Kudo

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It is basically Kyokushin as it was originally conceived except Kudo has added head gear with face shields so that matches go a little longer. You are also allowed to wear gloves and shins, in Kudo.

OP
RagingBull

RagingBull

Green Belt
Reaction score
It is basically Kyokushin as it was originally conceived except Kudo has added head gear with face shields so that matches go a little longer. You are also allowed to wear gloves and shins, in Kudo.
yeah but they have throws too which i find good. Kyokushin is another thing. more stand up knockdown..IMO

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
yeah but they have throws too which i find good. Kyokushin is another thing. more stand up knockdown..IMO
In the beginning Kyokushin also had throws and face punching but that has gone by the wayside in most schools due to the focus on the sport of Knockdown. Ashihara, Enshin and Kudo are examples of offshoots that have kept or brought back the 'roots' of Kyokushin.

OP
RagingBull

RagingBull

Green Belt
Reaction score
In the beginning Kyokushin also had throws and face punching but that has gone by the wayside in most schools due to the focus on the sport of Knockdown. Ashihara, Enshin and Kudo are examples of offshoots that have kept or brought back the 'roots' of Kyokushin.
ok you sound like you know. I like the look of Kudo but i have to admit i did not like the mentality of Kyokushin schools i visited. I actually am a fan of Wado ryu or Goju Ryu.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kudo is quite interesting as the face shields allow punches to the face which makes the game even more interesting. I am not sure which Kyokushin school you visited or where but I would be interested to hear what it is about the 'mentality' of the school was that you didn't like. Schools are only as good as their instructors regardless of the style.

OP
RagingBull

RagingBull

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kudo is quite interesting as the face shields allow punches to the face which makes the game even more interesting. I am not sure which Kyokushin school you visited or where but I would be interested to hear what it is about the 'mentality' of the school was that you didn't like. Schools are only as good as their instructors regardless of the style.
just gave me the feeling that all other forms of karate are weaker. I am all for sparring & a bit of punishment don´t get me wrong.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Haha, well I am not surprised by your comment. I am sure part of it was intended as a little marketing to get prospects to sign up. Who wants to sign up for 'weak' karate ? That being said, Kyokushin is quite physical and requires a fair bit of body conditioning so "a bit of punishment' is only said in the dojo tongue and cheek. If you took a couple of free classes you would see that there is quite a bit more than a 'bit' of punishment.

People new to Kyokushin are often 'eased' into sparring. It takes time for the body to get conditioned to take the shots but it is certainly part of the system so people need to reach a point of decision on whether it is appealing to them or not.

OP
RagingBull

RagingBull

Green Belt
Reaction score
Haha, well I am not surprised by your comment. I am sure part of it was intended as a little marketing to get prospects to sign up. Who wants to sign up for 'weak' karate ? That being said, Kyokushin is quite physical and requires a fair bit of body conditioning so "a bit of punishment' is only said in the dojo tongue and cheek. If you took a couple of free classes you would see that there is quite a bit more than a 'bit' of punishment.

People new to Kyokushin are often 'eased' into sparring. It takes time for the body to get conditioned to take the shots but it is certainly part of the system so people need to reach a point of decision on whether it is appealing to them or not.
yeah i can understand that was a long time ago. I am 55 now. done a few things over the years.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
yeah i can understand that was a long time ago. I am 55 now. done a few things over the years.
It is important to find an instructor and school that will appeal to you and your goals. The work is challenging and the instructor's job is to make it as difficult as you can handle because when it comes to 'sparring' with other people that are not in your school, you will quickly see how ready (or not) you have become.

Age is just a number. 55 is not too old. At least I hope not. That's my age :).

OP
RagingBull

RagingBull

Green Belt
Reaction score
It is important to find an instructor and school that will appeal to you and your goals. The work is challenging and the instructor's job is to make it as difficult as you can handle because when it comes to 'sparring' with other people that are not in your school, you will quickly see how ready (or not) you have become.

Age is just a number. 55 is not too old. At least I hope not. That's my age :).
LOL.... yeah i still keep in shape. can still slap a young punk ;)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
ok you sound like you know. I like the look of Kudo but i have to admit i did not like the mentality of Kyokushin schools i visited. I actually am a fan of Wado ryu or Goju Ryu.

It is partly a concept. So you can find kudo guys who have different games.

You can turn up and grade by essentially just beating everyone in the room up.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Never done it, but I have tons of respect for it.

Latest Discussions