Anxiety about starting a new Martial Art!

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok as some of you know my kung fu classes have stopped all together because the numbers have been falling which has forced me to look for another martial art. I rememeber when I was looking for a martial art 9 years ago I would get to some Clubs and get totally intimidated and barely make it through the door because I have some confidence issues. Although I have improved my confidence over the years with therapy I'm still not totally happy with where I want to be. I've looked at many different martial arts and it fills me with such dread that I will have to start anew again, have to introduce myself to the teacher who may or may not be friendly. Tonight I'm going to a new Kung fu class near to me which is much better organised than my last Kung fu class. It is a full time academy and has such styles as Sanda, Tai chi, Kung fu, Wushu, Jeet Kune do and self defence. It also has a Chinese Master who is head of the academy who I believe takes some of the classes which makes me feel even more intimidated! And then tomorrow I'm going to look at a Jeet Kune do class which takes place at the same Sports Hall where I used to do my Kung fu but I might just go and watch to see if its something I would feel comfortable with. Next week I'm going to look at Aikido on Tuesday and Jujitsu on Wednesday so wish me luck over getting over my nerves!

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tonight I'm going to a new Kung fu class near to me which is much better organised than my last Kung fu class. It is a full time academy and has such styles as Sanda, Tai chi, Kung fu, Wushu, Jeet Kune do and self defence. It also has a Chinese Master who is head of the academy who I believe takes some of the classes which makes me feel even more intimidated!

Hey Tony—it's natural to feel nervous a bit when you start something new, and martial arts are somewhat `charged' because there are performance standards built in that can be somewhat intimidating. But remember, you're going to be seen as a `newbie' in this place, and no one is going to be expecting you to work wonders. The fact is, your prior background in CMA will virtually guarantee that you're going to look a lot better than a genuine beginner, who's not only beginning a new class but actually doing MAs for the first time. So you've got the best of both worlds, in a way. And the fact that you actually have a Chinese master running the whole show shouldn't intimidate you; it should reassure you that your chances of getting the Real Deal in CMA instruction are outstanding, eh?

Good luck on your introductory sessions in your new classes and let us know how it goes. You'll see, after a few classes you'll feel like a battle-hardened veteran! :)

OP
T

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Exile

Thanks, thats actually helped a lot. I never looked at it that way. You're right because I do have a solid grounding in a Chinese Martial Art so my flexibility will help too. Also I am giving some other styles a try too to see how I like them. Thanks for your positive words!

Tony

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Remember the fun is learning, not what other people think of you. Remember to they are problably thinking the same thing and are nervous about what you are thinking. Good Luck!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Exile beat me to it..Pray you NEVER become so jaded that the idea of learning something new has no effect on you...

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Exile

I never looked at it that way. You're right because I do have a solid grounding in a Chinese Martial Art so my flexibility will help too. Also I am giving some other styles a try too to see how I like them. Thanks for your positive words!

Tony

You're more than welcome; and both The Kidd and Drac are correct in their posts. `New' should be fun, and exciting—the nervousness is part of that package!

I really mean it about letting us know how it goes. People often do post to Martial Talk about their experiences in their classes, especially when just starting up some martial arts program. Virtually everyone on this board has been in that position—some on many occasions, each time they added a new MA to their training history! So there are a lot of people who've been there and are hoping it works out very well for you (which I'm certain it will), and want to hear about it.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Always remember, other people are more worried about their own mistakes than yours. Just relax and try and enjoy learning something new.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I get nervous going into any new training situation. Don't be nervous, think of it as a challenge. Things will work out for you. You never know where a change may take you and your training.

OP
T

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I just hope i don't get there and chicken out like I have done in so many other styles I wanted to try. When I do that i know I'm letting myself down!

