kenpo knives

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Buy one from the original maker Gil Hibben..... and have it shipped........

http://users.ntr.net/~gil_hibben/index.html

:asian:

You don't seem to be able to buy them on there, also "Last modified: 06 March 1998" makes me think he's not all that commited to Internet sales!

I did look at shipping one from America but the shipping costs were $60, almost the price of the knife again. Also, if the company didn't mark it used goods as I asked British Customs would charge me about another £20 (nearly $40) in import tax, which would make it the same price if not as dear as just ordering one in the UK.

I'm buggered either way really :(

Ian.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
maybe the site is just not updated or there is another one that is more current..... at any rate email him and ask for a catalogue or current site and prices for an enthuiastic student .

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love the Kenpo II knife right now. I had a pair of training blades made at Edges 2, which are not sharp and have a similar feel, and shape. You can find the Edges 2 link on my website under the links page. It is closer to the bottom of that page than the top. These are very nice to train with and allow you the luxury of not cutting up the inside of your arms when you first start learning.

UKS - Texas

-Michael

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... on there to get Gil Hibbon knives from "The KnifeCenter", but I bet you would spell it KnifeCentre. You should be able to find a Parker I, they are still available, but I do not run across the Parker II nearly as often.

-Michael

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings

I love the Kenpo II knife right now. I had a pair of training blades made at Edges 2, which are not sharp and have a similar feel, and shape. You can find the Edges 2 link on my website under the links page. It is closer to the bottom of that page than the top. These are very nice to train with and allow you the luxury of not cutting up the inside of your arms when you first start learning.

3 or 4 strips of electrical tape down the blade can serve the same purpose as well if people can't afford to buy specially blunted ones, although it's not as safe obviously.

Ian.

phoenix

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

We use many terms borrowed from the different types of cuts in a butcher shop.

tenderizing....
slicing.....
trimming......

Don't forget my favorite.... "Filleting"

Sean

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I LOVE MY KENPO 1 KNIFE

It truly is a nice nice knife, and I can't wait to get my Kenpo 2 Knife

OP
S

Self_Destruct

If you're serious about learning the Kenpo knife you should contact Mr. Mike Pick or someone in the UKF. Not to say the other people mentioned aren't any good...but Mr. Pick was Parkers top knife student and has since taken it to the next level. Check out www.ukfkenpo.com

OP
D

DoctorB

Originally posted by clapping_tiger

In another thread (the sticks) there was a little talk about the kenpo knives. I have heard of this, but have never seen the knives used in kenpo by someone who had training. I have applied some of my techniques with a knife in each hand but I am interested in learning more. I was wondering if anybody has any more information on this or can point me in the right direction. I saw that Larry Tatum has a video set out, does anyone know if it is any good? I have never met or seen Larry Tatum move but I heard his videos are decent.

The upcoming Escrima-Kenpo Summer Camp, in Buffalo, NY will feature "Kenpo Joe" Rebelo, from New Bedford, MA who will teaching Kenpo Knife - Single and Double Blades. In addition, I will be offering a seminar at the same camp on the Gunting Knife. My background is in Tracy System Kenpo, Modern arnis and Pancipanci Eskrima. The use of the knife is a part of the training within the FMAs.

The following is information about the camp and the presenters:

The Escrrima - Kenpo Summer Camp is open to any and all interested people without regard for experience or style. We are offering an open training opportunity that will allow everyone to see and experience how Escrima/ Arnis and Kenpo/Kempo can and in some cases have been blended to establish a seamless art that can be taught under either name.

Punong Guro TOM BOLDEN
PG Bolden has nearly 40 years of training experience in Pancipanci Eskrima, CHA-3 Kenpo and Modern Arnis as his primary arts. He was awarded the title of "Senior Master" at the Kenpo Gathering of Eagles, in 2001. He is the Senior Teacher of the Pancipanci System of Eskrima, a family art that he learned directly from Master Florintino Pancipanci, as a closed door student, in Hawaii, during the 1960's and 70's. He will cover the transitions/translations of single stick self defense applications to empty hand applications and the connections between Hawaiian based Eskrima and CHA-3 Kenpo. If asked, i am sure that he will add knife aspects to his presentations.

Shihan JOSEPH (Kenpo Joe) REBELLO
Joe Rebello, is an established recognized Kenpo player in New England and trained under the late GM Ed Parker on several ocassions and he has nearly 25 years of experience in the art plus a background in several Filipino Arts. He will present the American Kenpo Single and Double Knife tactics for both defensive and counter-attacking modalities.

