kenpo knives

C

clapping_tiger

In another thread (the sticks) there was a little talk about the kenpo knives. I have heard of this, but have never seen the knives used in kenpo by someone who had training. I have applied some of my techniques with a knife in each hand but I am interested in learning more. I was wondering if anybody has any more information on this or can point me in the right direction. I saw that Larry Tatum has a video set out, does anyone know if it is any good? I have never met or seen Larry Tatum move but I heard his videos are decent.

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by clapping_tiger

In another thread (the sticks) there was a little talk about the kenpo knives. I have heard of this, but have never seen the knives used in kenpo by someone who had training. I have applied some of my techniques with a knife in each hand but I am interested in learning more. I was wondering if anybody has any more information on this or can point me in the right direction. I saw that Larry Tatum has a video set out, does anyone know if it is any good? I have never met or seen Larry Tatum move but I heard his videos are decent.

Mr. Tatum's form 8 tapes are good they show a lot of kenpo applied concepts. Dr. LaTourrette's knife fighting book is always a favorite. He has about 20 kenpo techniques that he's applied the knife to. I definitely recommend it.

You might also look into some tapes outside of Kenpo (a cardinal sin I know). James Keating, Kelly Worden and Ron Balicki are three that come to mind.

Regards, jb:asian:

OP
B

brianhunter

a good knife fighter is more dangerous then an idiot with a gun!

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

In another thread (the sticks) there was a little talk about the kenpo knives. I have heard of this, but have never seen the knives used in kenpo by someone who had training.

The original 'kenpo knife' (now called the 'kenpo 1') was created by Gil Hibben and presented to Ed Parker for his black belt thesis, Ed Parker Jr. own that now, but you can still buy manufactured ones.

More recently he created the 'kenpo 2' knife, which some people like more and some less. Personally, I think the kenpo 2 looks better and am somewhat lusting after one (I collect knives, so being into kenpo as well that's sort of the ultimate one) but living on my little island instead of your really big one it'd cost me more than a poor student can afford:

http://www.bkcg.co.uk/products/manu/hibben/uc1168.html

£110 there, where as you lot can get one for $80 (about half the price) :(

Ian.

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score

In another thread (the sticks) there was a little talk about the kenpo knives. I have heard of this, but have never seen the knives used in kenpo by someone who had training.

Personally, I had no interest in knife fighting, and in a conversation with Mr Paul Mills, I told him so.

He said, "Les, are you interested in being able to defend yourself against a knife attack?" Of course, I told him I was. "Well then," he said, "dont you think it's important to know what a knife is capable of?"

That opened my eyes, and I began to study the AKKI Knife curriculum. Now I'm hooked, I've learnt so much, and it all relates to empty hand, and club work.

Call Mr Mills and ask him about knife work, you'll find his number on the AKKI website, www.akki.com he'll be more than willing to talk to you about it.

Hope this helps,

Les

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Les

Personally, I had no interest in knife fighting, and in a conversation with Mr Paul Mills, I told him so.

He said, "Les, are you interested in being able to defend yourself against a knife attack?" Of course, I told him I was. "Well then," he said, "dont you think it's important to know what a knife is capable of?"

That opened my eyes, and I began to study the AKKI Knife curriculum. Now I'm hooked, I've learnt so much, and it all relates to empty hand, and club work.

Call Mr Mills and ask him about knife work, you'll find his number on the AKKI website, www.akki.com he'll be more than willing to talk to you about it.

Hope this helps,

Les

Les,

Do people carry a lot of knives in the UK? What do you find to be the biggest difference when you train here in the US vs in the UK? In terms of attitudes, physical skills, commitment, etc...

Just curious, jb:asian:

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by jbkenpo

Do people carry a lot of knives in the UK?

We can't get away with much, the laws are VERY tight indeed. Recently, locking knives were decreed in the House of Lords to be the same as a fixed blade knife as well, restricting what you can carry to basically being a very small, folding pen knife.

However, as to whether people /do/ carry them, in an illegal sense, yes they do. There are a lot of stabbings in night clubs and such forth, and a lot of gangs will have them as their weapons as opposed to guns, since there really isn't a gun culture here at all.

A summary of British knife law can be found here:

http://www.bkcg.co.uk/guide/law.html

Ian.

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by jbkenpo

Les,

Do people carry a lot of knives in the UK?

Jason, curiously, statistics show that the most common weapon used in a mugging in this courtry is actually a screwdriver.

Whatever the weapon, 3cm ( 1.4 inches) of "blade" is enough to penetrate the ribcage, and 4cm ( 1.6 inches) allows for penetration of the heart. (Don't forget the lungs, spleen, kidneys etc)

Firearms laws in this country are very strict, but you can buy a knife anywhere. Some 12 year olds are carrying them.

It's not surprising then, that in the UK, you are three times more likely to be stabbed that shot.

In the UK 7 in 20 killings in the UK involve an edged weapon.

