Variation of the axe kick?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello all, I have been searching for a website or someone that can help me with a version of the axe kick.

I have always been a huge fan of the axe kick, using it as my "ace in the hole" throughout my entire time in the martial arts. I have been happy with more simple variations(standing, jumping), but after seeing one particular variation, I want to expand my usage of the axe kick.

The version I am looking for some help with is a vaulting/jump spinning/??? version of the kick. I have seen its use mostly by fighters coming out of Eastern European countries in Knockdown Karate, but also by some others. Does anyone have any helpful links or videos or tips of any nature to help me with this technique? The more I look at the technique, the more I think it resembles a sideways jump spinning hook kick than actually an axe kick. If it were not for the angle of attack and target location, I would actually call it a jump spinning hook.

Can someone provide me with some guidance? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello all, I have been searching for a website or someone that can help me with a version of the axe kick.

I have always been a huge fan of the axe kick, using it as my "ace in the hole" throughout my entire time in the martial arts. I have been happy with more simple variations(standing, jumping), but after seeing one particular variation, I want to expand my usage of the axe kick.

The version I am looking for some help with is a vaulting/jump spinning/??? version of the kick. I have seen its use mostly by fighters coming out of Eastern European countries in Knockdown Karate, but also by some others. Does anyone have any helpful links or videos or tips of any nature to help me with this technique? The more I look at the technique, the more I think it resembles a sideways jump spinning hook kick than actually an axe kick. If it were not for the angle of attack and target location, I would actually call it a jump spinning hook.

Can someone provide me with some guidance? Thanks in advance for any and all help.
First, practice jumping and spinning at the same time with your legs tucked. Once you master that with a smooth landing, add the axe kick.
Sean

OP
searcher

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can easily perform most jump spinning kicks, but I have never tried an axe kick version. I was, and still am, hoping for someone who actually does this or has done it and that can help me with the finer points.

I have some crash pads at my school in addition to the mats, so I may just try to wing it and see what happens. I would prefer to not wing it, but I cannot seem to find much on this particular technique. I would like to have it in my Knockdown arsenal.

This video has them in different places throughout. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EeDDiFQYTQ&feature=related

Last edited:

Phenix_Rider

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like a good way to tear something... I use the front leg, rear leg, and spinning axe, but can't see how a jumping axe kick would be useful at all. Adding a spin onto the jump sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I seem them at 00:07, :10, :19, and :47. Stopped counting at that point, but it still looks like a bad idea. Most of the guys throwing it landed on the head/neck. Sure, it works for them on a padded/sprung floor with no one else around, but would you use it on concrete or even with another pair sparring in the same space? You'd crack your skull and get stomped on. There was one variation in the clip that I liked somewhat- looked like a forward roll into an axe kick. Definitely a last ditch effort though.

OP
searcher

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I got the answer I was looking for on a Knockdown Karate website. The technique is going to be slightly tricky, but I think I will have it down very soon.

Latest Discussions