cross ranking

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by progressivetactics

sounds dis-respectful, and dis-honest.

I'm sorry you feel that way, as I see my experiences are my own to share. Instructors always have the ability to ask for further info on my experience and the right to refuse tutalage.

Originally posted by OULobo

I have never had an instructor mad at or distrustful of me for this policy.

OP
P

progressivetactics

We have a right to differ on methodologies, so no big deal...but iin my mind, I would be upset if I asked you if you had training, and you avoided my question, intentionally holding back information to pose as a beginner, instead of coming forth-right and saying...."i am ranked in "X" but want to learn this art. I would like to start as a beginner and not step on toes by wearing a belt different then any other beginner." Just my thought.

Any time I avoid a question, or intensionally hide truth....I am being dishonest, and dis respectful.
Again, just my personal opinion in life. Doesn't mean it works for everyone.

OP
T

twinkletoes

these days i try to pretty much avoid rank altogether.

back when I was training in a lot of different things, I always wore white belts, if any belt at all, when starting a new style. I had some instructors who thought that was a little weird, but then again, what else was I going to do?

nowadays the only times I wear belts are when I have to:

kenpo BB when teaching kenpo (I'm not the head instructor, so it's not my rule...)

arnis BB if I'm asked to (formal testing, etc.)

BJJ blue belt to hold my gi closed.

anything else is no belt, or if I have to wear one, white belt.

The only exception was one instructor who insisted that I wear the highest rank I had earned. His thing was that he was teaching concepts, not specific technique, and that he would rank the other students in TKD since he also taught that. But we were studying other material with him, so he just wanted us to wear whatever our base style had ranked us as.

~TT

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score

coming forth-right and saying...."i am ranked in "X" but want to learn this art. I would like to start as a beginner and not step on toes by wearing a belt different then any other beginner." Just my thought.

I like and respect this approach to the previous MA experience question... :asian:

If pressed for my MA background, I'll be honest, but I wouldn't be boastful about it. I would expect, or ask to start at the bottom rung of the ladder as a WHITE belt along with the rest of the beginners in that particular style.

OP
P

progressivetactics

glad others see it my way as well!

I have never been boastful of rank, but felt it was my duty to advise of history, to help my future instructor better know where to work me, and trust in his/her direction.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
glad others see it my way as well!

I have never been boastful of rank, but felt it was my duty to advise of history, to help my future instructor better know where to work me, and trust in his/her direction.

Thats a good point. At todays high dollar rates its almost a waste to train a slower pace if you can handle more. You've earned your abilities its smart to use them to the fullest.

Thats not to say that the instructor should be obligated to teach you more though. We are all differant and some, like some I've trained under and one I'm related to, will not give you anymore than they give anyone else. In that case I say move on.

I don't hold anything back to any student at any time. I know what I expect them to learn and how to get them there. Thats a part of teaching. To be able to teach a student to be better than myself. That is my job.

Its to easy to teach everyone the same, collect a monthly check, have a promotion every two months....

:asian:

OP
P

progressivetactics

and we all know there is alot of them out there that have chose that way, isn't there!!!

OP
A

A.R.K.

We've been very fortunate to have BB's in other disciplines come to us for training. I ask them to wear the rank [BB] they have obtained in their other discipline. They will remain at this level till they have met our discipline requirements for advancement beyond their current. I just feel it is a courtesy I wish to extend to them.

I would not expect the reciprical however if I went to someone else to receive their training. I would have no problem wearing white again.

:asian:

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I switched organizations within kenpo. my new school has different requirements (more techniques and forms, done slightly differently).

my instructor said I could keep the brown belt.

I felt uncomfortable with it and decided I wanted to wear white. However, I didn't have a white belt, so I waited til I tested for yellow, and they gave me my yellow belt, so I put it on and have been wearing it ever since.... and if my life would calm down a bit so I can get into class more often, I'd be able to learn the stuff I need for orange. lol.

Latest Discussions