Hey guys, I could use some advice.

Drachonius117

White Belt
Reaction score
I have studied the martial arts for many years, since I was 10. (My brother was big into the MA and as the adoring little brother I wanted to be just like him).

Well I have been at this one particular school since the beginning of my adventure into martial arts. I love the school, my sensei is amazing as are all the people that go there.

But when I turned 18 last October, I lost the drive I had for many many years. I wasn't excited about the class, and I just really couldnt make myself enjoy it anymore. I started feeling that this martial art wasn't for me. I have always wanted to try out Judo, A katana art, or old Karate.

Now I know this has been a long read, and I appreciate those of you who will read this. I couldnt think of a better place to ask this question. So now my question is, what type of karates are there, and also what would be the closest to training like the old Samurai when it comes to the sword arts?

Thank you all :).

7starmarc

Green Belt
Reaction score
Could you be more specific with your old style? What style? How far have you progressed? What is the nature of your dissatisfaction and why do you think judo or something would be different? Have you spoken with your sensei about these feelings?

I think many MAists come up against a wall at various points in their training. Sometimes, it's best to switch styles, Sometimes, it's best to push through.

OP
D

Drachonius117

White Belt
Reaction score
I've always been interested in Judo, I have spoken with my sensei about these feelings, he understands, he said he was unsatisfied with his first art he was in and that he has no problem if I was to feel like leaving and exploring more arts.

I train in Shaolin Kung Fu, we incorporate the 5 animals into it as well. and he teaches jujitsu as well. But we cant really learn a whole of that til we achieve Black belt(Sensei doesn't use sashes and some CMA do) He still teaches us a little throws and all the breakfalls. I acheived Brown Belt (1 from black) and I just really can't get focused on it and excited about it anymore.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So now my question is, what type of karates are there, and also what would be the closest to training like the old Samurai when it comes to the sword arts?
There are quite alot of branches of Karate.
A list: There are more I am sure.
Chito-ryu ("of the Chinese T'ang dynasty, 1000 years ago")
Genseiryu
Goju-ryu ("Hard Soft")
Go Kan Ryu
Isshin-ryu
Kansui-ryu
Kei Shin Kan
Kobayashi-ryu
Koei-Kan ("prosper with happiness")
Kyokushin
Matsubayashi-ryu
Matsumura Motobu
Matsumura Seito
Motobu-ryu
Shindo Jinen Ryu
Shintora-Kai
Shito-ryu
Shobayashi-ryu
Shorei-Kai ("graceful, flowing, and with peaceful intentions")
Shorei-Goju-Ryu
Shorei-ryu
Shorin-ryu
Shorinji-ryu("sholin style japan master form wonderfull style")
Shorinji-ryu("way of sholin")
Shorinji-ryu India("way of sholin")
Shotokai
Shotokan
Shudokan
Shukokai ("way for all")
Taikudo
Uechi-ryu
Wado-kai ("school of peace")
Wado-ryu ("way of harmony")
Washinkai ("way of harmony of heart, mind, body and truth)
Washin-ryu
Sword arts would be Kenjutsu,Kendo,Iaijutsu if you are just talking sword.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The wall that you've hit is one that most MAist hit several times along their path. If you want to continue on with your current art then you'll have to force yourself to go to class and sooner or later something will click that will bring back the old spark. Sometimes it's a new student that motivates you. Sometimes it's something else. As for switching to another art... have you considered picking up another art just to add to what you're already studying? Perhaps staying with your current instructor but also training in judo on the side? It may rekindle your love of your original art as well as give you new perspective on it.

OP
D

Drachonius117

White Belt
Reaction score
I've thought about another art on the side. But my only problem is my Hometown is very little. and I would have to drive to another city to study a new art. Which will probably end up being on the same days as my current class.

On a side note, anyone live in the Knoxville or Oak Ridge or Gatlinburg part of TN and study an art there?

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Split your time on alternating nights if you have to. Monday at kung fu and wednesday at judo or some such. Sounds to me like you have a very understanding instructor who'd be willing to help you work past this wall. I've been there several times. I've even taken a little time off just to let injuries heal up completely and found that I was missing a big piece of my life without my aikido training. What you are experiencing is something all martial artists feel from time to time and all good martial artists eventually work through. 'Course, it could be a good bit of burn out after training the same art for so long. Maybe a short hiatus is in order. Whichever path you decide to take I wish you the best. Keep us posted on how you're doing. :asian:

OP
D

Drachonius117

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help!

