NOOB in TKD with questions

OP
H

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
p.s. I would drive much further for a better school

My first reaction was to say yes to driving further. We are no longer looking at the link that I posted previously, for reasons I can't go into.

There are 2 other schools in adjacent towns. The problem is that the classes are later in the evening on school nights.

Last edited:

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My wife and I were able to speak to our instructors at length about the gear, and the AFT.

As it turns out they don't care how we get our gear, or where it comes from. They are also amenable to monthly cash payments.

This is good, as we are striking out on schools in our area. The closest schools with good reputations are about 30+ minutes from our house.

I'm not big on the TKD, and I will have to wear a camo belt at some point. However, it beats not doing anything. I am continuing to train with my Hung Gar books and my heavy bag in the basement. It's not the same as having a real Sifu around, but the style suits me.
Glad to hear that you were able to work things out monetarilly with them. The gear situation in particular!

If you stay with that school, my advice is for you and your family to get all that you can from the training that they provide, treating each test as if you will fail if you don't put out the highest effort. In that way, you'll benefit from class and the rest of the class will take notice, and perhaps try to step up to level of the new students.

Unfortunately, students tend to fall to the lowest common denominator, but happily, new students with high standards will often spark the competative drive and bring out the best in those around them.

Best wishes to you! Keep us posted!

Daniel

OP
H

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, we've decided to get our gear. The foam rubber weapons, I think those will be OK for the kids, but I can't bring myself to join in. I don't think they create realistic attitudes toward weaponry. Wood and steel I'm OK with.

I am pretty stoked about sparring again, it's been a few years. I keep myself in pretty good shape with weights and swimming/bicycling. In the evenings we as a family practice our forms and "one-steps". I also have the kids doing a few basic Hung Gar exercises such as siting in horse position (knees at 90 and hips at 90) while they do blocks. The little critters have amazing strength and endurance compared to adults. They can sit there for seemingly ever.

Latest Discussions