Lack of LEO training needs to be a thing of the past

Status
Not open for further replies.

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Idk how many here have heard of the VA man who was killed by sheriff’s deputies in a hospital for mental health issues.

Long story short 7 deputies (I’d say the smallest was 190lbs) piled on top of this man(260-280 by the pics I’ve seen) who was already handcuffed and in leg irons.

Do I believe their goal was to kill this man? Not for a minute. Do I believe they and their department need to be held accountable for how it was handled? 100%

I have about 2 years of experience working hospital security, and for that first year I was going hands on with people for an average of at least once per shift. I’ve had to deal with people on all sorts of drugs and with mental health issues. The most I’ve ever seen piling onto a person was 5, and it wasn’t a general dog pile, it was one person for each limb and one to apply pressure to the dude’s shoulders/collar bones. In this particular situation it was 300+lb opioid addict going through withdrawals.

I’ve never had the advantage of holding someone who had their limbs already restrained. I’ve always had to get them under control and then apply restraints.

Police need real training on how to restrain people

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thread locked as this is not a political forum. While discussions of useful technicals for restraining are allowed, and even specific discussion of how to adapt something that was done to a more appropriate technique may be allowed (if it avoids politics), discussion of what training police officers need and whether or not there is (individual or systematic) negligence or abuse by LEO is inherently political nowadays. If you wish to discuss that aspect, there are better forums for those discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions