Karate, Kung Fu, and MMA dont mix

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana, Times New Roman, Helvetica]I thought this was interesting. This is a blog from a judo/jiu-jitsu guy here in my town. First, he says this:

OK lately some of you might have noticed that the number of students in my school has greatly increased. in fact i have tripled the amount of students i had over the last 3 months. i like to share with the other jiu-jitsuka how i did it. it's not because of my "throwdown" octagon. and it's not because of my sprung loaded GMR mats. and it's not because of my tv commercial. rather it was because of my influx of new students. that i was able to get these things.

it is because i broke away from karate and kung fu all together. i appreciate walley cup, and whit mcclendon for having me at their schools. but in looking back on it, those guys were holding me back. i have never shown fake martial arts. but when i tried to work with others, i found myself biting my tongue, alot. you see wrestling, kickboxing, BJJ work. everything else is just a fantacy. forms do nothing for an individual. the weapons shown in both kung fu and karate don't make any sense. ( i am speaking about "rope darts" and tri-sectional staffs) of course the way they train with them doesn't make any sense. because they use forms. the folklore is ridiculous, with death blows and pressure points, and hands smashing through armor. it's all very child like. yet people look the other way. the strange thing is that we are always punching holes in religion, and magic tricks yet no one ever goes after the kung fu charlatans.

on any account i can sit here all day talking about how gay karate, kung fu, and aikido are. but the point i wanted to make is this. people are now looking for reality in self defense. (not phillosophy) by hanging around with people who do stupid martial arts, we make ourselves look bad.

Then, in a later blog, he says this:

no one hates kung fu more then me. i can't even stand jacky chan movies. if you told me 2 years ago that i would have sent a team to a kung fu tournament, i would of told you that you were crazy. but things have changed over the last few years. as i get older and less hate filled i find myself much more open minded. sanshou kung fu is by far the most realistic form of kick boxing i have ever seen. unlike other forms of kick boxing sanshou includes wrestling take downs. this makes it the perfect supliment to brazilian jiu-jitsu.

since MMA became sanctioned by the boxing commision just doing bjj is not enough. because of the octagon and rounds the days of the "gracie guard" have come to an end. you have to know how to strike. and you have to be able kick and punch with a good grappler comming after you. the only form of kick boxing that allows that is sanshou.

i'm also happy to say that our school has an awsome sanshou program. due mostly to the efforts of our kick boxing coach, alex cisne. last sunday we took a team of 3 fighters to the taiji championship in plano texas. with only 3 fighters we returned with 3 gold medals. congratulations to andrew aguries, kenny burk, and terrance fergason. good job guys, i'm proud.

Man, I wonder why he hates all other arts? Your thoughts?
[/FONT]

TjThunder

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
sounds like this guy is completely disregarding the peripheral benefits of traditional martial arts training, stuff like discipline and respect. I train in Muay Thai now, but I have a history of training in karate and TKD and found those years extremely benefitial to my growth as a person, not just a martial artist. But if this guy is just training to beat the tar outta somebody then who needs the character building aspect? Afterall I've met some pretty tough scum-bags in my day.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
forms do nothing for an individual. the weapons shown in both kung fu and karate don't make any sense. ( i am speaking about "rope darts" and tri-sectional staffs) of course the way they train with them doesn't make any sense. because they use forms.
If he thinks this way about forms he either was not taught what they were for,or did not stay long enough to learn the meaning of them. He also thinks the weapons do not make sense in the form and when you don't understand something the ignorant mind chooses to hate rather then try to understand.

on any account i can sit here all day talking about how gay karate, kung fu, and aikido are. but the point i wanted to make is this. people are now looking for reality in self defense. (not phillosophy) by hanging around with people who do stupid martial arts, we make ourselves look bad.
I wonder if the useage of Gay is a Freudian slip.
Again more ignorance. People are looking for many things some rather seek out "reality self defence" others a different route.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! I wish his club was in Scotland, there some friends of mine called the Dinky Ninjas (they're an MMA fight team) who are all not only good fighters but very experienced TMA people as well, have a habit of going along to clubs like his, they train then start asking awkward questions then usually end up scaring the bejasus out of the instructor. One of course should say that this isn't really the 'done' thing to do but I'm afraid it's very funny when they do it! They only chose the clubs that are run by people like this though so perhaps it's karma "Jock style' (that's Scottish 'Jock' btw lol)

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, REAL fighting? Have you seen any of the martial arts teach: real fighting? Real defense against real fighting? Anything goes? Non-stop action till someone quits or gets beating up.

Most do not! My opinion here! How many of them have VERBAL lessons in reducing a forcefully outcome, on a regular basis.

Have you ever seen a Kata person fight like a Kata in a REAL fight?

One day people will learn Kata is a training tool ....but has nothing to do with REAL fighting skills. Your skills' are develop faster and better when you can practice against a real partner (over and over) till each technique becomes a part of you (hundreds/thousands of times).

MMA = ever see them doing Kata's ? Boxers? , Muay thai? Football players,baseball,basket ball? and so on? Golfers? doing Kata's'

Most police self-defense training do not have Kata's, YET they are very effective self-defense programs.

The world was once consider FLAT, the sun circle the earth...until the truth came out! Kata's?

AS long as there are rules: MMA"S and all other martial arts are restricted in REAL fighting. FOR THE STREETS- ANYTHING GOES! NO RULES! ...Aloha

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MMA = ever see them doing Kata's ? Boxers? , Muay thai? Football players,baseball,basket ball? and so on? Golfers? doing Kata's'
Sure they do, they just call them drills. You don't think Tiger Woods got to his level by just playing in tournaments, do you? He plays practice rounds and drills his fundamentals over and over.

