Kug Maky Ung Ryu Ninjitsu

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
it is this principle that i am using to guide my kug maky ung creation.

as far as ridicule, or lack of acceptance from this forum, i originally came here and posted this to share in my excitement, never dreamed i would be so harshly rebuked.

Quel surprise! Again, if you intend to train and create in your own little world, why share with us? When you jump up and down and say "look at me!", don't take offense if folks want to know why they should bother.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kug Maky Ung, loosely translates to mean "The warrior spirit within me". It comes from no known language. I just created as a child to reflect that the system I was creating emphasized mastery over one's mind and emotions and that cultivating a personal philosophy of warriorship.
Ah that explains things thanks!!

As far as a Japanese origin to my system, my main formal training is in judo and BJJ , both of which have Japanese origins. My self training in ninjitsu comes from hatsumi and hayes materials primarily. I firmly belief in self training though, and even when doing randori , I always customized techniques and created my own style that worked best for me, based on a technique "feeling" right. These have always worked best for me and led me to believe that self discovery of technique based on intuition is best.
There is a style of Jujutsu out there called Yoshitsune jujutsu invented by an American. There really was a Yoshitsune family very famous. Anyway this guy invented his style based on his foundness for Yoshitsune and his study of I believe Hako ryu jujutsu. I have heard that the decendants of Yoshitsune could sue for the creation.
Ninjutsu has a strong connection with oral transmission called Kuden(secret oral transmission) maybe you can learn very basic taijutsu but IMO
I would think Kuden is the "magic" in the art or what makes it Ninjutsu.
as far as ridicule, or lack of acceptance from this forum, i originally came here and posted this to share in my excitement, never dreamed i would be so harshly rebuked.
I think the presentation of what you started off with as in "You can throw a bunch of techniques together=Ninjutsu" is not the best method for those who practice traditional arts that have historical connections with Ninjutsu.

If you said I am creating an art called Kug Maky Ung ryu based on my experience in special forces,Judo,and BJJ that might not be to bad.

Even if you said I am training with a Shidoshi in Bujinkan and working on blending some of the Ninjutsu techniques into my new system may not be to bad either.

Its when you say I trained in Judo,BJJ,read/watched books or videos by Hatsumi and Hayes thus I can create my own Ninjutsu that just doesn't fly.

But maybe we work on that and try to straighten this out.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Earlier I had stated that I was done posting on this topic. The last post was so far off base that I must respond. First off, Kug Maky Ung as a name is not of any Asian language origin, as you all keep insinuating. I made that up as a child when I was trying to create my own martial art.

No Kug Maky Ung is not. The contention is that, are you ready for this? Ninjutsu IS. THAT is the asian name you took and added to your Made up art.

When I wanted to train some stuff with my two sons I knew I needed a way to grab and hold their interest. They love Hanzo Hittori from playing Dynasty Warriors so I knew they would be game if I called it Ninjitsu. Not wanting to be deceptive and call it just ninjitsu , which would connotate a generic style= bujinkan, I chose to bring the name from my childhood and call it Kug Maky Ung Ryu Ninjitsu.

I won't even acknowlage this... Rick Tew did it because he got good at playing in his backyard obstacle course. Only a tiny handful of people don't think he's a huge fraud. That is what you are setting your sons up for. Think about it for a second.

Stealth tactics of Japanese origin? Are you kidding? Ultimately all human endeavor has African origins so you may as well quit calling your "authentic Ninjutsu" ninjutsu since everything contained in it is predated from a different continent.

This right here shows your ignorance of Ninjutsu, and why you shouldn't use it. So your contention is that the footwork and body posturing to chase a lion thru the tall grasses of the plains of Africa is the same as used to walk across a "nightengale" floor?

Again, most of the posters need to practice a bit more humility. If you as a collective are true representatives of the persona yielded by training in your true ryu's , then I guess I am glad I am not involved.

To be honest with you, thats exactly how many of us feel about people with stupid preconceived notions of what ninjutsu is who are so far off the mark, but won't pay any attention to the people who know what it actually is.

I will continue to train in and develop Kug Maky Ung Ryu and enjoy it. My beliefs about what constitutes ninjitsu are completely in line with me calling what I am doing ninjitsu.

And my beliefs that choclate milk comes from Brown Cows is completely in line with me thinking brown cows are pretty swell. It doesn't make it real anywhere but in my head.

And FWIW, while I am enjoying this, I don't believe any of what you posted for one second. It does give me a chance to rip on all the fake Ninja wannabes out there.

Me? I'm a pirate myself. Yarrr

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kug Maky Ung, loosely translates to mean "The warrior spirit within me". It comes from no known language. I just created as a child to reflect that the system I was creating emphasized mastery over one's mind and emotions and that cultivating a personal philosophy of warriorship.

"Loosely translates?" From what? Childhood gibberish?? I mean I'm glad you were deeply inspired by the martial arts as a child but then who wasn't? You were trying to create something that was supposed to emphasize mastery over one's mind? Master this: it's ridiculous. Please stop embarrassing yourself.

