kenpo knives

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rob_Broad
I always thought they were 2 seperate knives with similar appearances.

Nope, if you go to hibbenknives.com (Mr. Hibben's spanky new homepage) and click on 'Martial Arts', next to the Kenpo 2 it says 'Alaskan Survival (Previously Known as the Kenpo II)'...

Ian.

XtremeJ_AKKI

Green Belt
Reaction score
Paul Mills has designed several combat knives for use in Kenpo application ( not to mention, one HELL of a knife and club curriculm, based on the AKKI Universal Weapons concept ).

The Mills Back-Up Knife:

knife999a.gif

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by XtremeJ_AKKI
Paul Mills has designed several combat knives for use in Kenpo application ( not to mention, one HELL of a knife and club curriculm, based on the AKKI Universal Weapons concept ).

The Mills Back-Up Knife:

knife999a.gif

I like those Mills knives a lot, but they're a bit too pricey for my pocket (especially the $275 one!), are they hand made or something?

Ian.

OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

Yeah, all of Mr. Mills' knives are hand made using ats-34 or better steel. The knife is a bit pricey, but it's excellent quality. I'm still able to shave my arm with the blade ( I've never had a knife that could do that).

I can't wait to get one of the new folding fighters. Just like all the others, the folder has a belly to facilitate cutting and half of the back portion of the blade is sharpened to allow back cutting and surgical trapping. It's got a wicked release to allow for quick draw type movements. This means that you can draw, flip the blade out and slide it into your target in one fluid motion. Mr. Mills likes to add these little characteristics to the knives he has made, I guess it's a throw back to his champion quickdraw days.
Anyway, what does one of these babies cost
Price Tag: $475.00 US

It may be a little while before I can swing it, but it will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.

OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

Here is a picture of a few of the folders. Since it's a hand made knife you can choose a few custom features. Notice the different thumb ramps

Attachments

• $photo_foldersgroupopen.jpg
    $photo_foldersgroupopen.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 459
OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

OOps I just checked back. It's $400.00 US or $425.00 for the folder with the carbon fiber handle. Any of the features, including the design that is on the spine of the blade can be mixed and matched as you like. One of the benefits of handmade custom knives.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kenpo Yahoo
Here is a picture of a few of the folders. Since it's a hand made knife you can choose a few custom features.

All's I can say is that he does great work!! I love the designs. Who actually makes them for him?

:samurai:

OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

Mr. Mills would be able to tell you better than I could.

OP
M

M F

Mr. Mills knives(at least the ones pictured) are made by Kevin Kimsey. He has won numerous awards for his knives at the Blade Show. This is the largest knife show in the world, hosted by the largest knife publication. His website is here, www.rafterkk.com . Mr. Mills has also had some knives made by Daryl Hibben. I've got one of those. :D

OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

Hey MF is the knife you are talking about the new CLAW? That looks pretty wicked.

I'll try to send you some of those pics I was talking about this weekend

OP
M

M F

Nope, not The Claw. I got one of The Sharks a few camps ago. Double edged clip-point blade, full guard. I'll see if I've got a pic of it around here somehwere. I've got some pics from the camp too. Most came out pretty dark, but I think I have a few good ones. I'll send you a few of those.

OP
A

Aaron

Where exactly does knife fighting come into the Kenpo system? Are there sets or forms with the knife at more advanced belts?

I keep hearing about it but I've yet to see it.....

Wes Idol

Green Belt
Reaction score
Back in the late 60's, early 70's, some students of Parker strongly invited him to do something with knives...soon enough, Form 8 (which was form 7, or Twin Dagger Set was created). The applications in this form are not anything that Parker stayed with (i.e. switching the grip during application).

Years later, Parker did a lot of Knife work with his student Mike Pick. Arguably there are two forms that Pick helped Parker put together. As many will argue the existence of such material, I find it interesting that he is about the only one I've seen that doesn't go to other arts for Knife training.

Most of this training doesn't happen until you are a 3rd degree black belt.

Respectfully,

WI, HI
UKS

OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

Hey Aaron,

Well unfortunately there are a number of kenpo "camps" that have nothing in common except perhaps for the name kenpo. A couple of years after Mr. Parkers death Mr. Mills, to make a long story short, left the IKKA to form the AKKI. He has since revised, altered, and created the curriculum that the AKKI uses today. Along with this, he and the board have introduced the AKKI Universal weapons system.

The weapons that this system focuses on are the knife and the club. Each weapon has 3 levels of proficiency, however at this time the second and third levels are in the process of being completed. This is not to say that material from these levels is not being taught, rather Mr. Mills just hasn't decided to formalize it yet. You know how people get when you print things in a manual. It suddenly becomes the unchanging gospel, whether it's the best way to do something or not.

The knife work, while incredibly similiar to some of the empty hand material, requires some advanced training in order to maximize it's effectiveness without being a danger to yourself.
I have seen many people who, with a weapon, proved to be more dangerous to themselves than any would-be attacker.

The good thing about a Universal Weapons System, is that the stick work uses a number of the same principles found in both the empty hand and knife material, but due to the weapon's physical form and mass, an advanced understanding of the weapon is necessary and thus advanced training is also required.

Neither of the two weapons are taught at specified belt levels, rather the respective curriculums are introduced to the student, usually, no sooner than orange. By starting so soon, this gives the student a chance to develop corresponding skills as they move through the art. I have honestly found that principles taught in the knife and club curriculums have helped me understand and develop my body mechanics, stances, and hand coordination in a way that I had been overlooking in my empty hand material.

Both curriculums are outstanding, sometimes quite gruesome, extremely effective, and completely kenpo based. While there are some similiarities to arts like Kali and Arnis, trying to compare the two would be like comparing wrestling to BJJ. Sure there are similiar principles and movemets involved but they are obviously seperate entities, each with their own strengths.

I can only try and describe what is happening from the AKKI perspective, I'm not completely sure what the status of weapons training is in other associations. For information on other Assoc.'s, you would need to ask their students.

I hope this was at least informative.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Most of this training doesn't happen until you are a 3rd degree black belt.

Why is that? Is it too much for a blue or green belt to handle? (not meant as smartass sounding as it looks either)

:asian:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Klondike93
Why is that? Is it too much for a blue or green belt to handle?

Blue Belts and green belts not only come in colors but also a wide range of ages. Adults can handle this type of training much better than many 10 year olds and many parents would be the first to agree.

In American Kenpo Mr. Parker loved the knife and believed that it fit well with the base of the System (used close in). For that reason, he reserved our knifework for the more advanced student, hopefully due to more maturity of the student and the danger of the bladed weapon.

Other types of weapon training has been utilized such as the chucks, or sai, kama or others but the "Kenpo Knife Work" has been pretty much reserved for the advanced student. This of course is not the standard today because different associations have different guidelines so this can be very different today.

OP
A

Aaron

Thank you all for answering my question!

Aaron

Latest Discussions