LA Times article on Carradine, sort of

grimfang

Green Belt
Reaction score
LA Times ran this article on 3-7-04 ... think they were trying to promote the Kung Fu dvds, but maybe they just needed to fill a blank space in the HEALTH section... anyways, here it is... :rolleyes:

For Carradine, kung fu didn't end with show

The actor has been a teacher and devoted disciple of the martial art for 30 years.

By Jeannine Stein, Times Staff Writer

Before "Kung Fu" debuted on television, the martial art of the same name was something strange and exotic, practiced only by Asians who had studied intensely for years. But that changed when David Carradine appeared on the scene as a Shaolin priest who stood up to the bad guys while roaming the Old West, bringing kung fu to the masses in the process.

Today, 30 years later, various forms of kung fu are taught across the country, and elements of tai chi and other martial arts are incorporated into aerobics classes. Even Teresa Heinz Kerry, wife of presidential candidate John Kerry, publicly touts the benefits of tai chi. Martial arts may have lost their exotic cachet, but now millions of Americans are aware of their mental and physical health advantages.

Count Carradine among them. As much as the show fused martial arts to his persona, many people have no idea that the 67-year-old actor has continued to practice and teach kung fu and tai chi since studying it for the show, staying very much connected to these Eastern disciplines.

He is still revered by many in the martial arts field as the father of Western kung fu. He made the cover of Black Belt magazine in December and writes a wide-ranging monthly column about his life and martial arts for Inside Kung-Fu magazine. A multipart series of his instructional tai chi and kung fu videos is being re-released on DVD (for Naturaljourneys), and his role as the samurai-trained assassin Bill in the ultra-bloody "Kill Bill" Vols. 1 and 2 will introduce him to a new generation of martial arts fans. So will the release this month of the first season of "Kung Fu" on DVD.

Despite the decades of dedication, the man clearly does things his own way, both with kung fu, a Chinese combat martial art, and tai chi, a self-defense technique utilizing slow, steady movements that also are supposed to bring about relaxation and awareness of the body. Carradine is bored with basic foundation moves ("After a while you have to stop playing 'Chopsticks,' " he says) and practices when the mood strikes, often incorporating moves when he's alone or playing with his dog or grandkids. He doesn't even meditate the traditional way, choosing to steal moments whenever appropriate.

Whatever the formula is, it seems to be working. His longish gray hair is thinning, and his face shows the wear of almost seven decades, but his body is lithe and agile as he walks through the Bistro Garden restaurant in Studio City, headed for a corner table. There is none of the stiffness that often besets men his age.

Ask why he's stayed connected to martial arts for three decades, and he answers simply: "It feels good."

He seems to quickly realize the three-word answer doesn't nearly convey the true complexity of the relationship, and he continues: "I've done all kinds of physical things — I was a middleweight boxer for a short period, I did weightlifting, I used to run seven miles every day, all these things to keep in shape. Most of them are not really fun, and they don't go anywhere. Tai chi, kung fu, I don't care if you do them all day long for the rest of your life, there will always be something further, something more. It's enlightening, and you can't get enlightened lifting weights."

These days his training routine is more haphazard than it has been. His training partner and kung fu master of some 20 years, Rob Moses, recently moved to Hawaii, so Carradine doesn't have the benefit of their weekly sessions.

According to Moses, Carradine served as the inspiration for his 9 Psalms Praying Mantis Martial Fitness System, an interpretive form of kung fu that incorporates pantomime-type motions of swimming or playing with a ball. Because Carradine isn't especially interested in the rote movements that are the basis of martial arts, Moses had to come up with something else to challenge him.

"It was his birthday in 1999," Moses recalls, "and I was supposed to meet with him, and I thought, what am I going to do with David? This is boring for him." Out of that, 9 Psalms was born.

Carradine is still proud that "Kung Fu" didn't present the ancient martial art as a cool tool for revenge. The point of kung fu, he believes, is not to fight, not even always to defend yourself, but what the art "gives to you — the serenity, the confidence, the connections between your mind and body and spirit."