Most police self-defense training do not have Kata's, YET they are very effective self-defense programs.
I would have to disagree. Check out a few episodes of Cops. The average LEO doesn't have the time on the job to invest in this type of training on an ongoing basis. I suspect that those LEOs that are effective at self-defense are those who train on their own time.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This sounds like the blog writer Masherdong quoted is repeating the tired TMA-stinks-but-MMA-rocks of type argument.

However, note that he isn't propping MMA. He's actually propping his San Shou.

That's...different ;)

Interesting find, Masherdong.

[FONT=Verdana, Times New Roman, Helvetica]

since MMA became sanctioned by the boxing commision just doing bjj is not enough. because of the octagon and rounds the days of the "gracie guard" have come to an end. you have to know how to strike. and you have to be able kick and punch with a good grappler comming after you. the only form of kick boxing that allows that is sanshou.

[/FONT]

oddball

Orange Belt
Reaction score
all in how you train?
I'm curious (never done it) how kata practices the fundamentals. Most of what I hear is that kata sets up and practices things that are not oft used.
If it's like shadow boxing, then it'll teach to pull before the hit? So, continuing the golf example, would tiger woods really practice chopping his club straight down onto the ball, instead of swinging through?

BudoTiger

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
all in how you train?
I'm curious (never done it) how kata practices the fundamentals. Most of what I hear is that kata sets up and practices things that are not oft used.
If it's like shadow boxing, then it'll teach to pull before the hit? So, continuing the golf example, would tiger woods really practice chopping his club straight down onto the ball, instead of swinging through?

kata helps you work on balance, coordination, follow up, and basics if it is done right. if the person doing the kata is really good you can actually picture a fight in your head. kata has been used since the beginning of MA for people to practice their art alone. thats what it was designed for.

Independent_TKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The original poster is very immature. From his rant, he reminds me of the internet heroes on Bullshido.com. (Very rude and insulting)

I guess the scary thing is that this guy is actually teaching others. Based on his attitude, I would not accept him as a student.

It also sounds like he has a lot of personal issues to work out. Unfortunately, he will never work out thoes kind of problems in the dojo.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For the side issue of kata-based training, we have recently had quite an in-depth thread discussing that very subject. I'd suggest that whichever side of the fence you sit it'd make an interesting read.

With regard to the core issue of the OP ... I'm astounded. I think Andy said it best in his post above.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't put him any older than his mid 20s.

I was about that age when I knew everything too.

I'd add a lack of imagination. For some reason Westerns have much less of it (or too much and end up on ADD med.s). Imagination is that which makes Martial Arts work. What I love his bashing of forms and weapons. This proves a lack of imagination.
Forms are included in every style. Any set routine is a form. Even if it's as simple Jab-Jab-Cross. As for weapons, he has clearly never heard of conditioning. In the old school days you wouldn't go down to the local gym and spend 4-6 hours lifting weights (normally). You would Sit Ups, Push Ups, go running, and swing weapons. Some would be heavy, like the Kwan Do (Master weight is over 100 lb.s), to build power. Some sectional weapons (like the three section staff), to build reaction. And so on.

No imagination + stupid Youth = Bad Martial Artist who bashes all that he doesn't understnad.
The white 17 year old from Nebraska has spoken.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, he is in his 40's.

That is extremely depressing.

His mode of speech, coupled with poor spelling and grammar, not to mention his extremely myopic view of the pros and cons of various training methods, and the efficacy of 'other' techniques and strategies simply screams juvenile.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is extremely depressing.

His mode of speech, coupled with poor spelling and grammar, not to mention his extremely myopic view of the pros and cons of various training methods, and the efficacy of 'other' techniques and strategies simply screams juvenile.

Maybe he has the mind of a child? And doesn't know how to use spell check...

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, First training drills are not KATA's.....and any drills will teach balance,movements, and so on....Why do drills, if it is the same as a Kata. Why not just teach Kata's instead?

Kata is a repetive motion over and over in percise movement. NO one fights like a Kata. It does have a purpose for training ( I agree on this) Limited!

First: Old Karate/Kung-fu and other styles of the old days are NO longer taught as strict and hard as the old days of learning.

If you were to go back and train like them..today's martial artist would be just as tough,strong,fast, and mental ready.

Today we do not strike each other (like in boxing training). We do not train as long hours(3-6) , and 5 days or more.

With classes only 1-2 hours long and 2-3 days a week? ...NO wonder Black belts are NOT as strong like in the old days.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------Hence? Those schools who teach Mix martial arts...are becoming more popular because people want to learn to fight back for REAL fighting.

In time you see many martial art school with alot Black belts...who are NOT really ready for street figthing. Karate/Kung-fu/others...NOT like teaching in the old days.

Just look around? If your school has lots of HARD STYLE of sparring and hitting? ....see how many students will stay?

In the old days....this is the way they train! Lots of black eyes, bloody nose's, bruises, and so on! Hard core training? Do you see this in most schools today? ...maybe a few?

WHY? ...mix is popular? ..simple to learn to fight for real is to find training that is more real! ..............Aloha

PS: Hawaii has REAL sand beaches...and REAL beauty....and some really bad guys too! So we too? must learn REAL self-defense. (bought three yesterday.) so far got nine of them? ...gotta find direction on how to use them?

Latest Discussions