As far as a Japanese origin to my system, my main formal training is in judo and BJJ , both of which have Japanese origins. My self training in ninjitsu comes from hatsumi and hayes materials primarily. I firmly belief in self training though, and even when doing randori , I always customized techniques and created my own style that worked best for me, based on a technique "feeling" right. These have always worked best for me and led me to believe that self discovery of technique based on intuition is best.

I've tried a lot of things that "felt right" - and they didn't work. This is why you need a good teacher. And you say they worked best for you ... in what way? Have you had occasion to test your style? How?

it is this principle that i am using to guide my kug maky ung creation.

We are really trying to do you a big favor here - go look on YouTube for some of those self-taught videos, the infamous kid with the staff, etcetera. That could well be what you look like. I also invite you to read not just this forum but other forums on the likes of people like Bruce Calkins. There will be those who embrace him and those who rebuke him. There are big names on some of these boards - people well-respected in their areas. I suppose the decision will ultimately be yours, but if you really believe in your training, take it to a local dojo and see what they think. Then another one. Then another one. Then another one. Find the one who is kind to you and sympathizes with your desire for training and see if s/he'll teach you. Good luck.

Consider the wake-up call a gift. I would like to echo what Cryozombie said - think of the legacy you are leaving your children. A made-up style with no time-testing whatsoever.

Hey, maybe we're all wrong and you're some natural-born martial arts genius ... which means you could have the greatest gift to American martial arts in about a decade. So ... why not share it with us? How about posting a video?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you honestly think this response is harsh, I would honestly suggest staying off martial arts forums.

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
If you honestly think this response is harsh, I would honestly suggest staying off martial arts forums.
This hasn't been harsh. No way. This has so far been well meaning attempts to correct and educate. Luckily I'm under no such restriction. I call an idiot an idiot, and let the chips fall wherever.

So emiliozapata, you're saying that I can take my time in the ROTC, and some NG work, add to it my 4-5 competition wins on the tourney circuit, mix in some Arnis, Kenpo, and Grappling, as well as my hobby of chopping watermelons with my wall hanger, read a few books by Hayes and Hatsumi, maybe one from Kim and Lung, and a couple of videos from Crack Belt and make my own nunja art, call it Goo Goo Ga Do Rio, and be a master like you?

Wow. I don't even have to send in any box tops, or run around in red spandex pants screaming "Morphine Time!" like you do in SuperDuperPooper Ninji Go Rick "the quack"
Tew's thing, or fake a history like Quacking Dux huh?

Please, Please, Adopt me! I want to be one of these poor kids you're teaching crap too, who if they ever try to use what you taught them, will learn to their dismay that their dad's a fraud. Well, that and that getting ones *** kicked, really really hurt.
Do you have any legit black belts in any of those arts you are borrowing techs from?

Why not enroll yourself in a legit ninjutsu class, and teach your kids real techniques, or better still, enroll all of you together and get real training from experienced and qualified teachers?

That's what a responsible parent would do.

Just because you survived some gun fights in the sandbox, doesn't make you a qualified teacher of kids. I would think you would want your kids to have legit training, and not some untested fantasy crap you whipped together under a bull **** name while living our your childhood fantasy.

The gaps in your knowledge could seriously harm your kids, with possible long term or fatal results. Is your self serving fantasy really worth risking your kids health?
I'd think that a responsible parent who really cared about their kids would be better than this.

That's ok though. If your kids are ever in trouble because of the fantasy art you whipped up, I'm sure Google will point the other sides lawyers and Child Services at who to blame.

OP
emiliozapata

emiliozapata

Green Belt
Reaction score
Actually bester. I have no fears of setting them up for failure as the taijutsu I am teaching them is very practical, reality based technique which will actually prepare them for a confrontation with a non compliant , unwilling participant. It is trained with fervor and body conditioning is emphasized. Your judgements are way off base.

Bester

Reaction score
"Taijutsu, is a form of traditional Japanese unarmed combat common to a plethora of arts utilized throughout main land Japan's history."

You are not teaching a Traditional Japanese art, therefore you are not teaching "Taijutsu"

You stated "my main formal training is in judo and BJJ "
What ranks do you hold in these arts you are basing yours off of?
How many years have you trained?
Under who?
When?

You stated "My self training in ninjitsu comes from hatsumi and hayes materials primarily."
So you read a couple of their books, maybe watched a video or 2, and really think this really qualifies you to understand their arts?

Otaku no Baka!

Perhaps you should call your babytalk art bukyo sho setsu ryu.
It's fitting I think.

I trust my Japanese isn't as rusty as Emil's blade?

OP
emiliozapata

emiliozapata

Green Belt
Reaction score
I could post all my qualifications and training and achievement and none of it would matter. You would still resort to insultive barbs against me such as "baby talk school", and that is o.k. I don't fear your insults as much as you obviously fear me based on your juvenile and unhonorable need to insult me.

Bester

Reaction score
Some ways to tell you are full of crap, and deserving little respect.

