Krav Maga Kuckle Protection

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks again. JowGaWolf useful information, but with my old injury (boxers fracture on my ring finger) will I be able to condition to be able to go bare knuckle? Have you seen students with similar hand injuries be able to recondition their hand to handle the stress. The last thing I want to do is damage my hand more, due to not protecting this old injury. (Does anyone have experience with this?)

If I can't that's fine I'm getting into Krav for staying in shape, and to have some training in self-defense for an unexpected real world scenario (hopefully that never happens) not to enter competitions or not to hit the heavy bag bare knuckle necessarily.

Either way, it's good to know that if I am using extra padding and gloves constantly, that I shouldn't ever start wailing away on the heavy bag without them on. Thanks

I had a boxers fracture of my left 4th metacarpal. The proximal 1/3 was snapped off at an angle. The distal 2/3 was split lengthwise. I was sparring three students at once and screwed up a block vs a front kick.
I have no problems at all going full force without protection.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just giving a different perspective on someone who does fist and wrist conditioning drills by punching into the soil while doing push ups in the grass among other things that one would probably not find in a boxing or mma gym.

You were mansplaining. I said that if you had correct technique, used it and practised it, it didn't mean you stopped using that correct technique just because you put wraps on. What has that got to do with drills that you assume wouldn't be used anywhere else? I didn't say you must wear wraps, I didn't say you shouldn't. I just said that wearing wraps doesn't preclude using correct technique if you use correct technique anyway.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had a boxers fracture of my left 4th metacarpal. The proximal 1/3 was snapped off at an angle. The distal 2/3 was split lengthwise. I was sparring three students at once and screwed up a block vs a front kick.
I have no problems at all going full force without protection.

Should have conditioned your hands.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I studied TKD we were taught to hit with the first two knuckles, with the first and middle finger metacarpals aligned with wrist bones, both horizontally and vertically. We expected more protection from focus that toughening, but did some of that too.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i think he means vertical fist. wouldn't recommend it because with that often the ring finger knuckle hits first
Worked pretty well for bare knuckle boxers for a few centuries or so. I'd say that the historic evidence disagrees.

(because of the slightly circular movement) instead of the middle finger which should be mainly hitting.
Circular movement? I don't think you know how the old bare knuckle boxers actually punched. Straight Lead or Lead-off and Rear Straight.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fairly certain it's hitting vertically with the bottom 3 knuckles, rather then the top two. I've got the same concern as MAfreak, especially since your instructor probably doesn't know how to punch in that way (few people do punch like that now)
It's not particularly hard.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have. For longer than you've been alive, possibly. Conditioning is not invulnerability...
I think drop bear's comment was a joke based on JowGaWolf's assertion that proper conditioning will serve to avoid broken hands. I believe drop bear knows very well that anybody can suffer a broken hand if a punch lands the wrong way.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Worked pretty well for bare knuckle boxers for a few centuries or so. I'd say that the historic evidence disagrees.

Circular movement? I don't think you know how the old bare knuckle boxers actually punched. Straight Lead or Lead-off and Rear Straight.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Modern bare knuckle boxers don't seem to bother.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think drop bear's comment was a joke based on JowGaWolf's assertion that proper conditioning will serve to avoid broken hands. I believe drop bear knows very well that anybody can suffer a broken hand if a punch lands the wrong way.

Yeah I know this guy who conditioned his hands and still broke them karate sparring.

Dirty dog has pulled the same argument out from time to time as well.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not particularly hard.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Not suggesting it's tough. Just that if he doesn't punch correctly, especially with already having a fracture that's bothering him, it could backfire.
The comment about the instructor wasn't that the instructor wouldn't be able to figure it out, simply that if he were to go to him and ask how to punch with a vertical fist, he would likely show him differently.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is that good heart because the guy walked away or good heart because the guy kept getting back up, or did I miss the point?

Good heart because he kept getting up. The point was there isn't that much in the way of pistol grip punching in any modern bare knuckle I have seen.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good heart because he kept getting up. The point was there isn't that much in the way of pistol grip punching in any modern bare knuckle I have seen.
What is the common fist formation for modern bare knuckle fighters?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What is the common fist formation for modern bare knuckle fighters?

Looks like basic boxing. There may be some subtle differences. Like less overhands. But I can't see the similarities to this kind of thing.

images

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Mmm I don't think I need a lecture thank you on wrapping hands, punching etc. especially for professional boxing and MMA. I merely pointed out that one can use correct technique whilst wearing wraps. Wearing wraps doesn't mean it automatically becomes bad technique. I am more than aware when one should wrap and when one shouldn't, I've been coaching pro fighters a long time now so please don't patronise me. :cool:
Tez, I took the response as not being directed at you, but as being directed at the group at large. I saw it as using your post as context, and as supplementing your post.

Latest Discussions