Shihan ERNEST McPEEK
Tracy System Kenpo & Kenpo Goshin Jitsu;
Will cover the traditional Kenpo-Jiu-jitsu interplay as taught in Hawaii and then modified on the mainland in the 1960's, first to Parker and later Tracy Kenpo. Shihan Ernie McPeek, is the senior Kenpo player in Western New York and has been training for about 35 years. He has both Judo and Jiu-jitsu training as well. He is the senior instructor and highest ranking Kenpo practicioner in the Western NY area. He is the owner-operator of 2 very successful schools (Lockport & Batavia, NY). He is also the represntative of the Tracy Organization within the area.

Sensei DAWUD MUHAMMAD
A Kenpo, Modern Arnis and Jiu-jitsu instructor from Philadelphia, will be teaching a camp session on the blending of Kenpo and Jiu-jitsu. Sensei Muhammad, has trained in both the Parker and Tracy Systems of Kenpo and offers us a different perspective on the art because of the dual training background. He also holds an Advanced instructor Certificate frorm the late, Professor Remy Presas, in Modern Arnis.

Dr. JEROME BARBER
Paradigm Escrima-Kenpo & International Modern Arnis;
I will present a seminar session on the Largo Mano or long range single stick fighting. If time allows I will also add a segment on the stick and dagger combination from the largo mano perspective. I will also teach a segment on the use of 'Hand Tools", particularly the Palm/Pocket Stick and Gunting Knife, plus empty hand self defense that incorperates upper and lower body un-balancing tactics.

I am the neophyte within the group, having trained for only 23 years; my background is in Tracy System Kenpo and Modern Arnis - I was cross trained in both from white belt through 3rd degree Black Belt, under Sensei Don Zanghi, Shihan McPeek and the late Professor Presas. I am also the only Modern Arnis Certified Advanced Instructor, to receive *written* appoval for a college curriculum from Professor Presas. He signed off on my program in April, 1989. My college instructional program has been operational since 1987.

The training site will be at Erie Community College - North Campus Gymnasium, 6205 Main Street, Williamsville, NY
(a suburb of Buffalo, NY).

The training sessions will be held at 9:30am to 12:30pm and 2pm to 5pm on both days. There will be 2 instructors on the floor during each of sessions.

Cost: $175 paid before July 11 **
$200 payable at the Door
$100 for a Single Day Pass
Group Rates Availible on Request

**Early Bird Special Discount**
$50 deposit before July 1, pay a balance of $100 at the door
for both days admission.

For more camp information, Group Rates and/or Accomodations information contact me directly via e-mail at:
<[email protected]>

or by surface mail:
Dr. Jerome Barber
Suite 230, 5999 South Park Avenue
Hamburg, NY 14075

I am looking forward to meeting some of you at this camp.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Chris from CT

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was at our supplier's shop today and I had in my hand a Kenpo 2. It was beautiful. It just went from my "Want List" onto my "I Gosta Have It List"! :jedi1:

Take care

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
it depends upon which way you slice it!

Attachments

• $2001fantasyfighter.jpg
    $2001fantasyfighter.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 378

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like the Kenpo 1 design more than the Kenpo 2 design, but I still want to get a Kenpo 2 knife.

Someone mentioned practicing the self defense techniques with 1 or 2 knives instead of the hand strikes. Is this pretty good practice for learning to handle a knife?

Wes Idol

Green Belt
Reaction score
Parker did a great deal of his knife exploration with Pick. Edmund Jr. has told me this...Parker told Bryan Hawkins this. By no means does the sun rise and set on any one human, but in regards to Kenp Knife strategies Mike Pick is an excellent source. My years of exposure to Pick is time I feel very grateful for.

As for other experiences, get after it! I've done time with Filipino players and that exposure has benefited my training. There are certainly other Kenpo knifers, Paul Mills for example, that might serve you well to check out. Lastly, I have been in physical mixes wtih knives...never assume someone will just fall down because you cut them.

Respectfully,

WI, HI
UKS

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wes Idol
Ed Parker did a great deal of his knife exploration with Pick. In regards to Kenp Knife strategies Mike Pick is an excellent source.

As for other experiences, get after it! There are certainly other Kenpo knifers, that might serve you well to check out.

I agree that Mike Pick is an excellent source on Kenpo knife fighting.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
While we're on the subject of kenpo knives, does anyknow know why Hibben's Kenpo 2 knife was renamed the Alaskan Survival Knife?

I was wondering if it was a move on Mr. Hibben's part to do with its suitability for Kenpo, or a move by United Cutlery to make it appeal to a wider range of buyers?

Ian.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by satans.barber
While we're on the subject of kenpo knives, does anyknow know why Hibben's Kenpo 2 knife was renamed the Alaskan Survival Knife?

I was wondering if it was a move on Mr. Hibben's part to do with its suitability for Kenpo, or a move by United Cutlery to make it appeal to a wider range of buyers?

Ian.
I always thought they were 2 seperate knives with similar appearances.

Latest Discussions