Responsibility of a Martial Artist

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please, keep the conversation polite and respectful.

-Ronald Shin
-MT Supermoderator

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
as a martial artist i dont think it is my duty to step into others confrontations but i do believe that it is my duty to help those who cannot help themselves hich.

hogstooth

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't think that you have a responsibilty as a MA to act on the behalf of others. But as I teach my daughter, you should lend a hand when a hand is needed and help your fellow man. That is not to mean that if the attacker has a gun you should try a Jackie Chan move and try to take it. You have to use common sense. But today most people have cell phones and can call the police.
I hate to say it but with all of the lawyers in this country looking to make a name for themselves, you may pay for that minute of bravado for the rest of your life. Fair or not, often times the criminal has more rights than the average citizen. In fact your MA skills can be used against you. Never the less I believe or would like to believe that if the situation presented itself I would come to the aid of a person in need dispite the consequences.

Chitmunk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My views on stepping in to help mimic many of the idea already put up here. I do not believe that the responsibility resides solely in your martial arts training, but in your moral views as a human being. A good person will step in to diffuse a situation in whatever way they have the ability, be it physically blocking the attacker from a continued onslaught, interupting the confrontation verbally and try to talk the assailant down, or calling the police and stepping in to perform first aid when the conflict has ended. Because of our training and confidence in our abilities, I do believe that make a martial artist more prone to stepping in to halt a conflict, but I don't believe that it increases our obligation any more than the next man.

A good man will do what he can, when he can. A bad one will think only of himself.

In reference to it being one of my loved ones being attacked, I would not care if it was a martial artist stepping in or not. So long as the ones I care about are protected and the situation dissolves as painlessly as possible. Just because you have training does not mean that you can handle every situation, but conversely just because you don't have training does not mean you cannot handle those same situations. All training gives is physical tools, and a strong, moral mentality.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here is a question for all of your folks here on the forums. In my style that I study Shaolin Northern Longfist there is a term called Wu De. Martial Morality. It touches on many different topics but one that is interesting to me is that Martial Arts as we all know is meant to be used in Self Defense only. However it is also taught in my school that MA is also to help protect and defend those that can't protect themselves. I understand that people stepping in to help others is happening less and less these days , mostly due to legal ramifications, and other factors.

WHat is everyone's feelings on this topic ? Do you feel it is our responsibility to step in as a trained MA-ist ? or not ? I look forward to all of your answers.

I feel that if you see someone being taken advantage of thay you have a responsibilty, not only as a martial artisist but as a fellow human bieng, to do what you can you to help preserve life and limb.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here is a question for all of your folks here on the forums. In my style that I study Shaolin Northern Longfist there is a term called Wu De. Martial Morality. It touches on many different topics but one that is interesting to me is that Martial Arts as we all know is meant to be used in Self Defense only. However it is also taught in my school that MA is also to help protect and defend those that can't protect themselves. I understand that people stepping in to help others is happening less and less these days , mostly due to legal ramifications, and other factors.

What is everyone's feelings on this topic ? Do you feel it is our responsibility to step in as a trained MA-ist ? or not ? I look forward to all of your answers.
mainly its legal considerations. not just civil ones either. some states have made it basically a felony, in a lot of states back east I understand, to engage any one in combat with out retreating till you may not retreat physically any more.
In my state its better then that but the civil suit that will fallow and the expense that in tales to fight, well If I do not know them and do not think its a serious harm situation... I will call 911... a serous situation, well i will go with what my gut says to do on that one.... Now if its me or my family, or other loved ones .. well then its all go winner take all..

Latest Discussions