Kukkiwon Special Testing!

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear All,

I am aware that the special testing took place in Las Vegas, however I have also heard rumor that there was another special testing in Austin during the Junior Olympics.

I have some questions about the testing held in Austin and would like to here from anyone who attended!

Regards,
Spookey

OP
S

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have verified the promotion per the Kukkiwon website, and know for fact the recipient was not in Vegas. That is the credibility in the statement, however this person states how they did...to earn the rank, "as opposed to others who simply mail their application to their organization and dont physically test for the higher ranks".

I am looking for anyone else who tested here or can verify if there was actually a testing. There were many students at the Junior Olympics from the same dojang, however no one saw the testing.

Just makes me wonder so I am looking for more info. I do agree though, the Austin test was not publicized, or at least nothing on the scale of the Vegas testing. I want to know if the Kukkiwon Panel came back to the US for a second time?

Inquiring minds want to know!

TAEKWON!
Spookey

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm... maybe someone just held a private test at the same location and sent in the paperwork to Kukkiwon like any instructor does?

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My understanding was that there was supposed to be a "high Dan" test at Nationals for those who felt the need to test for eighth and ninth Dan. Though I'm not sure if they went through with it after what happened in Vegas.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I was there....... Along with Evis,Jim Morrison,DD copper andTupac. I would like to tell you more about it but the implant in my head is starting to heat up.......

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was there most of the time. If a Kukkiwon testing was conducted it was a stealth test, No Public announcement, no documentation published, "Does not sound right" There was however a MAC meeting which means a test could have been conducted through one of these high ranking Masters.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Can someone elaborate?

i was at both the testing in Vages ( competed,tested and passed) and Nationals in Austin ( competed). I was also at one of the MAC meetings because I was inducted this time. First as far as Vages goes, some people who tested and didn't pass are pissed because they were not told why. Two weeks ago I was at the kukkiwon for the instructors course, so I though that I would go in the Dan office and ask around about my test score. I tried to give them my testing number (528) but they told me that that information was for KKW eyes only. So even the ones who passed don't know how the did. They said that all I needed to know was that I passed. Also the are pissed because they misread some information about refunds. Second, the MAC meeting that I attended was very small, I didn't notice anyone from the testing council of KKW there ( anyone I saw in Vages) all we talked about was how the state orgs would work togetherand next years nationals thatwill be run by MAC. Lastly, I asked Master Park ( one of the tester on the Vages Council from KKW) what he had be up to lately when I was at KKKW 3 weeks after Austin and he did not mention anything about being back in the states.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i was at both the testing in Vages ( competed,tested and passed) and Nationals in Austin ( competed)..
me too.
First as far as Vages goes, some people who tested and didn't pass are pissed because they were not told why.
Me too. Only i was told by KKW why when i contacted them ( NO I DIDNT CALL CRYING, like you, I happened to be in contact and just asked). They said my test scores all passed and my report was "well" only they wanted more time for 6th dan. I had missed several oppurtunities to test (long story). My total time as a BB was more than enough but they felt the long times between the lower ranks of Black weren't enough. Because I was a 1st and 3rd forever (long time as 3rd) rather than 4th (as a 4th I had the time for 5th (4.5 yrs) but they prefered even more time time as a 4th to skip to 6th, probably wanted all 9 years as 4th to skip) Not sure if that made sense to you.
Two weeks ago I was at the kukkiwon for the instructors course,)..
How was it. I want to go... maybe next year. cant make it to the one in Chicago this year either.....

Also the are pissed because they misread some information about refunds. )..
Not that I care about the refund, it was worth it to me just to be there.... It was a little misleading, they allowed me to test, yet didnt fail me for performance... just a technicallity that they should have known prior to letting me test and should have NOT told me I could test. But honestly, i dont care and didnt press the issue or complain. it is what it is. I'm still happy.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
me too.