I have actually thought that I could just be burnt out because I've never had to take a break from my training for 8 years. So it could just be burn out. Thanks for all the help

And to the man above me I appreciate you finding those schools thank you very much :)

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have studied the martial arts for many years, since I was 10. (My brother was big into the MA and as the adoring little brother I wanted to be just like him).

Well I have been at this one particular school since the beginning of my adventure into martial arts. I love the school, my sensei is amazing as are all the people that go there.

But when I turned 18 last October, I lost the drive I had for many many years. I wasn't excited about the class, and I just really couldnt make myself enjoy it anymore. I started feeling that this martial art wasn't for me. I have always wanted to try out Judo, A katana art, or old Karate.

Now I know this has been a long read, and I appreciate those of you who will read this. I couldnt think of a better place to ask this question. So now my question is, what type of karates are there, and also what would be the closest to training like the old Samurai when it comes to the sword arts?

old time karate.. well that would be Okinawan style of karate. That is where Karate is from.

I would suggest Shobayashi Shorin ryu myself, but also look at Goju Ryu and Kobayashi Shorin Ryu and Matsubayashi shorin ryu and perhaps Matsumura Seito . these are the main styles of Okinawan karate, and one of them may be avialable to you. Shobayashi teaches strikes, locks, sweeps throws and brakes. Most Okinawan styles do. but look around and see.

Most of the Okinawan styles teach weapons as well. so look and see.

as far as samurai sword arts, Iado or kenjitsu are the samurai arts of the sword, with sujitsu for the yari/spear. Kendo is the sportified version of kenjitsu from what I understand.

hope that helps

OP
D

Drachonius117

White Belt
Reaction score
You guys have all been very helpful and I will def. look into all the things you guys have listed as well^^

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think maybe its time you walk alone for some time. Go into your little cave and study everything you can access... then determine where your path will extend from there.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So now my question is, what type of karates are there, and also what would be the closest to training like the old Samurai when it comes to the sword arts?
To train like the old samurai kind of depends on what you mean by 'old', as there are no new samurai for you to train like.

Rather than direct you to a specific art that is the most 'traditional', I will ask what you want out of a sword art. If you want either just live sparring or a combination of live sparring and kenjutsu, I would recommend kendo, but if you want any kenjutsu, make sure that it is a traditional kendo school; there are plenty of kendo schools that teach nothing but sparring.

The kata in kendo are a cross section of the kenjutsu schools extant before the turn of the last century. Also, the bogu and shinai were used by the samurai at the very tail end of their prominence, as they were developed to allow a killing blow to be practiced against a live opponent without killing or injuring your opponent. If you can find a prewar kendo school, there are also some grapples, sweeps, and takedowns, and even a couple of chokes.

If you are strictly after forms and technique, then you would want a kenjutsu or an iaito school. Both focus on different aspects of swordsmanship. There are numerous schools of iaito, much as there are different schools of karate. Kenjutsu is a koryo art and there are a number of ryus of kenjutsu. Beware of fake ryus, and if they have a system of colored belts in a supposed koryo school, then it is likely not legitimate.

Some kendo schools will include kenjutsu and iaito in their curriculum, though it will usually be a generalized kenjutsu and iaito rather than of a specific school.

Daniel

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

It has been my experience that what you're feeling, most have felt also. Like Letch said. Sometimes you just need a break. We take vacations from work to avoid these "burn outs", it's a healthy thing to do.

I, myself hit that at about green belt and took a month off of training. Although it took a little more work to get back into the swing of things when I got back, I missed it tremendously for that month. When I came back, that spark was back. I used to drive 2 hours every night to go to class.

IMO, you'll always find your way back to your roots sort of speak. If your instructor does not have a problem taking something else, then go see what's out there. All it will do is add to your arsenal. Good Luck.

americanarnisador

White Belt
Reaction score
My advice to you is to stay the course and cross train on the side.
Like high school or college...your first goal to be attained is the diploma.
Being so close to your black belt or sash it would be a shame to not get it after so many years of love and hard work. Remember that it is the real beginning of your journey in the martial arts. The language so to say that you'll always translate back to. All other forays will add to your abilities and vision.
Be good and train hard

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Kendo by a real Japanese master for the sword. Go to Japan and live there for maybe 5 years and you can learn from them.

Karate? Shotokan, the 'Ryus', Taekwondo (many versions), Hapkido,...

Tons of them.

http://www.fightingarts.com/

Deaf

Latest Discussions