Korean Masters from the 1960's and 1970's

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am a 5th dan black belt in Moo Duk Kwan Tae Kwon Do, and I have been training under Kwan Jang Sok Ho Kang (Charleston, WV) since 1985. As a child I remember various Korean Masters coming to our test to grade us. Kyong Won Ahn (Moo Duk Kwan, Cincinatti, OH), Il Joo Kim (Song Moo Kwan, Akron, OH), Sang Oh Moon (Song Moo Kwan, Cleveland, OH), Chong Woong Kim (Moo Duk Kwan, Huntington, WV), Ki Whang Kim (Moo Duk Kwan, Washington, D.C.), Soon Ho Kim (Chung Do Kwan, Canton, OH).

I also remember those masters along with many others coming to our tournament (U.S. Open Martial Arts Championship), including Henry S. Cho (New York), Young Bo Kong and Young Il Kong (Oh Do Kwan, Philadelphia, PA), Chun Sik Kim (Moo Duk Kwan, Pittsburgh, PA), Joon Pyo Choi (Song Moo Kwan, Columbus, OH), Young Pyo Choi (Song Moo Kwan, Indianapolis, IN), and I am sure I am leaving some out.. . I know over the years, politics and egos must have came to conflict, and we slowly began to withdraw from these inter-relations. I know some have passed away and some have retired, but I can vividly remember seeing these figures and traveling to their tournaments as a child/teenager.

I am curious if anyone on here has ever trained/heard of these pioneers of traditional taekwondo of the east coast, and if so if they know what has become of their schools.

충성!

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I trained in one of CS Kim's affiliated dojangs for half a year. He would pop in pretty regularly and I even attended a couple of seminars where he was instructor. I believe his group is still going strong. He runs a tang soo do federation that reaches all over the US and even has a few international affiliates.

OP
SahBumNimRush

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, C.S. Kim still has a strong school, we still go to his tournament in Pittsburgh, and he sends students to ours.. . Unfortunately, C.S. Kim and C.W. Kim (Huntington, WV) are the only ones I see around anymore, and I know the Young Brothers still send students to our tournament as well. I know Kyong Won Ahn is now retired, and Ki Whang Kim passed away in 1992 I believe.

C.S. Kim heads up the International Tang Soo Do Federation.

Master K

Green Belt
Reaction score
My instructor knows most if not all of the people you have mentioned.

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I trained under Ki Whang Kim and after he had passed away many of the senior black blets went their own way. GM Kim passed the school down to James Roberts Jr. His students still travel and compete in tournamets every now and then but not like the way GM Kim had ppl competing back in the day.

Alot of black belts didnt agree with GM Kim giving to school to Master Roberts Jr and no longer associate with him and the dojo today.
Albert Cheeks and some other senior black belts started the Ki Whang Kim Traditional Martial Arts Association to pull ppl back together and get back to traditional teaching and training.

OP
SahBumNimRush

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I trained under Ki Whang Kim and after he had passed away many of the senior black blets went their own way. GM Kim passed the school down to James Roberts Jr. His students still travel and compete in tournamets every now and then but not like the way GM Kim had ppl competing back in the day.

Alot of black belts didnt agree with GM Kim giving to school to Master Roberts Jr and no longer associate with him and the dojo today.
Albert Cheeks and some other senior black belts started the Ki Whang Kim Traditional Martial Arts Association to pull ppl back together and get back to traditional teaching and training.

Yes, I remember hearing about all of that.. . Kind of sad, but it happens all too often, when a KJN passes away. I wasn't sure if Cheeks or Warren still had a school. Master Critzos, still comes around. He's the instructor at the Naval Academy.

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
LOL!
Yeah Master Critzos, thats my man. He was one of the main ones that didnt get along with Master Roberts Jr. Critzos use to crack me up.
Yeah Im glad that he's still teaching.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to meet and watch Henry Cho about 1965 or so when he was traveling with the Wide World of Sports. He came to Washington, DC, and Jhoon Goo Rhee provided some of us students, mainly for forms as I recall. Jhoon Goo Rhee also did some of his signature kicks, as did Henry Cho. As much as I admired and respected Mr. Rhee, Henry Cho seemed faster.

Have no idea who any of the others are. I don't know if Henry Cho is still alive, but I think Jhoon Goo Rhee is.

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to meet and watch Henry Cho about 1965 or so when he was traveling with the Wide World of Sports. He came to Washington, DC, and Jhoon Goo Rhee provided some of us students, mainly for forms as I recall. Jhoon Goo Rhee also did some of his signature kicks, as did Henry Cho. As much as I admired and respected Mr. Rhee, Henry Cho seemed faster.

Have no idea who any of the others are. I don't know if Henry Cho is still alive, but I think Jhoon Goo Rhee is.

