Kick or punch

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So I was wondering what do people like to use more in their training. I know it all depends on what situation but are you more of a puncher or kicker.

Personally I'm a kicker because I'm a tall guy I have a long reach advantage with my kicks and I'm not a fan going all rough and tumble so kicks are good to keep at distance pick an opponent off with them.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you get older, your kicking ability will decrease faster than your punching ability. If you still want to be able to handle a 20 years old when you are 80, you may have to depend more on your punching skill than your kicking skill.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I was wondering what do people like to use more in their training. I know it all depends on what situation but are you more of a puncher or kicker.

Personally I'm a kicker because I'm a tall guy I have a long reach advantage with my kicks and I'm not a fan going all rough and tumble so kicks are good to keep at distance pick an opponent off with them.

Me too. I prefer kicking. I've always been stronger with the legs. Kicks are more powerful and have longer reach than hand strikes but the tradeoff is that you have to work more on them if you want to develop good kicks. It takes about three times as much work to develop good kicks as it does to develop good hand strikes.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
When you get older, your kicking ability will decrease faster than your punching ability. If you still want to be able to handle a 20 years old when you are 80, you may have to depend more on your punching skill than your kicking skill.

I intend to keep my kicking ability and all my martial arts ability in prime condition and to take it to the grave, whenever that might be.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I intend to keep my kicking ability and all my martial arts ability in prime condition and to take it to the grave, whenever that might be.
For kicking skill, the

- jumping ability (you may lose this when you are 70 years old),
- flexibility,
- single leg balance,

are much harder to maintain through the old age than the speed and power used in punching.

Last edited:

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Young JP3, kicker.
Mid-range JP3: Puncher (actually open hand, really)
Now JP3: A knock 'em down and twist things off approach.

It is a good thing to attempt to keep skils and athletic ability as long as possible, but as Wang says, it will go, only a question of when. Things start to hurt and that in itself is a dissuader to continuing to attempt to do things that really end up being less effective.

I grinned at the "not really so much into the rough and tumble" comment. You need judo, I can tell.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I prefer punching but I used to prefer kicking.

OP
K

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Young JP3, kicker.
Mid-range JP3: Puncher (actually open hand, really)
Now JP3: A knock 'em down and twist things off approach.

It is a good thing to attempt to keep skils and athletic ability as long as possible, but as Wang says, it will go, only a question of when. Things start to hurt and that in itself is a dissuader to continuing to attempt to do things that really end up being less effective.

I grinned at the "not really so much into the rough and tumble" comment. You need judo, I can tell.
Man I can't train anything at the moment for medical reasons haha one day I may look into grappling but for now I prefer to train stand up and at least get my black belt in kenpo at least when I can actually train again

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Punching, by a long shot. My kicks are decent, my punches and open-hand strikes are better. Years ago (maybe 15 years ago) I had better kicks, but time has taken its toll. My punches are actually better now than they were then.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm a long legged galoot; so, I am a natural kicker, but not any more. They taught me, that kicks are mere inserts to a larger project. Aids, if you will.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I certainly get more satisfaction from drilling a guy in the head with a kick than just about anything else.

But i throw more punches than kicks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm a puncher. I use my feet to move myself around, mostly. I'll kick if the opportunity presents itself, generally low and designed to off-balance more than injure per se.

I like kickers, especially high kickers. I am not fast, but I seem to have a natural ability to jam kicks. Get inside, jam the kick, punch em up, get out.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm a puncher. I use my feet to move myself around, mostly. I'll kick if the opportunity presents itself, generally low and designed to off-balance more than injure per se.

I like kickers, especially high kickers. I am not fast, but I seem to have a natural ability to jam kicks. Get inside, jam the kick, punch em up, get out.
Yeah, no matter how fast you get with a kick off the back leg, it will always be the slowest move you've got.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's purely striking, punches to set things up, kicks to knock things down.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is a good thing to attempt to keep skils and athletic ability as long as possible, but as Wang says, it will go, only a question of when.
When you die, that's when everything goes. But until then I will do everything I can to not only keep what I've got but to improve on it.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Being overly committed to one style of attack can limit both offensive and defensive opportunities so I try to train both. The less familiar my opponent is with my attacks, the bigger my advantage will be to attack.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Keep in mind that kicking isn't always directed at the head nor does it always have to be at the intensity of a Muay Thai fighter. The high kicks will be affected by age much sooner than the low kicks. I think most people younger than thirty really enjoy that they can kick high. People older than 30 begin to find the value of breaking a fighter's root with a kick or with some kind of leg technique is more valuable and takes less effort. They begin to learn how to use kicks and punches part of one attack vs thinking of the 2 as 2 separate types of attack. Such as the perception of the original post in asking if you like to kick or punch? This type of question has the perception that they are 2 separate attacks.

As I've gotten older my kicks and punches become more of a singular attack where the success of one guarantees the success of the other. Not sure if I make sense but that's the best way I can explain it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that kicking isn't always directed at the head nor does it always have to be at the intensity of a Muay Thai fighter. The high kicks will be affected by age much sooner than the low kicks. I think most people younger than thirty really enjoy that they can kick high. People older than 30 begin to find the value of breaking a fighter's root with a kick or with some kind of leg technique is more valuable and takes less effort. They begin to learn how to use kicks and punches part of one attack vs thinking of the 2 as 2 separate types of attack. Such as the perception of the original post in asking if you like to kick or punch? This type of question has the perception that they are 2 separate attacks.

As I've gotten older my kicks and punches become more of a singular attack where the success of one guarantees the success of the other. Not sure if I make sense but that's the best way I can explain it.

I guess I'm odd. I'm well over your 30 year break point, and I still get a kick out of planting my foot upside someones head.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess I'm odd. I'm well over your 30 year break point, and I still get a kick out of planting my foot upside someones head.
I am odd as well, apparently. I'm only 22, yet I rarely can/will throw a kick at someones head, and 90% of my kicks are low kicks.

Latest Discussions