Kenpo And The Multiple Attacker

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that in the end, the goal is to react, rather than have to think about what we're doing. I guess it comes down to....how many techs do you need to get to this point? While the techs, IMO, do help a student to think, I feel that there comes a time, when you should be able to think on your own, rather than having to have a tech to do all of the thinking for you.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think this topic alone would be interesting enough to explore in another thread though.

So do I. Not sure if you were thinking of the Kenpo section or Gen. Martial arts, but please feel free to start the discussion going. :)

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think this is another semantics issue.
I think the end result is to get the student to think as fast as possible, and respond appropriately.
I am not a believer in training your body to react on its own in a preset manner.
I believe in drilling so that you develop the feel for what you are doing.
I believe in freeflow practice to develop your perceptual and mental speed.
I believe that the thinking person will do better then the "unthinking" person the vast majority of time if all other things are equal.
I think this topic alone would be interesting enough to explore in another thread though.
I know that some martial arts like Krav Maga teach a simple burst pattern of moves and train it over and over to try to establish an unthinking response to danger.
I know that some forms of kenpo teach hundreds and hundreds of individual movements and expect their students to have them memorized so they can address any attack... I have heard that some have approximately 600 techniques? crazy.
I believe in teaching how to move as opposed to an opponent or opponents to maximize your ability to stay safe, and end a situation as efficiently as possible.
I think that this is entirely possible to do without hindering a persons ability to respond.
now the argument is going to be in how you train someone to respond, how quick they are able to respond, and what is to much information to try to sift through while responding... i think everyone is going to have different levels on each aspect.
I also think that simplifying it to much is bad.. so where is the line drawn on what is good, what is bad, and what is extreme in one direction or the other, both for an individual and for a group?

Not really what I was getting at, I was refering more to the effects of adrenaline on someones mental faculties (and more), but I'll be happy to continue this in another thread. Look forward to the discussion!

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not really what I was getting at, I was refering more to the effects of adrenaline on someones mental faculties (and more), but I'll be happy to continue this in another thread. Look forward to the discussion!

Started that thread here.

Latest Discussions