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
A fight begins always inside of you, then it moves out of you towards the opponent.
In my opinion being able to overcome feelings, which are natural, like fear, stress, excitement, intimidation, is not an easy task. Look at this overcoming the feelings which will prevent you from doing something part of your training.
If someone attacks you in the middle of the street you will end up having an overload of feeling, some good for the fight and some not.
Go to the new dojo, stop in front of the door, take a deep breath and go on step inside leaving behind you all your fears.
Last Tuesday, preaparing for a test, my Tai Chi Sifu told the whole class one thing, which I think makes alot of sense...remember that when you are in here practicing you don't do it for me, for the rest of the class, for your family or for the Art. You only do it for yourself, this is "your" Tai Chi and not mine.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
A fight begins always inside of you, then it moves out of you towards the opponent.
In my opinion being able to overcome feelings, which are natural, like fear, stress, excitement, intimidation, is not an easy task. Look at this overcoming the feelings which will prevent you from doing something part of your training.
If someone attacks you in the middle of the street you will end up having an overload of feeling, some good for the fight and some not.
Go to the new dojo, stop in front of the door, take a deep breath and go on step inside leaving behind you all your fears.
Last Tuesday, preaparing for a test, my Tai Chi Sifu told the whole class one thing, which I think makes alot of sense...remember that when you are in here practicing you don't do it for me, for the rest of the class, for your family or for the Art. You only do it for yourself, this is "your" Tai Chi and not mine.

All are excellent posts, and especially where I made bold. Martial arts is what you make out of it. Relax, take as many deep breaths as necessary, and most importantly- enjoy yourself! Don't think of the prospective instructor as a disciplinarian (sp?), but a fellow practitioner when you go and check it out. They're concerned about how you feel, and if they're making sense to you. Feel free to voice your concerns, and any questions that come up.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Always remember, other people are more worried about their own mistakes than yours. Just relax and try and enjoy learning something new.

Everyone here is making a lot of sense; I want to get back to Shaderon's post because it underscores a point that's way too often neglected, not just in the MAs but in the rest of life as well: we tend to think that people pay a lot more attention to us than they actually do. We imagine walking into a room and everyone's eyes turn judgmentally on us; but it's not like that at all—when we walk into that room, what's actually going on is that everyone else in there is working hard to make the best possible impression on everyone else, to make the others think well of them, and when you enter that room, you're just one more person whose view of them they have to think (i.e., worry) about. One of the nice things about getting together with friends is precisely that you don't spend that much time thinking about how you look to them; if they're really friends, you're long past that point, eh? Students worry about the impression they make on each other, or on their instructor; instructors worry about the impression they make on their students—hard to believe, but it's true. No one is sitting back making cool, imperious judgments about you from a position of infinite self-assurance—everyone is far more concerned about how you view them than in coming up with reasons to judge you negatively.

So when you walk onto that MA studio floor, just remember that it's full of only partially secure people concerned with how everyone else in the room is going to size them up. Even if you screw something up the first time or first few time... it won't mean anything at all to them. They're going to be nervous too!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Tony—it's natural to feel nervous a bit when you start something new, and martial arts are somewhat `charged' because there are performance standards built in that can be somewhat intimidating. But remember, you're going to be seen as a `newbie' in this place, and no one is going to be expecting you to work wonders. The fact is, your prior background in CMA will virtually guarantee that you're going to look a lot better than a genuine beginner, who's not only beginning a new class but actually doing MAs for the first time. So you've got the best of both worlds, in a way. And the fact that you actually have a Chinese master running the whole show shouldn't intimidate you; it should reassure you that your chances of getting the Real Deal in CMA instruction are outstanding, eh?

Good luck on your introductory sessions in your new classes and let us know how it goes. You'll see, after a few classes you'll feel like a battle-hardened veteran! :)

Just one thing...

Remember that your in THEIR class now.

I've had a few people with prior training come in, and they had a little attention problem; they thought they knew what I was trying to teach. Even if I visit another school in the same system I teach, I do things the way they're doing them, even if that doesn't match exactly what I do or teach. You're in their house, you play by their rules.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah,

When in Rome do as the Romans so to speak. However, I remember about 12 yrs ago I went to an Aikido class when I was overseas. The class was nice to me and complimented my throwing and falling. They seemed a bit interested in what background I had, I told them a bit of hapkido.....more judo and wrestling than anything.

