it... it was akin to stepping into a pool of sharks... didn't want to get eaten alive by saying the wrong thing or not establishing myself. But now... ubba gabba I'm one of ya'll... :D :D :D
We are BORG. Prepare to be assim...assym....Dowh!

Resistance if futill....futal....FUTILE!

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
You got it Ralph and Paul~!! The Collective has spoken~!
In the wise and wonderful words of Daffy Duck....

"Yes, M'Love..." Wait that one is for my wife when I am not really listening but must make it sound like......Dowh! I mean, when I am being attentive to her emotional needs and ignoring the hockey game (college games this year) on the television...

For Tess it should be:

"Yes, Ma'am."...

Notice, Chet, how Paul's head is down, chin to chest in that subverted posture to the Alpha Moderator. In other cases, these MT MEMBER ANIMALS have locked eyes with the Alpha's in almost a challenge to their authoritah. These have broken into struggles, mostly ceremonial that have resulted in either permanent or temporary banishment from the MT PACK...

They are an interesting beast, Bill.

That's all for now from 'Bill and Chet's CyperSafari'

Join us next week when we follow the lifespan of the internet predator known as the pop up advertiser....Can't wait!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
For Tess it should be:

"Yes, Ma'am."...
Apparently you're not assimilated enough... the proper response is "Yes, my queen!"
:asian: :bow: :asian:

Latest Discussions