Not that I care about the refund, it was worth it to me just to be there.... It was a little misleading, they allowed me to test, yet didnt fail me for performance... just a technicallity that they should have known prior to letting me test and should have NOT told me I could test. But honestly, i dont care and didnt press the issue or complain. it is what it is. I'm still happy.

I would agree on that...When I spoke with USAT that was my point also. As far as the instructors course it was great!

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Shouldn't USAT have caught that during their screening process and, if there were any questions, sought the advice of KKW prior to allowing it to go even further down the line?

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
They did. The people testing were told there would be some allowance on time in grade but not 5 years. People were warned that they might not get the rank they applied for. Other than not knowing the physical requirements the biggest reason for failing was time in grade. IE: you could have 5 years as a 1st, 5 years as a 2nd, 5 years as a 3rd and 1 year as a 4th and your time in grade is, ta daaa, 1 year time in grade. You don't get to add all those years as a lower belt to your total. It's like I heard recently of 2 MA's, one was a 2nd and one was a 3rd and and they were going to combine their ranks giving them a 5th and then test and promote each other. True story. I really don't know about the rest of the arts, that is not where I am at, but I do known a tad about the KKW and there is no way they would let something like that happen. The KKW is not know for cutting people slack.

Last edited:

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
YESSIR... thats what i found out after the fact. would have been nice to know before though. oh well.... water.... like water.....

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
BTW, as far as I know, laurentkd hit the answer right on the head. The only test I know of was for a BB going for her 6th Dan and it was posted on Lady TKD's website. She already has her KKW certificate. There could have been others but if so I don't know about them.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dunno about the test in Austin. I was in Vegas. No skip for me. It was my time. My GM passed away in 97 and his son sold the school to another GM who would not promote me to 5th unless I gave him 5000 bucks. I left and opened my own school. I would still be a 4th but an old friend (GM) gave me a recommendation and off I went.
No one who failed should be asking about a refund. Many should not have been there/passed.
After watching at US open I went back for my bag and found a copy of the "LIST" that had everybody's name/birthday/current rank/requested rank/years training...etc. It even listed the people who were given an "automatic pass" (The test that never took place the night before....one of my friends was on the list and never had to do anything).
After looking at the list for a while I noticed that many had less than 12 years practice and were asking for 5th,6th and even 3 for 7th dan.
I have checked on the KKW web site and only 121 of those who "tested" actually passed to the level they asked for. Considering that there were 42 that did not have to be there (3rd dan or less) and 30 were passed the night before, only 49 people passed to the level that they asked for. Seemed fair considering what I saw.
If the KKW/USAT did hold a promotion In Austin they probably did not advertise it. probably did not want any more bad press.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
wow.... good info. i wish someone had put a list in my bag.

I agree, there were WAY TOO MANY there who should not have been.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Dunno about the test in Austin. I was in Vegas. No skip for me. It was my time. My GM passed away in 97 and his son sold the school to another GM who would not promote me to 5th unless I gave him 5000 bucks. I left and opened my own school. I would still be a 4th but an old friend (GM) gave me a recommendation and off I went.
No one who failed should be asking about a refund. Many should not have been there/passed.
After watching at US open I went back for my bag and found a copy of the "LIST" that had everybody's name/birthday/current rank/requested rank/years training...etc. It even listed the people who were given an "automatic pass" (The test that never took place the night before....one of my friends was on the list and never had to do anything).
After looking at the list for a while I noticed that many had less than 12 years practice and were asking for 5th,6th and even 3 for 7th dan.
I have checked on the KKW web site and only 121 of those who "tested" actually passed to the level they asked for. Considering that there were 42 that did not have to be there (3rd dan or less) and 30 were passed the night before, only 49 people passed to the level that they asked for. Seemed fair considering what I saw.
If the KKW/USAT did hold a promotion In Austin they probably did not advertise it. probably did not want any more bad press.
What list and how did you come by it? I tested for my current rank ( no skip) and passed so tell me my name and DOB

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
so what chance do we have that you would "anonymously" publish said list?

would have asked in a private message but you dont have that available on your page.

Latest Discussions