1- You make up a language, and aren't a qualified linguist.
2- You make up an art based on what you read in books and saw on the tv.
3- You use foriegn sounding words to add "mystical" feeling
4- You use titles and terms from other arts and other cultures, neither of which do you have much if any practical experience with. "I watched Samurai X" doesn't make you a master swordsman.
5- You try to convince people on a web board who have real training, and real experience, and real familiarity in a culture, that your little childish fantasysomehow makes you their equal, or above them.
6- You think you understand something because you read some wiki entries, saw a Discovery Channel special, or took a weekend seminar.
7- You misuse terms and fall back on "it's my understanding because thats how I want to see it" like any ignnorant dumb *** would.

Am I harsh? Damn right I am, but I'm also right as I think most people here will agree with me here.

Can't stand the heat? Get out of the kitchen. Don't post about your made up BS style, then act surprised when we don't tell you how great you are. SOme of us have put in decades, bled, sweat and cried to learn these things you read in the comfort of your fat easy chair and so stupidly think you understand.
You call us arrogant?
I think you should look in a mirror.

Bester

Reaction score
I could post all my qualifications and training and achievement and none of it would matter. You would still resort to insultive barbs against me such as "baby talk school", and that is o.k. I don't fear your insults as much as you obviously fear me based on your juvenile and unhonorable need to insult me.
Honor? What "Honor"? I'm not some 17th century Samurai who has to disembowel himself because I failed my lord. I'm a God Damned American!

One who studies a real art, not one I read about in the comics.
I don't think running around in the woods in spandex is "training".
I don't think I can master a technique by reading about it in a book.
I don't fool myself into thinking I'm a great dad because I teach "play arts" to my kids. I enrolled mine in a real school where they can get real instruction from real instructors.

But then again, I'm better than you. Because unlike you, I know the truth, baka!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Quite so.

I can well understand both the ire and the ribaldry, ladies and gents but it should be clear that whilst the OP might have a good command of the language (i.e. English) his experience of the martial arts is not so great. Most particularly when it comes to the koryu.

The fact that dogged persistence against the fell winds of martial reality has brought him some sharp rebuffs is more than partially his own fault for not taking good advice when it was offered.

But, as long as he does not try to commercially pass off his 'art' as genuinely rooted in Ninjitsu and does not attempt to teach it as such to anyone but his sons, then, other than them, who does he hurt?

We can only say the equivalent of "Don't do that, good fellow, it'll only bring you pain" so many times. It is up to the individual involved to weigh up what they are doing and what 'repute' they think it will cause them to be held in by others.

I can assure you, emelio, that if you leave this to lie then, other than the odd post by a passing artist who can't quite believe his eyes, nothing more will be said. You are not going to win anyone to your point of view, so why not let this pass?

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kug - Nonsense Word

Maky - Popular misspelling of Japanese word "Maki", meaning curly, roll or volume.

Ung - Swedish word, "Young"

Ryu - Japanese word. Can mean manner, method or style

Ninjitsu - Non Existent word. Popular Mispelling of the correct word "Ninjutsu" usually used by those with little to no true understanding of Japanese.

So, properly translated we get

"The nonsense young art of curly ninas."

Then again, it's something he uses to play with his kids so maybe it means

"the art of rolling with kids in black pajama's".

Translating is hard. I'm going to the bar for a beer. I suspect this thread will make more sense after a few pints of ale.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What about posting some footage?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a thought...what about checking out the following:

www.winjutsu.com

www.jinenkan.com

www.genbukan.org

Even if it required driving an hour, at least you would be getting quality instruction. Out of the links that I posted, are you telling me that there're no schools in your area?

I haven't really been following this thread so perhaps this next question was already asked, but what is your training background? Have you or are you currently training in a martial art? IMHO, I think it would be much better to train in something legit, than to make something up, with nothing to back it up.

I train in Kenpo, BJJ and Arnis. Sure, during a Kenpo class I may teach a lock from Arnis or a defense from the mount from BJJ. BUT...I make it clear that I am teaching something outside of Kenpo. I make sure that everyone knows it is Arnis or BJJ. I don't try to bluff them into thinking that this lock flow came from Kenpo, when it didn't. And I also don't blend all 3 styles together to call it some made up name.

This is IMHO the #1 problem with the arts today...way too many people out there trying to BS others.

So Emilio....have you given any thought to this post??

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
A made up style with a made up name in a made up language and with a made up connection to something totally sweet to please the kids...

Pretty much the history of every fraud and McDojo in existence.
You might be teaching some good stuff, but trying to be a Ninjer makes you look redicolus. If you are really interested in Ninjutsu get some proper instruction instead of reading a book. For your kids` sake too.. having learned "Ninjitsu" from their father who learned it from a book will get them laughed if they ever join a Dojo.

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
having learned "Ninjitsu" from their father who learned it from a book will get them laughed if they ever join a Dojo.

Especially if they happen to later on stumble into a legitimate Bujinkan (or Genbukan or Jinenkan for that matter) dojo.

Imaginary conversation:

kids: yeah, our dad tought us ninjutsu, can we join directly an advanced class?
instructor: ok, let's see what you can do
instructor: ok, here's the schedule for our beginners' class

Latest Discussions