JUKO KAI Combat Ki????????????

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Between his gut and height that Hakama looked more like the dust ruffle under my boxspring (bed)

R

rmcrobertson

While I don't know a thing (and could hardly care less) about "Juko Kai," or whatever, I'd strongly recommend holding off on the smack talk about Mr. Furuya until you've actually gone to one of his demonstrations or read one of his books.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm sorry if I insulted one of your friends/teachers.
I know the guy did a monthly article in Black Belt-did they gather these up and reprint them

R

rmcrobertson

Not at all, sir--apparently, I say far worse things on a regular basis anyway.

I'm just saying that as far as I can tell, the guy appears to be the real deal--and a very cynical (we once had to drag him away from a Villari school demo that had two 12-year-old girls flouncing through 'self-defense,' nonsense against grown men...he was quite properly screaming his head off about it) friend of mine, very very good martial artist, went to one of his seminars/demos (I couldn't get in--too crowded), and gave the following review:

"Holy crap!"

I also like his writing. And I'm pretty sure that ain't fat.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
I also like his writing. And I'm pretty sure that ain't fat.
Do you want to tell us then what it is. I'm sorry, but if you have and inseam to waist ratio as he does then it IS fat. I watche him do a demo and he was out of breath and sweating like a pig(no pun intended) within a few minutes. Most of the public can be wowed by their demonstrations, but if you are trained and look closely you will be able to see through their crap.

R

rmcrobertson

I was writing specifically about Mr. Furuya. It's possible that you're right, but the way you're writing certainly doesn't suggest it. And as I noted, the guys who DID get in the door were as knowledgeable as you seem to be, and at least as cynical, and they were impressed.

But, well, you saw what you saw.

J

JDenz

Even the most skilled guy is still going to be judged by skill and ability to do tecniques. He looked like he had a hard time getting through that workout on the short tv span. I mean it isn't like they do something like taping that without a little warning if I was going to go be on tv I would want to look the best I could. I am not a big believer in any of the throws or tecniques that he does, but if someone is vouching for his skill level I guess you have to give him the benifit of the doubt.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Since I'm not a hugh fan of the No touch throw, it kind of lost. The manner on which he talked (down) to his students was appalling. I'm glad you enjoyed the demo-his manner, his gut, his no touch throw really not my cup of tea

bushi jon

Green Belt
Reaction score
You know I am only 6'3" and 298 pound and sweat like a pig when I work out. I work out 2 hours a day 5 days a week then I train 4 hours every other day I would imagine that I look fat in a hakama or a gi to but it does not mean I can not fight. Being that judgemental about a persons look is bad for the arts no matter what flavor you study. Ed Parker looked like a huge oaf but I wood not want to fight him.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I also heard about the guys that do demo's of this taping thier junk up to there stomach so that when they take the groin kick it is really more of a kick to the bottom of the butt.

I also heard that one of the guys who was picked from the audience to give the groin kick knew this and did more a front kick to where there package was taped up instead of just giving them the kick to the bottom of the butt. Appently the guy didn't take the kick quite as well. I assume it was onother case of the attacker attacking wrong. I can't guarantee the story is true, as it is second (maybe third or forth) hand, but I wouldn't doubt it, and would love to see it happen.

Why is it always hilarious to see another guy kicked in the junk?

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
bushi jon said:
You know I am only 6'3" and 298 pound and sweat like a pig when I work out. I work out 2 hours a day 5 days a week then I train 4 hours every other day I would imagine that I look fat in a hakama or a gi to but it does not mean I can not fight. Being that judgemental about a persons look is bad for the arts no matter what flavor you study. Ed Parker looked like a huge oaf but I wood not want to fight him.

I am with you on this Bushi Jon.

One of my dojo brothers is 6'2", 400+ pounds. His nickname is Buddha. This is one of the baddest guys on the planet. He sweats like a pig pen worth of pigs but he can kick some serious butt. Of course he is ridiculously strong, but he is also unbelievably fast and agile for a man of his size.

Professionally he does bodyguarding for various celebrities and bouncer work in some of NYC's most exclusive night clubs. He has tons of real-world action (i.e. "real fighting" - sometimes against an opponent weilding a weapon)

We actually tried to talk him into pursuing Sumo wrestling a few years ago but it is not his thing.

The bottom line is that looks can be deceiving so never judge a book by its cover.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
bushi jon said:
Ed Parker was "Husky' no doubt, given the hawaiin hertiage and his bone structure I don't think he could escape that. However the Ed Parker was not a hugh oaf by any means. The Aikido guy got a few pounds on Ed Parker BTW.
What Ed parker did'nt have was apompus, overbearing way of belittling people.

maybe it's a Zen thing

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
... and how the Honbu in Okinawa he claimed a connection with doesn't recognise him...........all for not. ...
That should be "all for naught".