Kicking and self defense

northern tiger

White Belt
Reaction score
The general opinion (I believe) is that kicking techniques are not suited for self defense purposes, or at least not as suited as hand techniques, wrestling and grappling.

As a Kung Fu practitioner I generally practice a lot of kicks and have used them both successfully and not-so-successfully. I believe that kicking, "on the streets", is a good option. Why? Because, you almost always wear very sturdy shoes when you are outside. This ads significantly to the damage you can inflict with a kick. A hard shoe to the leg, abdomen or head can end a fight quickly.

However I do understand and agree that hand techniques are more suited for self defense as they are easier and safer to use.

What's your take on this?

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would say that high kicking (i.e. kicking an enemy in the head) is not very practical though one could get it to work if it was set up right.

Kicking is very practical in martial arts. Stomping on feet, kicking the shins, groin, or even the chest are pssoible. If ya got legs ya might as well use 'em.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The general opinion (I believe) is that kicking techniques are not suited for self defense purposes,
Ok, with you so far.
I believe that kicking, "on the streets", is a good option. Why? Because, you almost always wear very sturdy shoes when you are outside. This ads significantly to the damage you can inflict with a kick. A hard shoe to the leg, abdomen or head can end a fight quickly.

However I do understand and agree that hand techniques are more suited for self defense as they are easier and safer to use.

Wait, what exactly is your take? You contradict yourself a bit there...

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A quick snapping front kick just below the knee cap of the opponent is simple and effective - takes practically no skill beyond accuracy, it's low and fast and hard to see or defend against, and the foot is off the ground for such a brief period of time that there is practically no compromise to balance.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kicking for defense can be very good, but it depends on how good you are at it and how hard you train it.

If you are confident in your ground game, should things go wrong with kicking, itwill make a difference in if you pull it off. Kicking to the legs can be pretty darn good on the streets. Trust me, a well kicked leg is not going to function very well and will help stop the BG.

But if you hesitate with the kick for fear of going to the ground, you will most likely end up there. That is why you need to have a bit of confidence in your ground game or takedown defense.

JMHO.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My feet from their waist down, my hands from their waist up. Legs can be used many ways, sweeps, take downs, stomps, leg blocking, leg checking and bumping. I believe picking up the leg for self defense can be dangerous, but as mentioned above, very useful, and has it’s place. Most of the kicks done in sparring matches are not useful in a street confrontation, and some of the foot and leg maneuvers for the street, as mentioned above, are not safe or practical while sparring. Some of the best kicks, should be used, to disable your attackers legs, and take away his mobility. When hands and feet are working in harmony it is unbeatable indeed. :asian:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kicks absolutely have a place in self defense. SOME kicking techniques are not generally wise choices, because they either open up the defender dangerously (high kicks that end up exposing the groin and back of the leg, for example) or are unsafe without sound footing that may not be available (some ways of doing round or side kicks, and high kicks again). A few can be dangerous to do with the added weight of shoes or boots (some crescent kicks and some ways of doing round kicks) putting extra stress on the kicking knee.

But that's a far cry from saying that you're wasting time training kicks! Realize the kicks that are workable for the street, practice them in a realistic manner, find out what you can do while wearing shoes, on different surfaces, at different ranges... and you'll find that kicks definitely have a place in your self defense arsenal. You'll probably find yourself relying on lower kicks (waist down), more direct kicks that don't require a lot of pivoting on the foot, and a smaller arsenal -- but they'll be there!

OP
N

northern tiger

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok, with you so far.
Wait, what exactly is your take? You contradict yourself a bit there...

Sorry, English isn't my first language so sometimes I make mistakes like that. I meant that "I believe the general opinion is that kicking is less useful in SD. However, I myself think kicks are great for defending yourself."

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The general opinion (I believe) is that kicking techniques are not suited for self defense purposes, or at least not as suited as hand techniques, wrestling and grappling.

Whos opinion is this?

As a Kung Fu practitioner I generally practice a lot of kicks and have used them both successfully and not-so-successfully. I believe that kicking, "on the streets", is a good option. Why? Because, you almost always wear very sturdy shoes when you are outside. This ads significantly to the damage you can inflict with a kick. A hard shoe to the leg, abdomen or head can end a fight quickly.

IMHO, I think that kicks are fine in a self defense situation. While some may disagree, I would stick with low line kicks vs. high kicks. Now, someone who trains them all the time may have a different opinion, but even if someone can do them, I think that the surface you're on, shoes you're wearing, clothing you're wearing, all come into play.

Why not do both hands and feet? Its possible that you could injure your hand while striking, however, there're many options to pick from, ie: elbows, palm strikes and closed hand such as a hammerfist.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Foot stomps, toe kicks, low front kicks with the heal, low side kicks, low round house kicks, 'charlie chapman' kicks. Yes there are several very good kicking techniques to use in self defense.