Here's the bottom line: 30% of individuals will die from an edged weapon attack, compared to only 10% of shooting victims.

Another favorite in this country, is to break a glass, and stick it into someone.

In case you didn't guess, I teach this stuff for a living, and Kenpo's just a hobby.

Les

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Another favorite in this country, is to break a glass, and stick it into someone.

Up there as well Les? We seem to be getting that a lot in Leeds at the moment, it's terrible. I seem to hear about someone getting 'glassed' at least every other week, not just attacked with broken glasses but actually having them smashed over their heads or faces. People don't seem to realise how much damage they can do, it's all a big game to them.

And people laugh at you for learning to defend yourself.

Ian.

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by satans.barber

I seem to hear about someone getting 'glassed' at least every other week, not just attacked with broken glasses but actually having them smashed over their heads or faces. People don't seem to realise how much damage they can do, it's all a big game to them.

And people laugh at you for learning to defend yourself.

Ian.

As Mr Parker used to say; "Whatever the attitude, so is the response"

OP
C

clapping_tiger

every bit is appreciated. I do have a video on solo knife command and mastery by W. Hock Hochheim. It does a decent job at teaching you solo drills on basic knife movements and concepts. You do the drills standing, kneeling and in various positions on the ground. I do want to move on to kenpo knife forms, and apply kenpo concepts to knife combat. Thanks to everyone for their help. I assure you I will look into all these tips.

And like a said before I have started to apply some of my techniques with 2 knifes. Hey, it's a start. It looks a little rough but that is what we practice for. Right? I have also built a Burmese War Post to get used to attacking with full power and intensity. It was weird doing this in my back yard for the first time. I brought out my Sticks, and one knife and went to work. There were some guys across the street doing some roofing. When I took a break I noticed that they were all standing there watching me. I have done demos, and other things in front of people before, but I felt weird doing this in my neighbothood outside.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by satans.barber

The original 'kenpo knife' (now called the 'kenpo 1') was created by Gil Hibben and presented to Ed Parker for his black belt thesis, Ed Parker Jr. own that now, but you can still buy manufactured ones.

More recently he created the 'kenpo 2' knife, which some people like more and some less. Personally, I think the kenpo 2 looks better and am somewhat lusting after one (I collect knives, so being into kenpo as well that's sort of the ultimate one) but living on my little island instead of your really big one it'd cost me more than a poor student can afford:

£110 there, where as you lot can get one for $80 (about half the price) :(

Ian.

I finally got a kenpo 1 knife and really like it. Now to start playing with it. I guess I'll just start at the yellow techniques and go from there.

:asian:

OP
S

Stick Dummy

As an "outsider" I am a bit curious........

Do Kempo stylists utilize a conventional grip, or reverse grip when utilizing a knife??

Cuts or Thrust type techniques?

Seig - Maybe you can illustrate this to me one day since I occassionally get out into your neck of the woods, so to speak.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We use both the conventional and reverse grip depending up on the situation....... conventional is the preferred however due to it's greater range and maneuverability.

As to methods of execution.. there are several... slicing, glancing, striking, thrusting, & snaking just to name a few.....

We use many terms borrowed from the different types of cuts in a butcher shop.

tenderizing....
slicing.....
trimming......

OP
S

Stick Dummy

GoldenDragon7,

Thank You - Both for the reply, and answer to my usual inane questions.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

We use both the conventional and reverse grip depending up on the situation....... conventional is the preferred however due to it's greater range and maneuverability.

As to methods of execution.. there are several... slicing, glancing, striking, thrusting, & snaking just to name a few.....

That's odd, all of the knife work that I've done (not too much though) has been reverse grip, I've not held it conventionally once.

I've done quite a lot of defenses agaist thrusts (with a club of knife), for instance where you cut accross the attacker's forarm with the blade and then strike into the throaght with the pommel as you move behind them, that's quite a nifty one.

Also, with the reverse grip you can use the hooking and trapping motions in a similar way to the moves using the last few inches of the kenpo sticks below the hand, which is nice.

Ian.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
however, Mr. Parker always uses the knife to its greatest advantage which in his opinion was the conventinel grip. That was his preference - thats all. there is a time and place for everything.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

however, Mr. Parker always uses the knife to its greatest advantage which in his opinion was the conventinel grip. That was his preference - thats all. there is a time and place for everything.

Well, I never got to see the guy demonstrate it, I assume you did, so you'd know from first hand what he was capable of with one holding it whichever way he pleased!

Maybe they'll scrape some footage together of him using one for these DVDs, I've never seen Ed. Parker in any videos at all, not even a clip, so I'd love to get my hands on them. I'm sceptical about the availability though...

Damn, got me thinking about that Kenpo 2 knife again now! I'm supposed to be coming to the states in September for a break, I though I could buy one at reduced American price if I saw one instead of bloated British one, and put it in my case on the way home, but no doubt they'd seize it at customs and I'd've wasted my money :(

Ian.

Latest Discussions