Experience applied to lessons that are lacking...

Blaze Dragon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So often enough there are posts asking about a particular martial art or school. Asking if it's any good. People who run schools tend to be face with challenges. If they want to stay open they need to become businessmen and have to work on marketing. This is not to say an instructor can not be both a fine instructor and a businessman. However I feel some schools tend to become chains, mass teaching with many assistant instructors. Sometimes mcdojos, other times they start name dropping or add new system names to what they already do. "hey we do kungfu lets learn a taiji form and say we do that too". Often in an attempt to look appealing to students. Students mean money, money means you can stay open.

The reason I bring this all up is there is a wide variety of schools. Picking the right school is a process and if you have no martial arts background you can be very much in the dark. Looking when you dont' know what to look for is a challenge. What's worse is options are all based upon what you can drive to and have time for.

What about if your not in the dark? What if you have trained and know what your doing. What if you've had street experience and know how to handle yourself. Or just generally were good at what you use to do. So you seek to get back into formal training.

So here is the question.

Do you feel that you can apply experience and understanding to a school that might be one of those mcdojos. Or were there teaching is lacking in applications. What are your thoughts?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So often enough there are posts asking about a particular martial art or school. Asking if it's any good. People who run schools tend to be face with challenges. If they want to stay open they need to become businessmen and have to work on marketing. This is not to say an instructor can not be both a fine instructor and a businessman. However I feel some schools tend to become chains, mass teaching with many assistant instructors. Sometimes mcdojos, other times they start name dropping or add new system names to what they already do. "hey we do kungfu lets learn a taiji form and say we do that too". Often in an attempt to look appealing to students. Students mean money, money means you can stay open.

The reason I bring this all up is there is a wide variety of schools. Picking the right school is a process and if you have no martial arts background you can be very much in the dark. Looking when you dont' know what to look for is a challenge. What's worse is options are all based upon what you can drive to and have time for.

What about if your not in the dark? What if you have trained and know what your doing. What if you've had street experience and know how to handle yourself. Or just generally were good at what you use to do. So you seek to get back into formal training.

So here is the question.

Do you feel that you can apply experience and understanding to a school that might be one of those mcdojos. Or were there teaching is lacking in applications. What are your thoughts?
Consider a school that stays open will train more people, and, at least, get them to a basic level of understanding.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
So here is the question.

Certainly; but it will depend upon how one presents ones self when there. Be respectful, humble, and helpful but not an arrogant know better person. My question to you would be why would I want to unless that was the only place to train?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

So here is the question.

i'd say you already have more than what such a school can offer you.

quality is ALWAYS a better answer than "I need more."

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I suspect that you won't find what you are looking for at that school, it would be a waste of time and money. The only saving grace would be that you could find other like minded, frustrated students in the school to partner up with outside of the school environment. But probably not worth the effort.

OP
Blaze Dragon

Blaze Dragon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Certainly; but it will depend upon how one presents ones self when there. Be respectful, humble, and helpful but not an arrogant know better person. My question to you would be why would I want to unless that was the only place to train?

I think that is the main reason someone may want to. They have no other option. I think most who have an option of a better should would go there. However for most it's slim pickings.

OP
Blaze Dragon

Blaze Dragon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i'd say you already have more than what such a school can offer you.

quality is ALWAYS a better answer than "I need more."

Fair enough, of course I am speaking hypothetically and of course skill and understand will vary. However I've always been of a mind that some training is better then no training. Also in the case of someone with experience I imagine it would be nice simply to be back in the atmosphere. Be inspired and have training partners.

Latest Discussions