Really need experienced advise

OP
A

Alshak

White Belt
Reaction score
You can find all the joint locks and punches in each system how ever each arts concepts may differ. Taijiquan will take time to learn applications, Xingyiquan faster to learn applications and you may like it. I perfer boxing over Xingyiquan. If you are looking to deal with a bigger opponent you may want to look at judo and escrima. As yesterday I had to deal with a guy on drugs and paranoid and all I could think was take him down and choke because my punches and knife may not do much but a choke may be my best option.

Exactly, to choke and control would be a better option then punching and kicking. That's what I am looking for. A system then can make me control people no matter what size they are but at the same time it has striking system added to it. That's why hybrid between 2 systems was in my mind.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well I learned choking on bjj and escrima and some in daito ryu. I didn't learn them in Chinese arts however, many things I do for sure set up for a choke, and take downs in Chinese internal arts if you look at it from that perspective even knife defense.
In my opinion, the art is guided by a set of concepts and principles, what we do with them in different ranges and against different obstacles is up to us.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First of all, I would like to say congrats and that information gave me a great push ahead. I will actually take that advise and try a couple of classes of all and see what would be more suitable for me. Btw, May i know what do you trian mostly and what did you like out of your experience?

I mostly train American Karate. But it really doesn't matter. Everyone here on MT is quite capable of defeating a larger opponent, and we are all as likely to be defeated by a smaller one. And we all train different arts or different combos of arts. Even those of us who train the same thing in name, do it differently. Martial Arts is odd that way.

Because you have experience with boxing, you might want to try some BJJ. It would be relatively easy to get your hands skills back on your own. I've always found the two to compliment each other quite nicely. And please keep in mind - being smaller than the other guy has advantages, too. Lots of them.

I envy your situation. You're going to go have some fun. Please keep us posted, bro.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I strongly recommend only going with one to beging with. Later when you become more experienced with that one you can then cross train.

OP
A

Alshak

White Belt
Reaction score
I mostly train American Karate. But it really doesn't matter. Everyone here on MT is quite capable of defeating a larger opponent, and we are all as likely to be defeated by a smaller one. And we all train different arts or different combos of arts. Even those of us who train the same thing in name, do it differently. Martial Arts is odd that way.

Because you have experience with boxing, you might want to try some BJJ. It would be relatively easy to get your hands skills back on your own. I've always found the two to compliment each other quite nicely. And please keep in mind - being smaller than the other guy has advantages, too. Lots of them.

I envy your situation. You're going to go have some fun. Please keep us posted, bro.

Thank you bro. I believe I'll be going for Escrima for now to try it out. We'll see how it goes

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you bro. I believe I'll be going for Escrima for now to try it out. We'll see how it goes

It seems you've tried it or have a certain experience with it

The dojo I am a part of is Kenpo karate with some Judo and Escrima. It really is a difficult mix because it feels like a lot of info at the same time. However it is still very rewarding and the three compliment each other very well.

Kenpo is what a call a solid foundation style. It emphasises on mostly blocking and countering and has lots of manipulating your enemies momentum and body using their weight and exerted force against them.

The strikes and comboniations in kenpo are also very simple, but simple is what tends to work in a self defense situation.

Judo is great for when things get very close, too close to strike effectively as well as counter grapples. It also has many quick and clean break techniques that can end someone quickly. I feel this is harder for me to learn though because there are so many steps and positioning concepts to remember.

Now the way escrima fits into all of this is the joint locking and manipulation of your opponent through grappling their arms, fingers and neck and getting them into holds where you can easily break them if need be. Escrima also teaches good center line principles. I feel the escrima goes well with kenpo because the two are already similiar in their concept of being a more counter attack style.