He's felt that way during and since "Kung Fu" and even through the sequel series "Kung Fu: The Legend Continues," which ran from 1993 to 1996. That has helped cement his reputation in the martial arts arena, says Dave Cater, editor of Inside Kung-Fu magazine.

"The show had a message, and it wasn't just shoot-'em-up," says Cater. "There was a philosophy behind it. Everybody looks to him as almost the founding father of Western kung fu, and even when he's not in the kung fu limelight, he's always in the hearts and minds of kung fu practitioners."

Carradine says he immediately connected with the extensive samurai training he did for "Kill Bill." (Vol. 2 is scheduled for release in April.) He surprised himself, even enjoying the rigorous discipline and exacting moves that the art requires. The three months of preparation included exhausting daily doses of stretching, cardio workouts, samurai technique and wire-assisted acrobatics. At the end, the actor says, he felt like a lion. One scene shot outside a monastery required him to walk up and down some 100 steps over and over, take after take.

"So I'm running up the steps because I don't want to waste time, and because I really don't want all these Chinese guys to think they're dealing with an old man," he says, scooping up the last bits of his raspberry tart.

"I want to show them I can handle this. And at the end of the day I'm not the least bit tired, and I realized that 10, 20, 30 years ago I could not have done this. All the training I've done throughout my life, plus the training on the movie, has actually put me in a situation where I'm a better physical specimen than I was when I was 22 years old.

"I'm not trying to be a master," he adds, "I'm just trying to find more of me, and it should be making you more of you."

A discipline for body and mind

Of the martial arts, tai chi in particular can have several benefits for the body and the mind, says Los Angeles-based instructor Randall Unruh, who has been practicing the discipline for 29 years. He outlined a few:

Balance: Basic principles of tai chi help practitioners understand the way the body moves and how the bones and muscles relate to one another. "You become more aware of where you're putting your foot. These things help people, especially as they age, develop a better sense of what they're doing with their body." It also can make people less prone to injury and falls. "We recognize that there are more than five senses," he says, "that there are also internal senses."

Flexibility: Even with the basic exercises, the upper and lower body go through a full range of motion in a slow, fluid manner. Continuing to do these movements helps keep the body flexible without straining it, which is why many people can carry on their practice into their later years.

Strength: Tai chi can be deceptive. Although some of the movements are slow and graceful, it takes muscle strength and control to do them, do them well and do them repetitively. "When you do one little [routine] for seven or eight minutes you're exhausted, like you've been lifting heavy weights for 20 minutes. There's a lot of hard work going on on the inside, while on the outside you keep it soft and supple."

Posture: The body's posture can improve through a combination of elements, including emphasis on proper alignment, an increase in muscle strength and balance, and the confidence that comes from being fit and aware of one's body and its movement.

http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-bodywork1mar01,1,4724619.story?coll=la-home-health

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I never had the opportunity to see the whole "Kung Fu" series but I did see the Pilot which I loved and it was so inspirational because it shows a man of peace who only uses his Martial Arts skills for good! I like the philosophy aspects because I have tried to incorporate this into my life! I too believe that Martial Arts is much more than being able to fight and the Character Caine projected this serene,wise image!
I actually have one of David Carradine's books on Tai Chi and saw a video of his Tai Chi, Kung Fu workout! Its weird seeing him do that and before watching him as a bad guy in Martial Arts films such as Martial Law and Lone Wolf McQuade, but also not all of his films are Martial Arts films!
has anyone seen Birds on a Wire?
I was also wondering if The Kung Fu series 70s and 90s was on dvd and video at all? I live in England so I haven't seen any!

M

Mormegil

My brother was a big fan of the show. I told him I saw an infomercial a few years back with Carradine selling his Tai Chi videos.

My brother's response was a take on that old commercial cliche...

"I'm not Chinese, but I play one of television..."

PS: I'm not saying you need to be Chinese to do CMA, just pointing out that fact that he played a Chinese immigrant (and descendent of Chinese Shaolin monks*)

* Not very celebate monks, huh?

S

ShaolinWolf

I loved KUNG FU the series...David Carradine was awesome, in both series.