The real question is, how often do you practice them and how well have you developed power in them?

Just like punching or blocking you have to put alot of time to not only get accuracy and power, but speed and timing.

I honestly feel most people don't but any effort in low kicking. And I can assure you, a correct low side kick will break a two-by-four. And a low front kick with the heal can do almost the same. You just have to work on it alot.

Deaf

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
A quick snapping front kick just below the knee cap of the opponent is simple and effective - takes practically no skill beyond accuracy, it's low and fast and hard to see or defend against, and the foot is off the ground for such a brief period of time that there is practically no compromise to balance.

Yes, my favorite type of move, as mentioned here, take that leg out no matter the degree.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fancy jumping and spinning kicks are of little use unless you have the guy phased and want to make a point to scare off his buds. Otherwise kicks to targets below the waist and hands to targets above, except when the opening is obvious.

Oh, and always wear combat boots like I do. Best for stomping a mud hole.

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Kick to the foot (heel stomp), knee, shin, thigh, groin, bladder, abdomen, ribs..yes. Kick to the head as a first technique....not so much (very dangerous)

Kicks used in the right situations are very effective, especially, when used in self-defense.

Michael

Msby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As everyone here has said, low kicks are your best bet. But don't forget that just about any technique can be used based on the circumstances. By the way, I've heard kicking an attacker on the floor will bring about some serious consequences from the law. (dunno why you would if he's already on the floor...) Does anyone know what would happen if one were to kick an attacker in the head and cause brain damage, or kick them in the legs and permanently break something? Seems like there would be grounds for a lawsuit, even in a pure SD situation. Any thoughts on that?

OP
N

northern tiger

White Belt
Reaction score
So, I see I might have been a little wrong about peoples opinion regarding kicks and self defense. Basically everything I've read: books, magazines, internet and forums, uses kicks very very sparsely or not at all.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As everyone here has said, low kicks are your best bet. But don't forget that just about any technique can be used based on the circumstances. By the way, I've heard kicking an attacker on the floor will bring about some serious consequences from the law. (dunno why you would if he's already on the floor...) Does anyone know what would happen if one were to kick an attacker in the head and cause brain damage, or kick them in the legs and permanently break something? Seems like there would be grounds for a lawsuit, even in a pure SD situation. Any thoughts on that?

Discretion is always the better part of valor. When the time is right, you will know what to do.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score

Why would you want to kick them while their on the floor, if you have them down, obviously you have ended or gained the upperhand.

As far as the pure SD situations, why would you give your attack your name or any other information for them to sue you, end the situation, call the cops and leave, if he/she is hurt, tough cookies, they should have not started anything.

Now of course, there are always circumstances to every situation and you have to weigh them into your situation and go from there, but my name never has to enter into any of them in my view.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kicks can be very useful on the street......i've seen MT style kicks used to great effect against opponents in the street (used them myself a couple times......snap kicks to the groin and MT leg kicks to the thigh and calves).

1. Those kicks should be targeted to points below the opponents waist,

2. Should generally be kicks that don't throw your too far off balance.

3. They should be quick kicks that are pulled back quickly to avoid being grabbed or tripped.

4. You should ALWAYS be aware of the surfaces your are standing on (asphalt, gravel, mud, etc, etc) and how they will effect your balance when kicking.

5. They should be set up with other techniques so that your opponent doesn't know the kick is coming, and adjust for it, or attempt to catch it.

One should also remember that knee strikes are very effective on the street as they are in the ring.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kicks can be very useful on the street......i've seen MT style kicks used to great effect against opponents in the street (used them myself a couple times......snap kicks to the groin and MT leg kicks to the thigh and calves).

1. Those kicks should be targeted to points below the opponents waist,

2. Should generally be kicks that don't throw your too far off balance.

3. They should be quick kicks that are pulled back quickly to avoid being grabbed or tripped.

4. You should ALWAYS be aware of the surfaces your are standing on (asphalt, gravel, mud, etc, etc) and how they will effect your balance when kicking.

5. They should be set up with other techniques so that your opponent doesn't know the kick is coming, and adjust for it, or attempt to catch it.

One should also remember that knee strikes are very effective on the street as they are in the ring.

I agree, I personally would sugest kicking ankles and shins and knees till softened up a bit then groin. if you want to kick some one in the head, bring the head down below your waist to do it. knees and elbows are great close in.

but ya I would suggest 3 or 4 hand techniques to each kick in most situations. remember combination are your friend. Also remember that INTENT is important to. it should be to end the encounter as quickly as you can.

Latest Discussions