Kusari Fundo

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JMD said:
Sci-fi fans I take it. Am I the only one who wishes they would re-air the Crow t.v. series episodes again on the Sci-Fi Channel?

Yeah prolly.

Ya know JMD, seeing your post about avatar and your post about the Crow, I think you should head over to Bob's OTHER forum and check that out...

http://www.rustaz.com/forum

You'd prolly fit in with us over there.

And now, onto the topic of Kusari Fundo... What makes a good improvised Fundo, other than a rope, or a shirt/jacket...

Ideas?

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I almost always wear a bandana. Being bald in the winter is probably a dumb idea, but it's not really a choice I made. I've actually found that taking out the knot is a bad idea. It's actually better for trapping to leave it as is.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rutherford said:
I almost always wear a bandana.

I do too, because It keeps my helmet fresher than if I wear it without one. What do you think of the bandanas with the pockets in teh corners for "change"?

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
I do too, because It keeps my helmet fresher than if I wear it without one. What do you think of the bandanas with the pockets in teh corners for "change"?

I have four of them. One blue, two black and one woodland camo. I used to wear one hanging out of a pocket for quick access, but I soon found out that can very easily be misinterpreted... :anic:

"Next week I'm in Vegas, like Dan Tanna, and I wipe my fingerprints off with my bandana, make sure it's all clean, then flee the scene, I keep it cold blooded mean and do it all for the green..."

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For myself my favorite version of a flexible weapon is a rolled
up shirt, light coat or simply my belt. Best thing about these
is that I almost always have one with me except for when on
the beach and then I have my beach towel. Nothing beats
the bite of the chain so to speak but a good belt, towel, etc.
used by a well trained practitioner can be very effective.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm wearing my Kusari Fundo at work today. I often carry a knife in my pocket, but today I just wanted to grab the rope much the same way I dug through my closet for the exact T-shirt I wanted.

It's hanging off my belt, looks nice with the outfit, and hasn't generated any comments. Hehe. Yes, I'm having fun openly displaying a weapon at work.

lalom

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have seen that those that train with manriki chain have different lengths varying from one to another. My question is, are the length differences based on personal preference or is there an actual formula for determining what length of kusari should be used? I have not trained yet with it and am just wanting to know for the future.

lalom

Green Belt
Reaction score
rutherford said:
Holding the weights, it should be no longer than your arm.

Is that holding the weights one in each hand? I'm not clear, sorry. Or is that one weight in the hand and the other end near your shoulder? Please clarify. Thanx.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok. The chain itself, ignoring the weights, should be LESS than the distance from your wrist joint to your shoulder joint.

The reason for this is because the Kusari Fundo will bounce on impact, and you don't want it to smack you good. Also, you gotta be able to swing it - and again not hit yourself doing so.

I highly suggest starting with a rope version until a licensed instructor tells you it's ok to play around with a chain.

The Pittsburgh Bujinkan has some funny video of a guy smacking a watermellon with a Kusari Fundo. You can find it on Yahoo! video with a search on Kusari Fundo.

Latest Discussions