Kukkiwon Special Testing comes to the UK

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's not often I'm at a lost for words but you don't have to grade for your black belts, they are given to you? Wow.
I will say it again: You need a recomendation fron a 4th dan or higher to test(receive) 1st-3rd dan. The recomender could promote them him/herself. I do not think a recomendation for dan transfer(itf-kkw) or a skip dan would be easy to secure unless deserved. As for 4th dan and up a 6th dan(or 7th dan, I can not remember) or the head of GB's NGB can recomend. Most people at that level will not give out a recomendation lightly, especially if it is for "master" level.If they come to the us again with a special test I have a student who I think could skip dan. He has been in the us for 2 years (resident alien). He trained in the philippines for 24 years. Due to a lack of funds he is still a 2nd dan. The cost for his 3rd dan was more than he made in 3 months. He ran 6 schools on 2 islands for ten years. People like him are the ones a "special test" is designed for. Remember that the NGB can only recomend, not pass. Who passes is up to the kkw.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will say it again: You need a recomendation fron a 4th dan or higher to test(receive) 1st-3rd dan. The recomender could promote them him/herself. I do not think a recomendation for dan transfer(itf-kkw) or a skip dan would be easy to secure unless deserved. As for 4th dan and up a 6th dan(or 7th dan, I can not remember) or the head of GB's NGB can recomend. Most people at that level will not give out a recomendation lightly, especially if it is for "master" level.If they come to the us again with a special test I have a student who I think could skip dan. He has been in the us for 2 years (resident alien). He trained in the philippines for 24 years. Due to a lack of funds he is still a 2nd dan. The cost for his 3rd dan was more than he made in 3 months. He ran 6 schools on 2 islands for ten years. People like him are the ones a "special test" is designed for. Remember that the NGB can only recomend, not pass. Who passes is up to the kkw.

Ah, a recommendation, just that, no grading nor test no feeling that this is it, I have to put everything into this grading? You get recommended and here's your belt, a let down I imagine. And I'm not even going to mention 6 year old black belts :confused:. Sorry but not to grade even to get your !st Dan just seems not right but if it's what the business wants I guess it keeps enough people happy.

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually having looked in to GM Loh as Aftab said he's a 9th Dan, I saw he got promoted to 8th Dan in 2000. I don't know if that's Kukkiwon or kwan rank though. I'll ask GM Vohra about seniority.

I believe Andy Davies isn't 8th Dan KKW, it's a kwan rank.

I believe GM Loh isn't 9th Dan KKW (and may not be 8th Dan KKW), but kwan rank.

GM Shin I believe recently tested for 9th Dan KKW (and passed), but that's unconfirmed.

GM Vohra is 8th Dan KKW.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe Andy Davies isn't 8th Dan KKW, it's a kwan rank.

GM Davies has his 7th KKW and 8th through a Korean GM (don't remember who at the moment).

He has notified his associates of this special testing for their own judgement. For himself, he has relayed to me that he does not wish to be a part of it in any regard due to the state of TKD politics in GB. He has been contacted for his support but has declined. I have the greatest respect for GM Davies and realize that for him to take such as stance has great meaning.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, a recommendation, just that, no grading nor test no feeling that this is it, I have to put everything into this grading? You get recommended and here's your belt, a let down I imagine. And I'm not even going to mention 6 year old black belts :confused:. Sorry but not to grade even to get your !st Dan just seems not right but if it's what the business wants I guess it keeps enough people happy.

One could make the assumption that the individual in question has indeed tested with someone and passed. Whether or not this has actually happened may not be known and perhaps is an issue of accountability on the part of the special testing. I would have preferred to see everyone tested, not just for accountability on the part of the KKW, but for the individual as well. Testing, particularly 1st Dan should be a special event/time for the student. Whatever stock one puts on a 1st Dan, it is still a pivitol rank/milestone in a student's career. In otherwords, what would be better to say;
  • I tested in person before a group of KKW masters and passed.
  • I sent in my check, it was cashed and I got my cert.
Even if the person did indeed test with someone else of appropriate rank, was properly recommended and paid the required fee, it just isn't the same as actually testing in this type of a function and passing. I think it does short-change the legitimate student as well as open the door to other issues. I suppose it isn't much difference than testing in a school and sending in the fee, but that is only because the KKW itself isn't usually present (as in actual representatives of the KKW). If one puts value on a KKW cert, then they should be able to experience the full thing. Just a thought.

aftab

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Still no formal update of the Kukkiwon Special Promotion Test on our NGB in the UK :-O

I guess only the KMOS member clubs will benefit from this...