Wrapping your hands

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So in kickboxing most of the guys wrap their hands. I've never bothered I just don't see the point it's time consuming and I just find it pointless I get it's to protect your hands but I mean you've got big boxing gloves on what more do you need I get it for mma since the gloves are smaller but for boxing and kicboxing I just don't see the point.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
When wearing gloves, wrapping is primarily for the wrists and not the hands. It holds the wrist straight and allows you to strike harder without the risk of damage.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When wearing gloves, wrapping is primarily for the wrists and not the hands. It holds the wrist straight and allows you to strike harder without the risk of damage.
To me I'd rather learn how to throw a proper punch without using wraps to stop my bad techique hurting me

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It is part of the ritual... :) Like putting the right shorts or Gi.

I saw recently in 2 different schools people spending long time with it (due to little experience). Then, all the class(es) was nothing to do with punching. One of the guys spent 10 min putting it and took it off after 2 min training. :D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me I'd rather learn how to throw a proper punch without using wraps to stop my bad techique hurting me

So, you know better than generations of Muay Thai fighters and kickboxers who know exactly why they wrap their hands?
How to Wrap Your Hands

"The handwrap’s purpose is to protect a boxer’s most important weapon, his hands! The hands are made up of many small joints and small bones that could easily fracture from the impact of repeated punches. Handwraps are there to hold your hand together providing support for your wrists, fingers, knuckles, and the entire hand itself.

Many people incorrectly think handwraps are for extra cushion or protection for your knuckles.

The handwrap’s purpose is NOT to cushion the impact; that’s what the boxing gloves are for.

The handwraps are there to secure all your loose joints and moveable bones. The handwrap fastens all your joints together so the shock is better distributed across your entire hand. You don’t want your joints to be moving freely and independently when the hand strikes an object. You can suffer a fracture if joints are moving in their own direction."

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So, you know better than generations of Muay Thai fighters and kickboxers who know exactly why they wrap their hands?
How to Wrap Your Hands

"The handwrap’s purpose is to protect a boxer’s most important weapon, his hands! The hands are made up of many small joints and small bones that could easily fracture from the impact of repeated punches. Handwraps are there to hold your hand together providing support for your wrists, fingers, knuckles, and the entire hand itself.

Many people incorrectly think handwraps are for extra cushion or protection for your knuckles.

The handwrap’s purpose is NOT to cushion the impact; that’s what the boxing gloves are for.

The handwraps are there to secure all your loose joints and moveable bones. The handwrap fastens all your joints together so the shock is better distributed across your entire hand. You don’t want your joints to be moving freely and independently when the hand strikes an object. You can suffer a fracture if joints are moving in their own direction."
Well I've been training for about 8 years and the only time I've worn wraps are for actual fights all the pad work and sparring I've done and I've never hurt my hand once

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It is part of the ritual... :) Like putting the right shorts or Gi.

I saw recently in 2 different schools people spending long time with it (due to little experience). Then, all the class(es) was nothing to do with punching. One of the guys spent 10 min putting it and took it off after 2 min training. :D

Tell me about it I turned up to training once half an hour early because my lift had to go and do stuff and I get there this guys wrapping his hands half an hour later he's still wrapping his damm hands and misses the first 10 minutes of the warm up

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The damage you can do is cumulative. I found hitting pads was not an issue bare knuckle and trained it a bit when I was younger.

But I wasn't doing 12 rounds of heavy bag or heavy contact. Spar hard and eventually you will bonk a guy in the forehead or elbow or hip. And you will start taking damage. Too much and you can have issues.

Sagittal tear.

Some of our guys go the extra mile and wrap sponges to their knuckles.

It is like headgear or groin guards. Some wear them some don't. Up to you.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well I've been training for about 8 years and the only time I've worn wraps are for actual fights all the pad work and sparring I've done and I've never hurt my hand once
I wish I could say the same thing, I've hurt my wrist many times but it wasn't serious. The pain was a learning tool for me. Pain either tells me that I'm punching too hard for my current conditioning or that I'm punching with incorrect technique.

The 2 times were I was seriously hurt was when I broke the tip of my finger and no amount of wrap could have prevented that. Part of me would like to have my hand wrapped but I'm old school with my training so the other part of me sees that as being lazy. I do a lot of conditioning to help improve the durability of my fist and all elements involved. I've never used wrist or knuckle wraps before so my punching technique has to be good and my conditioning has to be excellent.

If I was doing Muay Thai then I would want my hand to be wrapped because I know knuckles vs elbows is always an unfair match.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

How do you know you haven't hurt them, no pain at the moment but wait until you are older and arthritis sets in. The bones moving won't necessarily hurt at the time but the damage you've done already will be apparent later on.
People haven't used wrapped all this time just for the sake of 'ritual' or habit, that's nonsense. they wouldn't buy and use them just because it's just something you do, the Thais have a particular way of wrapping we use. It is impressed on our fighters when they go out to Thailand to train that they must wrap their hands.
Wrapping takes a couple of minutes, if it takes longer you are doing it wrong....or want to miss the warm up.
Just because you don't do something doesn't make it useless or not of benefit.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Stress damage happens over time. And hands are not really designed all that well for striking with a fist.

Wraps are a piece of safety equipment, like your cup and mouthguard. Not many people say I'd rather learn to take a punch to the face properly without one as I won't have one in real life, or a I'd rather learn to take a kick to the nuts unprotected.

Hand wraps are going to let you through more punches, harder and for longer while doing less damage. Learn to throw a punch with good form and guess what? They will still let you throw more punches for longer and with more power.

In addition to protecting your hands they are also going to make your gloves live longer. They absorb a good chunk of the sweat, are easier to clean then gloves and as a result your gloves aren't going to get stinky as fast and you got less chance of getting a skin infection out of your own gloves.

Latest Discussions