S

shadow warrior

Whatever reputation he has in relation to martial arts, it was his reputation for other activities that became well known here in TO when he was making the "Continues" series here in the early to mid 90's.

Many of my friends worked on that show in various capacities. Whatever martial techniques he displayed were shown to him on the set by the stunt co-ordinator. The moves, had to be very, very simple.

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
I remember David Carradine was supposed to be playing mixed race person! Kwai Chang Caine had a Chinese mother and an American father in the series!
Its quite plausible having David Carradine as that character because he does have slightly foreign features.
I would really love to see the series because I have never seen the entire thing!

old_sempai

Green Belt
Reaction score
New Jersey, way in the woods with 2 dogs, one pass
E Hollywood did a show on Carradine and reported that during the taping of his Tai Chi tapes he was consuming a quart of Vodka a day. In addition during the series Kung fu took no interest whatsoever in learning anything about the the art, and futher reported his keeping to himself in the trailer when not needed on the set. This story reminded me of Jan Michael Vincent, another good actor that was also a closet alcoholic. A recent People story labeled him a "drunk" and "washed up" actor, and of course he's now suing. Hope he doesnt sue me!!!!!!!!!!!!

:partyon:

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok so why did he do the tai Chi and Kung fu tapes? Apparently he had been a student of a Chinese master during and after the Kung series. But I think he is more noteworthy as an actor then a Martial Artist. Chuck Norris made a remark about him when they both starred in Lone Wolf McQuade "he's about as good a Martial Artist as i am an actor" I guess they didn't get on too well!
In fact David Carradine is of Irish extraction which may explain his drinking habits.

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
He is still revered by many in the martial arts field as the father of Western kung fu.

Is this overstating the impact of David Carradine a bit? Yes, it was a good show and yes, it introduced America to Kung Fu more than Green Hornet. It had an impact but this is a little over the top, IMO.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tony said:
Ok so why did he do the tai Chi and Kung fu tapes? Apparently he had been a student of a Chinese master during and after the Kung series. But I think he is more noteworthy as an actor then a Martial Artist. Chuck Norris made a remark about him when they both starred in Lone Wolf McQuade "he's about as good a Martial Artist as i am an actor" I guess they didn't get on too well!
In fact David Carradine is of Irish extraction which may explain his drinking habits.

Actors are paid to act, not sell ethnicity. James Caan is Jewish, at least partially, by heritage yet he as played Italian mobsters/Irish tough guys and all american types. Harvey Keitel is also Jewish by heritage and played many character types. I don't think the actors ethnicity is really the issue as much as the fact that D. Carridine had NO MA experience when he started the series - but was supposedly trained as a dancer. The show was great because it wasn't about his martial skill as much as his moral skill (character in Kung Fu, not D. Carr.). I loved the show. I think I developed more of a love of the internal parts of CMA that has influenced my understanding of MA as a whole from the Kung Fu series along with the first Karate Kid movie. At the root though, both stories had a message of sympathy and compassion through education/understanding and NOT might makes right - which tends to be the message of most of our best loved action films. I still love them, but think that it creates a confusing message for young viewers, unless other influences are there to help clarify the message (parents, school, friends...) in a positive way.

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kung Fu the tv show was extremely influential in my life. Regardless of his race, David Carradine played the part and did it well. The story is about a chinese/caucasian who didn't look too chinese but didn't look that caucasian either. This appealed to me as a filipino/caucasian who also looked different from both sides. And as for not being a martial artist at the time, nobody in the US really knew shaolin from dimsum and most still don't. How many "Gung Fu Karate" signs still light up the suburban night? His inexperience might have made him easier to work with for the choreographers of the time. I would also speculate that his appearance and the relative subtleness of his moves allowed the show to integrate into the nighttime lineup on tv in a way that regular kung-fu movies couldn't. Overall there is a definite positiveness to his work and the character that he played.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
bart said:
Kung Fu His inexperience might have made him easier to work with for the choreographers of the time. I would also speculate that his appearance and the relative subtleness of his moves allowed the show to integrate into the nighttime lineup on tv in a way that regular kung-fu movies couldn't. Overall there is a definite positiveness to his work and the character that he played.

