Kenpo Hands

Mike Att

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Matt, I like that little saying by Prof. Kimo and it also goes along with what GM Cunningham said about what the pre-sets help develop. For me, and maybe others, the hard part was understanding that the pre-sets, like boxers combinations, should be viewed as training tools, a means to an end, not the end itself. Early in my training, I would become fixated on the "technique" instead of the movement...if that makes any sense to anyone.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
To me, when kenpo teachers teach arm power, they're missing the boat.

Perhaps. But that could often be just part of deconstructing the movement. Now, if that is all that gets taught, you are right. But arm power is a component of powerful hitting, and should be addressed.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I prefer powerful well placed shots over the rapid flurry. I don't do bother with the clawing or poking at all. :asian:

A couple of powerful, well placed shots will feel "fast" to your opponent who has no choice but to react to the blows and therefore cannot defend.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A couple of powerful, well placed shots will feel "fast" to your opponent who has no choice but to react to the blows and therefore cannot defend.

My thoughts exactly. I've found that I appear faster than I really am just because my movements were efficient and my strikes were accurate.

Joe Shuras

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Early in my training, I would become fixated on the "technique" instead of the movement...if that makes any sense to anyone.

Makes perfect sense, this happens to many martial artists early on. I make sure I stress to my students that the techniques are just that, 'a means to an end and not the end itself '......a training aid. They are a method or vehicle to drive home to the student the idea or concept while teaching them how to move with speed, power and accuracy. - Joe

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Danjo,
In Kenpo the understanding of pre-set patterns is but one side of the thought process.
When you interact with an opponent you will usually see multi doorways for various target areas, these doorways / targets should be viewed as a multi pattern. Now you only have to use a multi pattern of strikes that match.
Following a pattern is easy, no heavy though process is required making for a faster response time.
Kenpo Hands, why they respond so fast.
Have a good day,
:ultracool

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Matt, I like that little saying by Prof. Kimo and it also goes along with what GM Cunningham said about what the pre-sets help develop. For me, and maybe others, the hard part was understanding that the pre-sets, like boxers combinations, should be viewed as training tools, a means to an end, not the end itself. Early in my training, I would become fixated on the "technique" instead of the movement...if that makes any sense to anyone.

makes lots of sense...it is the same with combinations...kempos ...weapons defenses...and forms

respectfully,
Marlon

gixxershane

Green Belt
Reaction score
The phrase "Kenpo/Kempo Hands" has been used by various practitioners for years. I have a video with that title by Larry Tatum and also by Nick Cerio. However, they are quite different in application, though both are using multiple hand striking. I've seen the lightning-fast strikes by some that do not seem to be very powerful, and the very powerful strikes by some that do not seem to be very fast. Here's the question: how do you tend to strike when employing "Kenpo Hands"? Do you favor speed over power, or the opposite? Do you favor a rapid flurry of less powerful strikes or a few well placed powerful shots? Do you favor actual blows delivered by the hand, or clawing and poking type strikes?

i like to mix it up.. some shots dont need all the power that you can muster up. some shots dont need the speed. so i guess it would all depend on the application.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps. But that could often be just part of deconstructing the movement. Now, if that is all that gets taught, you are right. But arm power is a component of powerful hitting, and should be addressed.

Absolutely.

Latest Discussions