Kukkiwon Special Testing comes to the UK

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, um....do you really want my two cents on this?

;)

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think everyone's clear on yours (and most other people's) opinions on this Special Testing (that doesn't require testing for 3rd Dan and allows skip dans), so there's probably no need to go over old ground ;-)

I posted it because it might be of interest to some UK based people on here...

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair enough :)

Tell you what, I'll shoot GM Davies an email. He's the highest ranked KKW TKD guy in GB, though he isn't really thrilled with them. The KKW still comes to him though for his advice on what to do in GB and how to accomplish it. I'll see if he has any thoughts and if he doesn't mind me posting them.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You do know that out of 321 testee's only 97 passed, right? I am speaking of the kkw special exam that was held in Vegas (2009). Many had bad form and did not know the required poomsae. Some had obviously not trained in many years and it showed.

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tell you what, I'll shoot GM Davies an email. He's the highest ranked KKW TKD guy in GB

Assuming you're referring to GM Andy Davies (as Chris Davies is lower graded if I remember correctly) - I thought GM Tony Vohra was senior?

though he isn't really thrilled with them.

Really? Do you know why? I know Chris Davies was just in Korea for the KKW Instructor Course so I assume he has no problem with them.

The KKW still comes to him though for his advice on what to do in GB and how to accomplish it. I'll see if he has any thoughts and if he doesn't mind me posting them.

Definitely...

hungryninja

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was there as well. I was also surprised that many did not know the required poomsae, and saw evidence of bad form (in my opinion). Coming from a different organization, I switched over to the taegeuk poomsae years before and was thankful for Master Park Jong Beom's seminar.

You do know that out of 321 testee's only 97 passed, right? I am speaking of the kkw special exam that was held in Vegas (2009). Many had bad form and did not know the required poomsae. Some had obviously not trained in many years and it showed.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was there as well. I was also surprised that many did not know the required poomsae, and saw evidence of bad form (in my opinion). Coming from a different organization, I switched over to the taegeuk poomsae years before and was thankful for Master Park Jong Beom's seminar.
I too found GM Park to be an excellent and honest instructor. I have attended many KKW seminars and he was good. GM Hwang was better but I was in front where no one else wanted to be.
The testing will not be bad. They will fail anyone not up to scratch.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm assuming this was for the 4th Dan and above category. As I understand it, 1st - 3rd does not have to actually test and only valid paper work is required. Thus, one could obtain up to 3rd Dan through the KKW but yet either not know the forms or not be able to perform them to satisfaction. Without getting into the whole can of worms in yet another thread, this speaks of accountability.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assuming you're referring to GM Andy Davies (as Chris Davies is lower graded if I remember correctly) - I thought GM Tony Vohra was senior?

Yes. The stats that I've seen may be old, but as far as I remember there was only one 7th Dan in GB. GM Davies obtained this within the last couple of years so I'm assuming that is him. If not, then he is one of a very small number of 7th Dans in GB. As far as 8th, I don't know of any, but again the stats I've seen on Dan numbers may well be out of date.

Really? Do you know why? I know Chris Davies was just in Korea for the KKW Instructor Course so I assume he has no problem with them.

Most of the problem stems from political power grabs in GB with different factions pushing to be 'the' voice of the KKW in GB. There was some problems with the government as well but don't remember the particulars. Like I mentioned, I'll shoot him an email and get his thoughts. He is a wealth of knowledge and really a high caliber person.

RonMarlow

White Belt
Reaction score
GM Tony Vorha of Nottingham was promoted to 8th Dan in 2007 and is the highest ranking Taekwondo practitioner in Great Britain.

aftab

Orange Belt
Reaction score
GM Tony Vorha of Nottingham was promoted to 8th Dan in 2007 and is the highest ranking Taekwondo practitioner in Great Britain.

I heard GM TK Loh picked up his 9th Dan this year...

aftab

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this. It's great news for people in the UK I think :)

I hope this is the first of many visit by the Kukkiwon team to the UK, as am sure a lot of people will benefit from the technical seminars also.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm assuming this was for the 4th Dan and above category. As I understand it, 1st - 3rd does not have to actually test and only valid paper work is required. Thus, one could obtain up to 3rd Dan through the KKW but yet either not know the forms or not be able to perform them to satisfaction. Without getting into the whole can of worms in yet another thread, this speaks of accountability.
True, but you need a recomendation from a 4th dan or higher for 1-3rd dan and a recomendation from a 7th dan or higher for 4-6th dan. The ngb for GB has the final say on who attends.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You don't have to grade for these? Every martial art that has grades and a belt system grades for these surely?

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
True, but you need a recomendation from a 4th dan or higher for 1-3rd dan and a recomendation from a 7th dan or higher for 4-6th dan. The ngb for GB has the final say on who attends.

Really? The paperwork says that either the NGB or a KMS (Kukkiwon Member) can sign off on the application. Any 4th Dan or above can apply to be a Kukkiwon Member.

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes. The stats that I've seen may be old, but as far as I remember there was only one 7th Dan in GB. GM Davies obtained this within the last couple of years so I'm assuming that is him. If not, then he is one of a very small number of 7th Dans in GB. As far as 8th, I don't know of any, but again the stats I've seen on Dan numbers may well be out of date.

The available online information has him at 8th Dan (I believe KKW), but as Aftab posted I'm sure GM Vohra got his 8th Dan first. He's certainly one of the most senior, but I'm not sure about "the" most senior. Also GM Shin Tong Wan has his 8th Dan Kukkiwon.

Like I mentioned, I'll shoot him an email and get his thoughts. He is a wealth of knowledge and really a high caliber person.

I look forward to the first part and absolutely agree with the second part.

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score

Actually having looked in to GM Loh as Aftab said he's a 9th Dan, I saw he got promoted to 8th Dan in 2000. I don't know if that's Kukkiwon or kwan rank though. I'll ask GM Vohra about seniority.

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
You don't have to grade for these? Every martial art that has grades and a belt system grades for these surely?

Section 3 of the PDF document I linked to: "Participants who apply for 4th Dan and above must take a practical test on the exam date. There is no practical test for promotion through 3rd Dan"

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Section 3 of the PDF document I linked to: "Participants who apply for 4th Dan and above must take a practical test on the exam date. There is no practical test for promotion through 3rd Dan"

It's not often I'm at a lost for words but you don't have to grade for your black belts, they are given to you? Wow.

Latest Discussions