I am Amer-Asian (1/2 cauc 1/2 Okinawan) and related to the mixed ethnicity of the character as well - but never really recognized that until I read your post :). I also like the point about how Kung Fu could be plot/character driven and not action driven because of his lack of training. That made for good story instead of bad story and good action fights. Walker Texas Ranger is a very weak show because of the over emphasis on the action vs. the plot.

The problem started when D. Carr tried to cash in on his action star niche and take other roles along those lines. That was when his lack of background in MA stood out. Also the writing in most of the later stories was weak, so his acting skill (if ever there) couldn't really carry/hide his lack of art skill.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
grimfang said:
LA Times ran this article on 3-7-04 ... think they were trying to promote the Kung Fu dvds, but maybe they just needed to fill a blank space in the HEALTH section... anyways, here it is... :rolleyes:

http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-bodywork1mar01,1,4724619.story?coll=la-home-health
First of all, everytime I watch the New Kung Fu seies I find my self yelling, "get a stunt double quick!", secondly although I like David Caradine as a person and a martial artist, that statement about how you can improve your posture through balance is absolutly flippin' rediculous. You improve balance by paying attention to posture, not the other way around. Hows that go?:
Balance
Posture
relaxation
speed.

And further more, strength is not increased through better posture. ability and efficiancy of muscle use sure, but bad posture re- focuses that strength on your own motion. Oy!
Sean

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
that statement about how you can improve your posture through balance is absolutly flippin' rediculous. You improve balance by paying attention to posture, not the other way around. Hows that go?:
Sean

Actually, things like fitball, stability training do use instability or 'balance' training to force the body to find efficient body positions i.e. good posture. I think it is a matter of which your training regiment decides to focus on more than a 'this before that' absolute. Gymnasts aren't taught 'good posture' so much as reinforced to apply good posture through regular challenges of balance and orientation (proprioceptivity training). So, based on the training, balance challenges are used as a reinforcer/trainer of good posture. I think it is more a cycle of learning here, and your training only makes it arbitrary for the sake of a regiment. Balance promotes good posture which promotes good balance.....

I don't know the quote you are referring to, but could it also be referring to balanced muscle development equating to good posture? Blending traditional Tai Chi language with Phys. Sci. language is REALLY confusing.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
Actually, things like fitball, stability training do use instability or 'balance' training to force the body to find efficient body positions i.e. good posture. I think it is a matter of which your training regiment decides to focus on more than a 'this before that' absolute. Gymnasts aren't taught 'good posture' so much as reinforced to apply good posture through regular challenges of balance and orientation (proprioceptivity training). So, based on the training, balance challenges are used as a reinforcer/trainer of good posture. I think it is more a cycle of learning here, and your training only makes it arbitrary for the sake of a regiment. Balance promotes good posture which promotes good balance.....

I don't know the quote you are referring to, but could it also be referring to balanced muscle development equating to good posture? Blending traditional Tai Chi language with Phys. Sci. language is REALLY confusing.
What is balance?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
Loaded question. Do you mean physiologically, philosophically....?
Now that you mention it I suppose the def would be the same for both in some strange way, but lets just stick to the physical for now.
Sean

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
Now that you mention it I suppose the def would be the same for both in some strange way, but lets just stick to the physical for now.
Sean

Wow! Started a search in fitness areas for a def of balance and got tons of contextual def.... dietary, muscular, biological systems....

for the sake of physical performance/athletics I am working this this basic idea:

"A state of bodily equilibrium: thrown off balance by a gust of wind. "
"The ability to maintain bodily equilibrium: Gymnasts must have good balance."

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
Wow! Started a search in fitness areas for a def of balance and got tons of contextual def.... dietary, muscular, biological systems....

for the sake of physical performance/athletics I am working this this basic idea:

"A state of bodily equilibrium: thrown off balance by a gust of wind. "
"The ability to maintain bodily equilibrium: Gymnasts must have good balance."
What is body equalibriam, and how might that be acheived?
Sean

Latest Discussions