kenpo knives

OP
K

KenpoDragon

My old instructor used to call it filleting (fill-ay-ing) the fish.You have to clean it before you can cook it. A weapon is an extension of the arm,whether it be a knife or a stick.

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My instructor obtained his 5th black from Mick Pick and teaches the principles and concepts of using the knife starting at 2nd brown, I must say it's a very impressive weapon. I also wanted to ask if anyone here is familiar with the type of metal used to make the Kenpo 2 knife. The reason I'm asking is because out of curiosity I took my Kenpo 2 knife to a shop to ask them how much I could get from it if I sold it (I would never ever ever do this by the way) and he told me the metal was not very good quality and I wouldn't get much. Anyone familiar enough with the knife to give me some feedback on that? Cause personally I was very disappointed.

OP
M

M F

Most everything made by United Cutlery, including the Kenpo2, has 420J2 blade steel. It is an inexpensive steel that is easy to machine and therefor easy to produce mass quantities of knives. 420J2 is a pretty low end steel from a users standpoint. It is pretty soft compared to other common blade steels and doesn't hold an edge well comparatively. It is normally used on knives and swords used for display purposes.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is disappointing to me. I had hoped for better, not that the blade is a "carry" one, but I still would like the quality to have been there. I understand for all the "fantasy" blades designed by Gil Hibbon, they will never really see use. I suppose this is not a "working" knife either, but I like the design and heft of the Kenpo II.

How about the original knife? I was given mine by my students about 7 years ago. Is the steel the same?

Thanks,
-Michael

OP
M

M F

Mr. Billings,
What do you mean when you say "the original knife"? Do you mean a hand-made Hibben original, or possibly the Kenpo I knife? If it is a hand-made it is definitely not 420j2, but if it is a United Cutlery product, I would guess that it is 420. I can't say for sure because I have never seen the specs on the Kenpo I. Don't get me wrong here. 420J2, while not the best steel, has been used for a long time, and many people are happy with it's performance.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is definitly not a hand made Hibbon, although it is a signed and numbered copy. I am not sure if it is a United Cutlary, but I suspect it is. Nonetheless, the value is in the link to Mr. Parker and the fact My Student's presented it to me for a birthday present the 1st year my Austin school was open.

Oss and Thanks,
-Michael

OP
C

clapping_tiger

Has anyone here seen the new Kenpo Claw 2? I like the look of it and plan to buy one after it's release. It seems to have a lot of possibilities. I like the Karambit (??SP??) influence. I have seen them for advanced sales on Ebay. If you put in a search for "Hibben Claw" it should pop up. Anyone have any thoughts on this knife.

teej

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Concerning the Hibben Kenpo knives,

You can contact Gil Hibben and have a custom knife made by him personally. (not a mass produced model from United)

He will get a mold of your hand in some kind of clay, and make the handle of your knife fitted to your hand. Very personal don't you think.

I have seen a few of these some of my friends have. He also custom makes a slightly smaller version of the Kenpo 1, (this one is not mass produced that I know of). I liked this one a lot. A little more practical, lighter because it is smaller. And my friends hand is similar to mine, so it fit my hand nicely. ( I was there when Gil delivered it to my friend)

FYI, yours in Kenpo,
Teej

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rosewood handles....... left and right grips. {scabbards signed personally by Mr. Parker}

Attachments

• $lparkerfighteropen.jpg
    $lparkerfighteropen.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 313

teej

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here is the phone number to Gil Hibben's shop in KY.

So for info on ordering a Custom Kenpo knife you can call Gil @

(502)222-1397

Teej

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score
In another thread (the sticks) there was a little talk about the kenpo knives. I have heard of this, but have never seen the knives used in kenpo by someone who had training. I have applied some of my techniques with a knife in each hand but I am interested in learning more. I was wondering if anybody has any more information on this or can point me in the right direction. I saw that Larry Tatum has a video set out, does anyone know if it is any good? I have never met or seen Larry Tatum move but I heard his videos are decent.
I have been in Kenpo (Tracy and Ed Parker (American Kenpo) for forty some years. I have written numerous articles in martial art magazines. I can only tell you about me. I learned the double knife form for Kenpo years ago. since then, I have created by own single karambit techniques using Kenpo. The one thing I've done it research into many professional knife fighters books on "defense and blocking." From there I developed the blocking system I would use and then used the Kenpo empty hand techniques but with knives. I did change a little on the targets of the techniques I've used. The karambit I think, causes much more pain than a regular straight knife. You can also hook a joint and control your attacker.
Each must find his own way in the various areas of Kenpo. I hope you find yours. Study just parts of Phillipino and Asian arts in knife fighting and add them to your Kenpo.
I think most do not practice much knife in Kenpo because the techniques are made for double knives and in real life, at the most we would be using one knife.
Sifu
6th degree black

Latest Discussions