Kata or not to Kata, That is the Question

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some events have 2 seperate divisions for forms...open and traditional. IMO this is a good idea, as it will be more of a fair judging. Someone who comes from a very traditional school will not have to worry about competing with someone who is doing more of a 'flashy' form.

Mike

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
MJS said:
Some events have 2 seperate divisions for forms...open and traditional. IMO this is a good idea, as it will be more of a fair judging. Someone who comes from a very traditional school will not have to worry about competing with someone who is doing more of a 'flashy' form.

Mike
Not the case in the past.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, One day someone is going to do a scientific study on the benefits of "Katas'". Is it worth while? Does it help in real fighting? Does do what it was design for? Then we may know the answer? Right now this can be debated forever. Our background from our training may influence our judgement. Everything has a purpose. Just how much benefit is it?

Please send two dollars for the scientific study of "kata's". My back ground may influence the results. Can be done in ten days or less. Purpose is to raise money to pay bills. Send all donations as quickly as possible. Mail to "Right Away" ...........hope you enjoy this.....Aloha

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, One day someone is going to do a scientific study on the benefits of "Katas'". Is it worth while? Does it help in real fighting? Does do what it was design for? Then we may know the answer? Right now this can be debated forever. Our background from our training may influence our judgement. Everything has a purpose. Just how much benefit is it?

Please send two dollars for the scientific study of "kata's". My back ground may influence the results. Can be done in ten days or less. Purpose is to raise money to pay bills. Send all donations as quickly as possible. Mail to "Right Away" ...........hope you enjoy this.....Aloha
NO address how do we send money to a straving young MA'er, atleast you have a great sense of humor.

OP
V

VSanhodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have to say when I began this thread, I did so expecting more ppl who were non believers in kata to respond. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised to see there are still people ou tthere who not only enjoy kata but ppl who are looking to understand better the benefits of kata.
Thanks again for all of your posts and keep them coming

San

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Not the case in the past.

True, and thats most likely why there was a change. IMO, 2 different katas are being displayed, therefore to make it fair, 2 different divisions should be available.

Mike

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
From an old thread:

Ah, the never-ending debate on forms, useful or useless?? Having experience in arts with and without them, I think there’s a tendency to read too much into the practice. They’re merely a tool in the toolbox. How important the tool is to you will determine the credence you put on its use.

Properly taught forms teach not only individual moves, but transitory movement, flow (even the hard style ones), proper application of power, the handling of speed and accuracy. All of that without even beginning to touch on an appreciation of principles and concepts that may be present. But remember, the original intent of forms was to give a structure to individual practice when training partners are unavailable or uninterested. On the flip side, I’m always struck by those who denigrate the use of forms, yet will drill combinations on the heavy bag or with a partner without complaint. Are these not just mini-forms in their own way, teaching the very same thing? Of course this is where aliveness, spontaneity, reflexive reaction all raise their head as the next step in the process. All just tools.

Bottom line—individual preference prevails. Even if you are in an art that teaches forms, you’ll only get out of it what you put into it. If you’re in an art that doesn’t teach forms, you may be a tool shy in your toolbox, but if you’ve never used it you probably won’t miss it.

Respects to all regardless of which side of the fence you’re on!
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bottom line—individual preference prevails. Even if you are in an art that teaches forms, you’ll only get out of it what you put into it. If you’re in an art that doesn’t teach forms, you may be a tool shy in your toolbox, but if you’ve never used it you probably won’t miss it.

I like this as closure...as of the moment I have been racking my brain to add to it...