Fearless:World fighting styles and philosophy

Ram

Orange Belt
Reaction score
For those of you who saw the movie Fearless with Jet Li how do you think different cultural fighting mindsets and styles were portrayed in the movie? In the movie they had a British boxer, a German(Belgian) lancer, a Spanish fencer, and a Japanese martial artist(karate during the hand to hand portion) America-Catch as catch can wrestling(which later became Pro-Wrestling). Any other style observations would be great to hear about. I think overall they did a good job matching fighting thought with nationality. I think Wushu(Kung fu) was a little over glamorized, but it was a movie made to promote Chinese Nationalism. As a American I think the Wrestler was a great choice. Public shows of Strength and Power over an adversary are very popular. Look how Football, Pro-wrestling,and MMA are popular here vs Soccer in other countries(of course Rugby is hard core kudos to the Brits for that sport:ultracool ). Any other thoughts or critiques?:mst:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
off topic a little maybe but I have not seen the movie yet so what are your thoughts on it

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
off topic a little maybe but I have not seen the movie yet so what are your thoughts on it

It's a hoofingly good film in my view. It loses a little if you don't actually see it at the cinema, but then I guess a lot of films do. The dvd that I have has no extras which was a dissapointment. :confused:

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I can't wait to see the fight between Jet and the Muay Thai fighter that was cut, but should be in the DVD. I liked the way the other nationalites were given a little chance to shine, but this is a movie about chinese martial arts.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I still haven't seen this movie. I think I'm going to buy the dvd. Wouldn't be wasting my cash??

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I still haven't seen this movie. I think I'm going to buy the dvd. Wouldn't be wasting my cash??

NO! Not at all!

This is one of my FAVORITE movies now... and I've easily watched it 6 or 8 times since getting it in December...

HECK! I watched it TWICE in one day... just last week... while working down in my Garojo! :ultracool

The DVD that I purchased has the theater version... and an un-rated version. Both are great...

BTW, the deleted MT scene is all over YouTube. I'd post it; however, I can't find the version in English...

Well worth the money (IMHO)!

Your Brother in the arts,

Andrew

And, as for the original theme of this thread... YES, I think that they did a GREAT job of matching the arts to the contry of origin...

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
OK, here it is... although not in English...

Basically, the kid gets caught stealing... and the Thai clan, after it's tradition, decides to beat him until the incense burns off...

Li and the rest of "his" group show up...

Jet offers himself in trade for the boy... and basically takes the hits... until "Grandma" gives him some words of wisdom... the rest is pretty self-explanatory...

ENJOY!

Andrew

P.S. This looks to be edited somewhat...as it's shorter than I remember...

[yt]nGdyt1LdRdc[/yt]

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
NO! Not at all!

This is one of my FAVORITE movies now... and I've easily watched it 6 or 8 times since getting it in December...

HECK! I watched it TWICE in one day... just last week... while working down in my Garojo! :ultracool

The DVD that I purchased has the theater version... and an un-rated version. Both are great...

BTW, the deleted MT scene is all over YouTube. I'd post it; however, I can't find the version in English...

Well worth the money (IMHO)!

Andrew

And, as for the original theme of this thread... YES, I think that they did a GREAT job of matching the arts to the contry of origin...
Thanks Andrew, it's settled. I'll pickup a copy toomorrow.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can't wait to see the fight between Jet and the Muay Thai fighter that was cut, but should be in the DVD. I liked the way the other nationalites were given a little chance to shine, but this is a movie about chinese martial arts.

Surprised me that it was cut (from the movie shown in theatres), but I guess the scene to see a crying child being beaten might be a little harsh for US society to handle.

- Ceicei

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, It had some great fights. It was an enjoyble movie to watch. Fearless is worth watching. Jet Li is a very good actor.

The philosophy has several directions and point they where trying to say...a very good feeling movie. ........Aloha

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I watched it yesterday. I thought it was very good. The dvd I bought has an unrated version and the theatrical version. I wonder how they differed? I watched the unrated version.

The scene where Jet is fighting in the rain while holding his umbrella over his head was funny. Havent we all been in that situation at least once? LOL.

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
To be honest I didn't really like the movie, nor the fights in it. I don't really demand that a movie be a 100% realistic, that would kinda miss the point of entertainment, but I prefer stuff thats at least physically possible.
As for philosophy, I'm not really a fan of the way its portrayed in martial arts, I just tend to find it kinda shallow.
But each to their own.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think that Fearless looks too heavily into the philosophy of martial arts, especially those for parts other than China. What it is is the first half of a very famous incident and story in China that inspired films like Fists of Fury (you know, Bruce Lee) and Fist of Legend (another Jet Li ripper).

It may be a film appealing to Chinese nationalism but I'm not sure. Jet certainly doesn't have a problem making films like that (Fist of Legend, Bodyguard From Beijing). What he has done is complete the whole story of this martial arts disgrace, the poisoning of Hua Yuanjia, and shown why the Chinese were so outraged by it at the time.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the past I have been known to be overly critical of movies (but never a Columbia Pictures film, lol). What I try to do now is just enjoy a movie for what it is. I could critique 'Fearless' to death but instead I will say that it was a good movie and I didn't waste my time or money.

Latest Discussions