Kukkiwon Skip Dan Promotion

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why would there be such a need to hold special tests to skip multiple ranks?

Off the top of my head: 1) Say you have a KKW 1st Dan, & changed schools & ranked up in say the ITF. then you want to come back to the KKW after a number of years. 2) You were told that you had legit KKW rank past 1st Dan & it was found that your instructor never sent it in. You think you're a KKW 4th Dan, but you only have a 1st Dan.

Sorry, but "getting screwed" in the past was my 1st thought as to why someone might benefit from a special test like this.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Off the top of my head: 1) Say you have a KKW 1st Dan, & changed schools & ranked up in say the ITF. then you want to come back to the KKW after a number of years. 2) You were told that you had legit KKW rank past 1st Dan & it was found that your instructor never sent it in. You think you're a KKW 4th Dan, but you only have a 1st Dan.

Sorry, but "getting screwed" in the past was my 1st thought as to why someone might benefit from a special test like this.

Ahhh I didn't think about gaining rank in other federation and then wanting to transfer over to KKW. That makes sense.

I guess I didn't think "getting screwed" was all that common (although maybe I should have since it happened to me personally!)

I don't know, I still don't think it should be all that common though... I think easily attained rank is one of the misconceptions we have to fight from other styles. I just worry about making it so easy to skip degrees.

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What I have been told (it dosen't come from anyone special, but it makes sense), is that this is an offering, an olive branch if you will, mainly for the ITF folks, in hopes that it will generate the beginnings, of that rumored consolidation we have heard about. The problem with this is that the ITF folks, which branch I have no idea, want an equal crossover of rank, but this does not sit well with the high dans of the Kukkiwon. They would have to share those high ranks with their counterparts and they just don't want to it seems, otherwise it would have been a done deal right after Choi passed away and before the ITF split into 3 seperate factions. Just another observation for thoughts...........

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A few years ago, there was an article in TKDTimes by a guy who was told for years that his instructor was sending in his KKW info after each test. Many years later it was found to not be true. It was his quest to get his actual KKW 4th Dan which he had tested for. It was not easy, as one could imagine.

I has a friend, a KKW 8th Dan, who bought a school from someone who told his students he was a KKW 9th Dan. As you can guess, he was not a 9th Dan....... but a 1st Dan! My friend became an instant hero to the BB's in his new school by being able to get them legit KKW rank.

There are tons of stories like this, sadly. I'm glad they are having a special test. Please post info on the when & where of the test.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A few years ago, there was an article in TKDTimes by a guy who was told for years that his instructor was sending in his KKW info after each test. Many years later it was found to not be true. It was his quest to get his actual KKW 4th Dan which he had tested for. It was not easy, as one could imagine.

I has a friend, a KKW 8th Dan, who bought a school from someone who told his students he was a KKW 9th Dan. As you can guess, he was not a 9th Dan....... but a 1st Dan! My friend became an instant hero to the BB's in his new school by being able to get them legit KKW rank.

There are tons of stories like this, sadly. I'm glad they are having a special test. Please post info on the when & where of the test.

I agree some many people like myself was taken for a fool once by someone and it is a ***** to get it staighting out. Thank God for good people who knows you and your abilities.

Loomie

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Same thing happened to my Masters. Their instructor never sent in their paper work and disappeared with their money. They are 4th dans and could very likely be 7th or 8th dans. Not sure if they would be interested in testing at this point though, they are more into the giving back more than anything.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Same thing happened to my Masters. Their instructor never sent in their paper work and disappeared with their money. They are 4th dans and could very likely be 7th or 8th dans. Not sure if they would be interested in testing at this point though, they are more into the giving back more than anything.

Great way to be.

Latest Discussions