Kind of a weird question

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rather than consider "deadly weapons", you're better off considering "lethal force." Empty hands, ropes, pillows... lots of things CAN become lethal force depending on the circumstances, because "lethal force" is commonly defined as force that is likely to cause serious bodily injury or death. To justify the use of lethal force, you (or a person you are protecting) have to be able to say that you were in imminent danger of receiving a serious bodily injury or being killed.

Whether the force you choose to employ will be considered lethal force will depend on the totality of the circumstances, includiing your intent and how likely a particular technique would be to cause such injury. Beyond that -- there are issues about charges of simple assault versus aggravated assault or malicious wounding. These basically depend on the seriousness of the injury likely to occur by the attack; empty hands are typically simple assault, but if they cause bleeding or cuts that will scar, or cause other significant injuries (brain trauma, broken bones, etc.), more serious charges of aggravated assault or malicious wounding are likely.

And, of course, I am not a lawyer, nor should anything I've written be taken as legal guidance.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, It is best to be HUMBLE and KIND. Be a cat/ kitten to the terrible people out there.

BUT: become the tiger if attack!

Hand and feet:NO state does this register of. (nonsense)

BUT: Your training can be use against you in a court of law! We are know there are different levels of black belts (not talking about ranks,1st,2nd, etc)

Take First degrees...some will be weak,poor tectniques...other extremely fast and powerful. Yet they all carry the title of a Black belt.

Learn and understand your own state laws regarding being attack and self-defense situtions...study past cases in your state...read books in this area!

and with good behavior...most likely will be let out early.........My wife lets me out sometime too? .......Aloha (Not today)

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've heard stories of the method that you use to defend yourself being called into question as well. For example, if you stangle someone, you will be tried differently in a court of law than if you shoot someone. Basically because to shoot someone, it takes a split second and no training. To strangle someone to death or to severe injury....first takes TIME, second, to do it right is not too easy. Especially with them fighting back.

I don't know if this is true either, but also something to think about.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok I have posed the questions about MA'ists being held more responsible for their actions when it comes to physical altercations because of the training we all have. This is along those same lines but...i dont know...here goes

I have heard a couple times that upon recieving a certain rank in any formal martial arts training that you have to register yourself because it is seen that your hands can be considered a weapon. Know at first hearing this I wanted to laugh but as I got to thinking about it I wondered. Since I couldnt explain it myself I thought I would bring it up here on MT since I have gathered so much information from this site already.

My question: Is there any truth in this? If so, how can this be possible? Doesnt it seem like that would violating some right? If no, does anyone have a guess of where this kind of thing came from?

Thanks as always

B

I ran across on article about this on a website called www.fightingarts.com. Check it out, it's a good site. Anyways the author explained the whole thing.
1, There is no such law that says when you attain a certain rank in a Martial Art (or become a Pro Fighter) you have to register yourself as a weapon. It's a load of crap.
2, This believe cam about because there was a Pro Boxer for awhile that would rush down to the local police station the day he arrived in a new town for a fight. He would jokingly (and with the press watching) register himself as a dnagerous weapon. It was an initidamation ploy. He was trying to mentally break his opponent down by making him thnk that he was THAT dangerous.

Check out the for more. You can do a search and it explains all that. Black Belt is on the second of a three part enstalment on whether our training makes us more danergous though. Meaning suspect A, a Black Belt in Kyukoshin-Kai, kills someone in what is nearly self defense, but gets charged with 1st degree assualt as apossed to 2nd, because he is that tough.

I doubt if either are really that true though. There are, after all, many sport guys out there that couldn't fight there way out of a wet paper bag. Makes it hard to define were the living weapon begins, and the idiot begins.

ares

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You don't need to register as a weapon. But as a martial artists, you should do only what you should to get out of that particular situation. Of course, each situation will be different and the course of action will vary, but you can't do a death blow if the guy is trying to steal your wallet.

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
I wonder why the police looked at me funnily when I went in and asked forthe form to register myself. :p

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have heard, however, that if a prosecutor can prove you are a skilled martial artists, i.e. certified as a black belt or higher, that he/she could indeed prosecute you for "assault with a deadly weapon" even if you were empty handed (unlike an untrained person who generally needs at least a stick or stone in his hand to be charged with the same offense).

It seems to make sense and is something to think about.

Can anybody verify this?

That is very very true.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have heard, however, that if a prosecutor can prove you are a skilled martial artists, i.e. certified as a black belt or higher, that he/she could indeed prosecute you for "assault with a deadly weapon" even if you were empty handed (unlike an untrained person who generally needs at least a stick or stone in his hand to be charged with the same offense).

It seems to make sense and is something to think about.

Can anybody verify this?

This is very true (only speaking for CA). Another thing to think about if an incident occurs. Do not voluteer any information or use special terminology. It was a fight, not a match. Avoid words that will tip them off that you are trained, words such as: mounted; palm strike; right cross; back kick; sweep; etc. You simply hit them, or kicked them, then fell to the ground.

Just my opinion, but I had a friend who's son got 90-days in juvenile hall for saying he dropped the guy then mounted him. The term 'mounted' signified that the other person was defenseless and there then was another problem. He was beating on a defenseless person.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Drowning Pool, 1975.

Paul Newman is in the Deep South, a California detective. he's surrounded by local tough guys who intend to give him a beating. He tries to intimidate them: "my hands are registered as deadly weapons in the state of California" he says. Then they beat the crap out of him.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My dad was in the Army during Vietnam and he had a buddy that was a golden gloves boxer and Judo black belt, & when guys would get mad about my dad hustling them at pool & want to fight them, the guy pulled out a Release of Liability form for them to sign so that neither they nor their family would sue over the results of the fight. My dad said it got them out of around 20 fights.
Back in the day when people didn't know anything about martial arts & people actually believed Captain Kirk's Judo Chops & Spocks Vulcan Nerve Pinches, things like this worked. But of course, kickboxing and karate was full contact back then. Martial Artists back then were alot more scrappy.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Back in the day when people didn't know anything about martial arts & people actually believed Captain Kirk's Judo Chops & Spocks Vulcan Nerve Pinches, things like this worked.

You mean the Vulcan Death Grip doesn't work! Man, I was counting on that one too.
icon10.gif