Kind of a weird question

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok I have posed the questions about MA'ists being held more responsible for their actions when it comes to physical altercations because of the training we all have. This is along those same lines but...i dont know...here goes

I have heard a couple times that upon recieving a certain rank in any formal martial arts training that you have to register yourself because it is seen that your hands can be considered a weapon. Know at first hearing this I wanted to laugh but as I got to thinking about it I wondered. Since I couldnt explain it myself I thought I would bring it up here on MT since I have gathered so much information from this site already.

My question: Is there any truth in this? If so, how can this be possible? Doesnt it seem like that would violating some right? If no, does anyone have a guess of where this kind of thing came from?

Thanks as always

B

Jin Gang

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't think there is any truth in that. There is no standard for rank or achievement from one style to the other.

In one school, you can get a black belt in two years. In another, five years, in another ten. There is no oversight or standardization, no way to really compare the rank structure of one school to another. What government body is monitoring martial artists?
Do professional boxers "register" their hands? No.

I think that the "registering your hands as lethal weapons" is a modern myth perpetuated by corny karate movies from the seventies.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have heard a couple times that upon recieving a certain rank in any formal martial arts training that you have to register yourself because it is seen that your hands can be considered a weapon.
B

It's BS...

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a myth. The story I heard is that there was a law on the books once up in Jersey or Mass or somewhere up that way. Lasted something like a month. But that could also just be another story.

Besides being a myth, it's a great way to spot somebody who's full of it. "My hands are registered" = "I'm lying about my martial arts experience".

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You don't have to register your hands and feet as weapons (in the US), but I'm about to post an article that you may be interested in. :)

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's BS...
Actually this is very true....go to your local police dept and tell them that you need need to register your self....hehehehehe....sorry couldn't resist....no truth whatsoever........

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Besides being a myth, it's a great way to spot somebody who's full of it. "My hands are registered" = "I'm lying about my martial arts experience".

LOL. Thats a good point

What government body is monitoring martial artists?
Do professional boxers "register" their hands? No.

Thats what I was thinking. With all the other problems in the world the government would waste time on martial artists.

As for boxers, i considered that as well along with any other kinds of professional fighters.

It does seem quite insane

B

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you would like one, please send a check for $25.00 and a self addressed stamped envelope to my PO Box and I'll gladly print and laminate you a nice wallet sized card that you can show off at parties. :)

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You don't have to register your hands and feet as weapons (in the US), but I'm about to post an article that you may be interested in. :)
Sounds cool. Could you post a link in here when you are finished. Thanks

nevermind. found it

B

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you would like one, please send a check for $25.00 and a self addressed stamped envelope to my PO Box and I'll gladly print and laminate you a nice wallet sized card that you can show off at parties. :)
Ok that is funny...but seriously how do i get your PO box. LOL :p

B

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok I have posed the questions about MA'ists being held more responsible for their actions when it comes to physical altercations because of the training we all have. This is along those same lines but...i dont know...here goes

I have heard a couple times that upon recieving a certain rank in any formal martial arts training that you have to register yourself because it is seen that your hands can be considered a weapon. Know at first hearing this I wanted to laugh but as I got to thinking about it I wondered. Since I couldnt explain it myself I thought I would bring it up here on MT since I have gathered so much information from this site already.

My question: Is there any truth in this? If so, how can this be possible? Doesnt it seem like that would violating some right? If no, does anyone have a guess of where this kind of thing came from?

Thanks as always

B
I'm aware of nowhere that actually has a law like this. It'd be very difficult to enforce, and have almost no utility. However, crap like this has been used by folks to justify not testing for black belt...

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score

Capitalism at it's finast...I'll do it for $20.00 But for another $10.00 you can get a nice wall mountable poster of you and your favorite Senior Master....

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you butcher someone with your bare hands and cripple them really bad, it can gain sympathy for the "victim" if the prosecution finds out about your martial arts training. If this law was actually written I'd never get my BB.

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The scene from X-men kind of fits here. Where Jean Grey is talking to the senator:
Senator: "We licence people to drive"
Jean Grey: "yes, but not to live"

Kind od fits :)

B

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have heard, however, that if a prosecutor can prove you are a skilled martial artists, i.e. certified as a black belt or higher, that he/she could indeed prosecute you for "assault with a deadly weapon" even if you were empty handed (unlike an untrained person who generally needs at least a stick or stone in his hand to be charged with the same offense).

It seems to make sense and is something to think about.

Can anybody verify this?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have heard, however, that if a prosecutor can prove you are a skilled martial artists, i.e. certified as a black belt or higher, that he/she could indeed prosecute you for "assault with a deadly weapon" even if you were empty handed (unlike an untrained person who generally needs at least a stick or stone in his hand to be charged with the same offense).

It seems to make sense and is something to think about.

Can anybody verify this?

Yup. See the article I posted from Black Belt.

Also check your state's laws. In many states (including mine) kicking someone while wearing shoes qualifies as assault with a deadly weapon.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yup. See the article I posted from Black Belt.

Also check your state's laws. In many states (including mine) kicking someone while wearing shoes qualifies as assault with a deadly weapon.

True.

According to my research, it's mostly about proving that there is a sufficient disparity in size/strength/skill. A martial artist would need to be most careful about justifiable use of force, especially lethal force, in relation to their training. Overkill will be much more of a liability in your legal argument if your training or art has a propensity for violence (read Cobra Kai).

There are expert witnesses that are also martial arts experts. Massad Ayoob is used in this capacity but more for use of force with firearms, of course. With the rise of MMA in the public eye, being singled out because of your training is definitely a legitimate concern.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
True.

According to my research, it's mostly about proving that there is a sufficient disparity in size/strength/skill. A martial artist would need to be most careful about justifiable use of force, especially lethal force, in relation to their training. Overkill will be much more of a liability in your legal argument if your training or art has a propensity for violence (read Cobra Kai).

There are expert witnesses that are also martial arts experts. Massad Ayoob is used in this capacity but more for use of force with firearms, of course. With the rise of MMA in the public eye, being singled out because of your training is definitely a legitimate concern.

Massad Ayoob also mentions in his writing that an escalation up to lethal force can be justified if you (the defender) knows your attacker is a better fighter than you are...which is an argument for not wearing a school T-shirt or carrying a school gear bag in public. Clue your attacker that you are a trained fighter and you risk justifying his violence against you.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually this is very true....go to your local police dept and tell them that you need need to register your self....hehehehehe....sorry couldn't resist....no truth whatsoever........

Try that up here and you will go deaf from the sounds of roaring laughter..

Latest Discussions