Kusari Fundo

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
I recently read "Ninjutsu a History and Tradition" and I was especially intrigued by the "Kusari Fundo". I did a thread search and didn't really find any opinions about it. Has anyone besides me taken a special interest in it or can anyone give me their personal experiences with it? It seems like a reasonably easy weapon to hide in your pocket, but i'm not sure. Would it be a practical weapon once you have experience with it? Thanks in advance.

Deaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kusari Fudo is a great weapon to learn. Basically all chain or rope weapons are good to learn however I will stress this... if you're taijutsu sucks then you are going to be having a lot of problems learning it.

Personally I think it is a very versatile weapon since you can apply the same principles using a belt, a hose etc.

But like I said, taijutsu plays an extremely important factor in learning the kusari fudo. You have to learn to use your body to manipulate it and not let the kusari manipulate you! :)

HTH,

~Deaf~

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
To echo Deaf, one of the guys in our shibu have a very long key chain that he uses in a similar fashion. Pretty nifty. Versatile and useful weapon.

MrH

OP
Satt

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Deaf said:
Kusari Fudo is a great weapon to learn. Basically all chain or rope weapons are good to learn however I will stress this... if you're taijutsu sucks then you are going to be having a lot of problems learning it.

Personally I think it is a very versatile weapon since you can apply the same principles using a belt, a hose etc.

But like I said, taijutsu plays an extremely important factor in learning the kusari fudo. You have to learn to use your body to manipulate it and not let the kusari manipulate you! :)

HTH,

~Deaf~
So I guess what you are saying is...don't worry about the weapon right now. Just concentrate hard on my taijutsu and the rest will follow. That sounds like good advice. Thank you Deaf.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Satt said:
So I guess what you are saying is...don't worry about the weapon right now. Just concentrate hard on my taijutsu and the rest will follow. That sounds like good advice. Thank you Deaf.
Screwing up with the Kusari Fundo is a good way to see holes in your taijutsu... My taijutsu is far from perfect... maybe moreso than a lot of the guys on here who are more experienced than me, but I have used the Kusari Fundo pretty extensivly in my training... its a difficult weapon, but a good... adaptable one.

You hear a lot of talk about the Hanbo, and how when you are out if you need one you will find a subsitute, but really LOOK for one when you are out... they are there, but not always readily availible... Kusari fundo is.

After all, you usualy wear a shirt or jacket, right?

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is an interesting weapon. I have trained a little with it (training version from Dick Severance). Like Deaf said, it will bring to light any shortcomings with your taijutsu. The thing I really felt when using it was that it was like a flexible hanbo. My experience with it is limited but that was something that seemed immediately clear to me.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Satt said:
Yes, I agree. In my opinion, without proper taijutsu, weapons are more difficult to weild. Also, in the beginning it is too easy to focus on using the weapon and not moving properly or controlling the attacker. The way I see it is the weapon is just a tool and just like techniques, the opportunity to use it just appears. So if you train with weapons, don't *think* about using them, move properly as if you don't have it in your hands.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Definately it shows your weakness in your movement conversely
it will also show you when you are doing something right! The
best thing about training with flexible tools is that we almost
always will have one with us! Such as : belt, shirt, coat, rope,
scarf, bandana, etc. The Kusari Fundo is a fantastic tool and
if you can get decent with it you will be able to apply the
techniques with a wide range of other tools! I particularly like
training with the rope training versions available and then
switching over to the chain and if someone is working with
it for the first time seeing their reaction to the bite of the
steel! If you can do techniques with the training rope then
you will be dynamic when applying it with the chain!

Brian R. VanCise

Deaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes, to an extent I am trying to say that people should concentrate on their taijutsu and the weapons will follow. But only to an extent.

I am not saying that people should not work on weapons until their taijutsu is really strong because that may take time. Instead, incorporate the weapons into your training slowly over time and when training with weapons concentrate more on using taijutsu to make the weapon come "alive" than concentrating on the weapon itself. Sure you'll get hit and beaten quite a bit from the weapon due to the "holes in your taijutsu" as Technopunk stated but that will just serve as a reminder to you to work more on the taijutsu hopefully.

One training scenario I like is when the instructors start teaching the class a few kata and then after the basics are gone over and some time spent on the kata has been done. They will then introduce a weapon to work on. We do the EXACT same kata but with a weapon. It can be a real eye opener for some people because they really learn... weapon - no weapon... ummmm same thing! :) Just one can extend the reach more than other among other things.

HTH,

~Deaf~

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Deaf said:
Instead, incorporate the weapons into your training slowly over time and when training with weapons concentrate more on using taijutsu to make the weapon come "alive" than concentrating on the weapon itself...

It can be a real eye opener for some people because they really learn... weapon - no weapon... ummmm same thing! :) Just one can extend the reach more than other among other things.
Very good point, I didn't realize that our comments could have been taken the wrong way. Yes, there is nothing wrong with incorporating weapons early on. As this will begin teaching to NOT focus on the weapon. Using a weapon often magnifies the movement so it is easier to "see". We often use the swords and hanbos for this very reason.

Deaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Using a weapon often magnifies the movement so it is easier to "see". We often use the swords and hanbos for this very reason.

Yes, another good benefit of learning weapons as well! Sword work really helps people to "see" the footwork necessary to get the hell outta the way! :)

~Deaf~

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a rope weapon made by the same Shihan. It's good quality. I've only had to patch the ends once from overzealous training against a vicious toaster. %-}

Have fun.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rutherford said:
I have a rope weapon made by the same Shihan. It's good quality. I've only had to patch the ends once from overzealous training against a vicious toaster.

Those toasters will turn on you every time....
:whip:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Where on Earth did you Find a Cylon to attack with your Kusari Fundo Rutherford?

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My favorite improvised version of this kind of weapon is a small padlock on a key lanyard. Though I prefer to wield it in more of a sap/blackjack fashion than as a garotte or regular kusarifundo, simply because I don't feel I've practiced with it enough.

r erman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Where on Earth did you Find a Cylon to attack with your Kusari Fundo Rutherford?

I wonder how many other geeks laughed as hard as I did at this...

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
r erman said:
I wonder how many other geeks laughed as hard as I did at this...

Thank you.

I was beginning to think the reference was lost.

Cyber Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sci-fi fans I take it. Am I the only one who wishes they would re-air the Crow t.v. series episodes again on the Sci-Fi Channel?