Yeah Master Cho is still alive.
He still has his tournament up in NY every year.

tai-strick

White Belt
Reaction score
I am a 5th dan black belt in Moo Duk Kwan Tae Kwon Do, and I have been training under Kwan Jang Sok Ho Kang (Charleston, WV) since 1985. As a child I remember various Korean Masters coming to our test to grade us. Kyong Won Ahn (Moo Duk Kwan, Cincinatti, OH), Il Joo Kim (Song Moo Kwan, Akron, OH), Sang Oh Moon (Song Moo Kwan, Cleveland, OH), Chong Woong Kim (Moo Duk Kwan, Huntington, WV), Ki Whang Kim (Moo Duk Kwan, Washington, D.C.), Soon Ho Kim (Chung Do Kwan, Canton, OH).

I also remember those masters along with many others coming to our tournament (U.S. Open Martial Arts Championship), including Henry S. Cho (New York), Young Bo Kong and Young Il Kong (Oh Do Kwan, Philadelphia, PA), Chun Sik Kim (Moo Duk Kwan, Pittsburgh, PA), Joon Pyo Choi (Song Moo Kwan, Columbus, OH), Young Pyo Choi (Song Moo Kwan, Indianapolis, IN), and I am sure I am leaving some out.. . I know over the years, politics and egos must have came to conflict, and we slowly began to withdraw from these inter-relations. I know some have passed away and some have retired, but I can vividly remember seeing these figures and traveling to their tournaments as a child/teenager.

I am curious if anyone on here has ever trained/heard of these pioneers of traditional taekwondo of the east coast, and if so if they know what has become of their schools.

충성!
Hi there, my name is Bernard Strickland, and I,m from Cleveland,Ohio. And back in the days, when I was training in (sang moo kwans) my teacher was master Paul g. Levette Jr. Who was a fifth Dan. We use to go to Cleveland state unvit. To work out with master sang oh moon. He would come to glenville y.m.c.a. to watch over our class,s. This was the good olds days. If any one knows where I can find my teacher Mr. Paul g. Levtte Jr. Of Cleveland, Ohio ??

tai-strick

White Belt
Reaction score

충성!
My name is Bernard(Scorpio) from b,ham,Alabama. I grow up in Cleveland,Ohio in the sixthy & seventy. Back then I was a 2th.Dan black belt, in sang moo kwans, my teacher back then was Mr. Paul g. Levette Jr. One time at the glenville y.m.c.a. on 113 st. On st.clair. master sang oh moon came to our classes and was holding belt, test. Master moon also was teaching at Cleveland state unvi. In Cleve. Master moon was very good in all thing that he done on the floor and off the floor. I will never forget, he was a master of the art, of sang moo means. Thank you so much. Sifu Bernard(Scorpio) Strickland. 7 the.degree red belt (sr.prof.)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The one I remember the most from that time period is master J Park (Jung Hwan Park). One of the most sincere, wonderful people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. Fricken scary, too. Man, could that guy move. He was based in New York back then, but I believe he relocated to Florida.

I get all pumped just thinking about the way he worked out with his students.

tai-strick

White Belt
Reaction score

충성!
hi there, my name is Bernard(scorpio) and I grow up in Cleve.Ohio, in the 6o-70, when I was training in song moo kwans at glenville, y.m.c.a.under john beaver & Paul g.levtte Jr. sometime g.m.song oh moon would stop by and train the whole class he was a good a teacher back then.

OP
SahBumNimRush

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
GM Moon used to sit at the examiners table at our promotion tests from time to time in the 1980's. I have great respect for GM Song Oh Moon. The other two gentlemen's names sound familiar to me, but I was just a kid when we traveled those competition circuits.

Glenn Babicky

White Belt
Reaction score

충성!
Mr. Rush, My name is Glenn Babicky Sr. I started in Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do in Baltimore, Md. in 1967. My green belt test was under GM Ki Whang Kim. I attended the 1968 Jhoon Rhee Championships in 1968. Saw some of the greatest American fighters ever. Joe Lewis won the championship. Bruce Lee did a demo... In 1969 I shifted to TKD under Young Il Kong. He was phenomenal. He was highly, highly respected by all the other Korean masters. My first degree blackbelt test was under GM Dong Yang of Howard University. At Jhoon Rhee's inner school tournament I was on GM Kong's Baltimore team, opposing GM Rhee's DC team. I got to fight Mr. Jeff Smith who later went on to international fame. I fought in Henry Cho's Madison Square Garden tournament, but I don't remember the year. Pat Whorley and Jeff Smith were in my division. They were the greatest times of my life. I was also able to get General Choi to autograph my copy of his book. TKD. (Before he passed.). My life in TKD has been a great Treasure. Sincerely

OP
SahBumNimRush

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Glenn, it sounds like you were very fortunate to have trained with such greats in TKD! I still compete with the Young Brothers. After GM Ki Whang Kim's passing, we quit going to his tournament, although we still see Master Critzos and his naval cadets at our association's tournament.

Man, to have had to opportunity to spar folks like Jeff Smith and Pat Whorley. Thanks for post!

Latest Discussions