Kids Ranks into Adult Ranks

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do any of you attend a school that has a different ranking system for children?
If so, how does it differ from the adult ranking system? Are the requirements different? How many more ranks are included in the children's system? What happens when a child crosses over the age threshold into the adult ranking system?

AoG

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our curriculum for children is the same as for adults except there is no yakusoku kumite and no sparring. When advancing to the adult belt ranks (full belt instead of stripe) they grade normally with adult curriculum for the next level. However our tests run trough all the material from white and up to the belt tested for, meaning they must pick up a lot of new stuff.
In some cases they might be allowed to re-test for their current belt, adding the extra curriculum for adults to get full belt. In this case it is not done at our formal gradings, but less formally in or after class.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
our childrens' system is entirely different from our adult system.

the adult is classic EPAK kenpo, 16 techs per belt. with all the throat ripping, eye gouging and kicking when the man's down that makes kenpo much of what it is.

our kids' system is a rotating monthly curriculum with a different focus each month: basics one month, partner and shield work another, sticks one month, fitness and health the next. three to five completed modules = new belt rank. black belt is in 3 - 4 years, with junior black belts then attending adult classes.

kids train for such different reasons, and are ready for such different lessons, i can't imagine going back to trying to teach kids the same curriculum as adults.

goodwrench_mc

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Our school has a modified ranking system for "Juniors". The belts are the same and they receive about half of the adult requirements. The material is modified without the all the throat ripping, eye gouging and kicking when the man's down. If they complete the Jr. system before age 15 they can test for Jr BB. When they move into the adult system they keep current belt but must catch up on 2nd half of material and "upgrade" their techniques.

Kwiter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Our school has a modified ranking system for "Juniors". The belts are the same and they receive about half of the adult requirements. The material is modified without the all the throat ripping, eye gouging and kicking when the man's down. If they complete the Jr. system before age 15 they can test for Jr BB. When they move into the adult system they keep current belt but must catch up on 2nd half of material and "upgrade" their techniques.

This sounds alot like what my daughters are getting tho they first test for striped junior belt then about 3 months later they test for a senior belt without a stripe.

Skenne Peace

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
At USSD the ranks are the same until black belt. Kids under 16 get a junior black belt which has a red stripe in the middle.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my wifes TKD classes, there is no difference in the requirements for the kids and the adults. Different things are taught in the practical applications areas. Tend to get a little meaner and nastier with what she teaches the adults.

Also, the board breaking requirements will definitely keep eight year old black belts occurring.

Jeff

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
At USSD the ranks are the same until black belt. Kids under 16 get a junior black belt which has a red stripe in the middle.

Even at junior black they still learn the same thing as a regular first degree black.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I wasn't sure, we don't have any jr bb in my studio. We have a 2nd brown who is 11 and my instructor is hoping will be a jr bb when he turns 12 and then get him to 2nd dan when he turns 16

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In many BJJ schools they have additional belts between the white and blue for children. They throw in a yellow, orange and green and when they student reaches sixteen they can test for a blue under the same criteria as an adult.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know in TKD it is same same. However, at dads school they have a prehapkido class that goes on the tab system up to green I think. At green, I think everyone and everything is same same again. I know it is different because the pre hapkido kids don't learn the locks. The young bones just aren't ready yet.

I know in the USJA there are two different formulas of belt ranking for Jr. and Sr. Overall, the same cirriculum however it is much more spread out for the youngsters for safety concerns and other obvious reasons.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, In our system, we have pee-wee ranks 5-7 years, also we have junior ranks up to age 18 years. Junior ranks have a white or red stripes(jr-BB's). Junior BB's are different from our student BB's and up.

They must be 16 years or older to test for Student Black-belts, after one year or more...than you can test again for the 1st degree BB's.

Every style and system will have there own way of rankings and giving belts. There are NO standards! Today Black-belts are giving just for showing up to classes.

It there a way to test a true degree? ...like a doctors degree,lawyers degree,engineer degrees,

Degrees only means you have attended classes,pass the exam's, and did your require time/Hours needed.

Today Black-belts have loss there meanings because testing and almost anyone can get ONE! (again NO rules or standards here).

It is like a high school dipolma...almost anyone can get one? ...Just my thoughts here! .........Aloha

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, In our system, we have pee-wee ranks 5-7 years, also we have junior ranks up to age 18 years. Junior ranks have a white or red stripes(jr-BB's). Junior BB's are different from our student BB's and up.

They must be 16 years or older to test for Student Black-belts, after one year or more...than you can test again for the 1st degree BB's.

Every style and system will have there own way of rankings and giving belts. There are NO standards! Today Black-belts are giving just for showing up to classes.

It there a way to test a true degree? ...like a doctors degree,lawyers degree,engineer degrees,

Degrees only means you have attended classes,pass the exam's, and did your require time/Hours needed.

Today Black-belts have loss there meanings because testing and almost anyone can get ONE! (again NO rules or standards here).

It is like a high school dipolma...almost anyone can get one? ...Just my thoughts here! .........Aloha

Sadly it so true.

All too often I have seen schools around me award rankings and ultimately black belts for good attendance, no real testing of knowledge. It is a lowering of standards in pursuit of the dollar. Very sad.

Having said that, it is important that kids follow a different programme of learning to that of adults. They are still growing after all. Teachers need to be able to fairly translate from one programme to the other. You really don't want young student having learn things again that they already know. It is a way to lose students.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, I give the kids belts, but no one in the adult class wears or holds any rank. Ok, well some hold rank, but not from me and they don't wear it :)

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, I give the kids belts, but no one in the adult class wears or holds any rank. Ok, well some hold rank, but not from me and they don't wear it :)

A grading system is a very useful tool for encouraging kids to strive to learn. Each new attainment is an incentive to continue to attend classes and participate in the world of martial arts. Though, personally, I think participation is incentive enough.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do any of you attend a school that has a different ranking system for children?
If so, how does it differ from the adult ranking system? Are the requirements different? How many more ranks are included in the children's system? What happens when a child crosses over the age threshold into the adult ranking system?

AoG

The rank system is the same, except for brown belt. Because we don't want 12 year olds running around with BBs, and because of the volume of material, we've split brown belt for those under 16 into six ranks, instead of three.

We do have techniques that are different, or modified for the six and under kids and katas are not required until age nine, although the teacher does have to option to teach them to their students.

Kwiter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Where my daughters train I think even the 3-4 year olds learn the "junior" katas.

Sewing out a design on the Embroidery machine while I type this, alot higher stitch count than I remembered!

Skennen Peace

Latest Discussions