I think TKD can be saved

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm been seing TKD videos about WTF and ITF Tae Kwon Do and Pro Tae Kwon Do and think TKD as a Martial Art can be saved.

I think if I had my own dojang will do emphasis on the techs, the SD the pommsae and talking about sparring definitely will use the ITF sparring system but not leaving the WTF sparring system at all. Why? because I think the ITF style of sparring is more dinamic and more situable for the streets, in the other hand if pupils wants to go tournaments (WTF rules in my country) they will perform by those rules.

Now I need to start saving for my dojang. Easy task don't you think?.

Manny

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didn't know tae kwon do needed to be saved? It seems to be doing fine with niches available for those interested in them. If you like WTF sparring, go do WTF. Like the ITF, join the ITF. Want something kid-friendly, well there's loads of kid-friendly schools.

As for mixing ITF-style sparring with WTF (do you mean KKW?) membership, I'm sure the majority of KKW clubs out there that DON'T have Olympic aspirants do something similar, if you just mean allowing punches in sparring.

KickFest

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Saved from what exactly?

If as you say, you think it can be saved as a martial art then from my experience it doesn't need saving at all! There are fantastic taekwondo-in such as Stuart Anslow, Simon John O'Neill and Matthew Sylvester who are spreading the word about practical applications for SD. My instructor also places a heavy emphasis on SD when compared to the sport side of things. I think people are evolving the art and sharing their ideas more than ever before, due to, for example, their want for a better art or due to the popularity of MMA.

If you're watching WTF tournament sparring videos then I can understand your frustration. I've seen it mentioned in another thread a while back that the sport should be separated from the art and I think this would be a good move. So if anything, I would say it needs saving from itself!

Out of interest, what part of WTF sparring do you find unsuitable compared to ITF? As far as club sparring goes, apart from not punching to the face in WTF I've not noticed a massive difference.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Saved from what exactly?

If you're watching WTF tournament sparring videos then I can understand your frustration. I've seen it mentioned in another thread a while back that the sport should be separated from the art and I think this would be a good move. So if anything, I would say it needs saving from itself!

Yes, I also think sport should be separate from the MA.

Manny

Latest Discussions