Krav Maga vs. CMA

RagingBull

Green Belt
Reaction score
all i know is there is the Military version & there is the Civilian watered down version(s) of Krav maga. Saw a group in my area being run by a little spotty kid telling people how to fight against a knife attack. I left laughing.
Look for the Military system run by someone who knows. ex Seal or whatever.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
This, to me, looks like the worst kind of sparring. Padding and taps at the same time. They stopped when any kind of contact was made, and none of the strikes looked capable of delivering power.

I've trained a decent amount of Krav Maga, and this was a lot of what it was at the higher levels. I was allowed to train up to Level 4. It's basically, MMA Lite.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
all i know is there is the Military version & there is the Civilian watered down version(s) of Krav maga. Saw a group in my area being run by a little spotty kid telling people how to fight against a knife attack. I left laughing.
Look for the Military system run by someone who knows. ex Seal or whatever.

The Civilian version is usually better for unarmed self defense. Someone at the Level 2 at a Krav gym will usually be a better H2H fighter than the average soldier, IDF, etc. Level 3+, then much better than soldiers. Training at Level 3+ is also a lot rougher than what soldiers go through also. Yes, it's hard to believe.

Just like MCMAP, CQB, etc. they're all just MMA Lite with weapons training.

Last edited:

RagingBull

Green Belt
Reaction score
The Civilian version is usually better for unarmed self defense. Someone at the Level 2 at a Krav gym will usually be a better H2H fighter than the average soldier, IDF, etc. Level 3+, then much better than soldiers. Training at Level 3+ is also a lot rougher than what soldiers go through also. Yes, it's hard to believe.

Just like MCMAP, CQB, etc. they're all just MMA Lite with weapons training.
Hmmm.... :rolleyes:
Ok i will stay polite here.

Last edited:

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm.... :rolleyes:
Ok i will stay polite here.

LOL, go ahead, give me your best shot.

I've trained Krav at the higher levels. And I've trained with many soldiers, Marines, Rangers, etc. at MMA gyms. If they've only had their military training at about 1 year, then that's around a White belt.

RagingBull

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just a reminder. As per section 4.2.6 of the TOS all users are required to agree to when creating an account, challenge posts will result in an immediate ban with no recourse.
LOL, go ahead, give me your best shot.

I've trained Krav at the higher levels. And I've trained with many soldiers, Marines, Rangers, etc. at MMA gyms. If they've only had their military training at about 1 year, then that's around a White belt.
leave it I do not want to go into some things on here.
you think you know. I highly doubt a Ranger has done 1 year from basic training. I do not know that much about your military but i do know by us you have to do at least 2 years before anyone respects or accepts you.
Longer if going for special forces. so really my answer is you are a Troll.
as far as a challange goes send me a ticket, pay for my room and i will fight you no problem.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Krav Maga is pretty much, MMA Lite w/weapons training. It's pretty good, just a lower level form of training compared to full MMA. Although the camou getup and boots on the mats is unnecessary.
Naw. The way they train (at least the Krav I've seen/experienced) is nothing like MMA. It's more similar to traditional martial arts, in that it's a lot of 'attack me this way but slowly then I will do this this and this' type of thing.

Although I have heard rumors of Krav schools that train with MMA style resistance and sparring, I've never actually seen it.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
leave it I do not want to go into some things on here.
you think you know. I highly doubt a Ranger has done 1 year from basic training. I do not know that much about your military but i do know by us you have to do at least 2 years before anyone respects or accepts you.
Longer if going for special forces. so really my answer is you are a Troll.
as far as a challange goes send me a ticket, pay for my room and i will fight you no problem.

Calm down, I didn't challenge you to a fight. "Give me your best shot" was just a saying and in response to you saying, "Ok i will stay polite here". But if not, and you want a fight, then why do I have to pay for all of that?

And you lied about being polite with your name calling and being so easily triggered over nothing.

And I meant the average soldier with 1 year of training and not necessarily a Ranger. There's a kid who lives 4 houses up from mine that's a Ranger whom I've known since grade school. I can beat him with 1 hand and he knows it.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
Naw. The way they train (at least the Krav I've seen/experienced) is nothing like MMA. It's more similar to traditional martial arts, in that it's a lot of 'attack me this way but slowly then I will do this this and this' type of thing.

Although I have heard rumors of Krav schools that train with MMA style resistance and sparring, I've never actually seen it.

It depends on the Federation of Krav, there's a bunch of them. The biggest one is Worldwide (I think), I trained there and it was pretty good. But the best one IMO is Krav Maga Alliance, which is a spinoff of Worldwide. In order to earn a Black belt, 1 of the req. was to fight in an MMA, Muay Thai or KB type fight with timed rounds, not stop & go light contact.

The main Instructor of an Alliance gym who let me train there was a legit fighter who lost by decision to one of my gym's low level Pro MMA fighter in a Muay Thai fight. He got destroyed & lost by decision; but didn't go down even once.

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score
There are so much similarity between Krav Maga and CMA such as:

- Wheeling step - move out of your opponent's attacking path.
- Face cover, chin push, forehead wiping.
- Downward parry - open your opponent's guard and punch back.
- Deflect and punch.
- Arm guiding.
- Leading arm jam back arm.
- Enter through the side door.

It's almost the same as the way I teach my CMA class. It further proves that the combat art should not have any style boundary.

Your thought?

I've been teaching my version of American Kenpo for fifty years and still going strong. Krav Maga doesn't work for me. I'm 5'2", slim with small bone frame. I always get out of his power path and then defend. I utilize lines and circles. It must work, I've had 8 attacks in my life and they were all over within the first move. Kenpo really does not have any style boundaries. Kenpo is made up of a hard straight style and several Kung Fu styles. Not only is it very good for defense, but it does over the years, keep your body limber.
Yours in martial arts,
Rob Mc Dowell
Sifu
Puyallup, WA

Latest Discussions