So, just because it is new doesn't mean it's bad or anything.....it just is.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Tony,

I recently began retraining in a system that I trained in over 20 years ago. I had been away from this system for many years, while I studied other arts with other teachers. I finally decided to revisit my roots, found an instructor in the same system, he is much higher level than my first instructors. I am starting out as a newbie, relearning the basics, and on up. I hoped to put on a white belt again, but he wouldn't allow it. I had to put on my black belt, even tho I felt like I really no longer merited it. Not only that, but that puts me as one of the highest ranking students in the training group. Other than me, there are about 3 brown belts, 3 yellow belts, an orange belt, a white belt, and the assistant instructor who is higher up than me.

Talk about feeling like a target was painted on my chest. I felt really awkward, but everyone has been very welcoming in the group and I've been having a lot of fun while I started over with the yellow belt material.

I guess you just know you are learning and growing when you are out of your comfort zone, so embrace it and enjoy it.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Tony,

I recently began retraining in a system that I trained in over 20 years ago. I had been away from this system for many years, while I studied other arts with other teachers. I finally decided to revisit my roots, found an instructor in the same system, he is much higher level than my first instructors. I am starting out as a newbie, relearning the basics, and on up. I hoped to put on a white belt again, but he wouldn't allow it. I had to put on my black belt, even tho I felt like I really no longer merited it. Not only that, but that puts me as one of the highest ranking students in the training group. Other than me, there are about 3 brown belts, 3 yellow belts, an orange belt, a white belt, and the assistant instructor who is higher up than me.

Talk about feeling like a target was painted on my chest. I felt really awkward, but everyone has been very welcoming in the group and I've been having a lot of fun while I started over with the yellow belt material.

I guess you just know you are learning and growing when you are out of your comfort zone, so embrace it and enjoy it.

Tony—to Flying Crane you listen!

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I want to get back to Shaderon's post because it underscores a point that's way too often neglected, not just in the MAs but in the rest of life as well: we tend to think that people pay a lot more attention to us than they actually do. We imagine walking into a room and everyone's eyes turn judgmentally on us; but it's not like that at all—when we walk into that room, what's actually going on is that everyone else in there is working hard to make the best possible impression on everyone else, to make the others think well of them, and when you enter that room, you're just one more person whose view of them they have to think (i.e., worry) about.
So when you walk onto that MA studio floor, just remember that it's full of only partially secure people concerned with how everyone else in the room is going to size them up.

Can't improve on Exile here. Would just reinforce it with a pithy saying I heard somewhere: What other people think of me is none of my concern. And for a natural introvert like me, life's always better when I remember that!

OP
T

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks again for your kind words but I chickened out again!! Theres a Jeet Kune Do class tonight where soem people from my old Kung Fu class go to so I will try and go to that one. There are more Styles I want to try out next week too!

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Exile, thanks for elaborating, you said it better than I could. I use to be a complete wreck in front of other people until my psychology teacher pointed that one out.

Tony, I'm sure you'll get your confidence when you see something that is right for you, if your instincts are telling you "no" then they might have a point. The class where some of your old fellow students go sounds promising, I'm sure you'll choose the right thing.

OP
T

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys I went to Jeet Kune Do class and it was awesome!! I had been wanting to learn this for ages but there was no where local taht taught it. AT first i didnt' think i was goign to be able to even get to the sports hall but I was lucky enough to have been spotted by some of my kung fu class mates who welcomed me, got talking with them and we were waiting for teh instructor to finish his last class before taking us. The Intructor is also a 2nd Dan in ShotoKan Karate. We were watchign a display of his studenst goign thrugh their kata. I was talking to some peopel from my Kung fu class then asked the instructor if i could join in. He was only too happy to let me participate. We warmed up while he was getting changed then he came back, got us partnered up. We had to do a punching and parrying drill as well as ducking when your partner takes a swing at you, then some pad work and after that double stick work. And finally single stick, all of which was a lot different to what I'm used to apart form teh light sparing drill whihc was a lot of fun. I believe teh sticks were either Escrima or kali but still it was so much fun and I want to go back. But I also want to try some other Martial Arts styles too to get an all round experience.

Latest Discussions